So I just bought an Oculus Rift S...

EdL

Naked and Afraid
So I just bought an Oculus Rift S and ... was I expecting too much?

I've been testing for an hour and my initial impression is the visuals are soft, fuzzy and give the feeling of blurred vision.

I have AA on 3x and super-sampling at 1.5x. Any higher and my Vega64 drops frames.

To be honest, unless I have some settings wrong, I'm pretty let down by the experience. :(

edit: perhaps I've been spoilt by my Ultrawide which is not only high rez but high pixel density. The difference between the screen and VR is like watching a television from the 80s!

but right now for me, I'm just not sold. I so wanted to love this!
I come in peace, I always did, I don’t understand why you thought I was agressive toward you, I was not and I apologize if I inflicted you any anger or frustration.
My first post back to your OP, I wrote that from what I was reading and understood, VR might not be for you and I tried to explain why in that post.

VR has limitations and from my experience either the obvious advantages make the limitations maters or not. In my case, they do not matter because I am totally overwhelm by the advantages of VR. Other people cannot get over the limitations, I understand, it is ok, but I make me sad when they waste their precious time trying to alleviate the limitations
In VR present technology state, they are no way to make them go. They can be minimized, but they are always there. Screen door, fuzzy in the distance, high GPU requirement, etc... we have to live with it to get the VR magic. Not every one is sensible to magic to a point that make them forget the VR shortcomings.
Trying to convert everyone to VR is foolish, even if like me it is the best thing ever to happen to SIM driving, we need to understand that for some they will have to wait for a future VR generation of goggles and GPU to be able to enjoy them.
I hope it eventually grows on you to a point you enjoy it as much as I do, but my recommendation stands, you might maybe be better to forget it for now and spend your precious time on a technology more aligned whit what matters to you.

Upvote 0
I come in peace, I always did, I don’t understand why you thought I was agressive toward you, I was not and I apologize if I inflicted you any anger or frustration.

Apology accepted and I too apologise for getting a bit heated in reply!

VR has limitations and from my experience either the obvious advantages make the limitations maters or not. In my case, they do not matter because I am totally overwhelm by the advantages of VR. Other people cannot get over the limitations, I understand, it is ok, but I make me sad when they waste their precious time trying to alleviate the limitations
In VR present technology state, they are no way to make them go. They can be minimized, but they are always there. Screen door, fuzzy in the distance, high GPU requirement, etc... we have to live with it to get the VR magic. Not every one is sensible to magic to a point that make them forget the VR shortcomings.
Trying to convert everyone to VR is foolish, even if like me it is the best thing ever to happen to SIM driving, we need to understand that for some they will have to wait for a future VR generation of goggles and GPU to be able to enjoy them.
I hope it eventually grows on you to a point you enjoy it as much as I do, but my recommendation stands, you might maybe be better to forget it for now and spend your precious time on a technology more aligned whit what matters to you.

I agree with your points and yes the immersion is amazing!

From my personal perspective I didn't realise how obvious the screendoor effect was and I wasn't ready for it. I think that's what threw me initially, but it has certainly grown on me. Certain tracks are worse than others for it.

In order to get comfortable with VR I need to look past the shortcomings and enjoy what VR brings to the table. I'll definitely be trying the Valve Index as that's said to have an improved image fidelity over the Oculus S, it might be just that bit better that it feels more comfortable to me.

All being said, I am slightly quicker and slightly more consistent in VR... so that's a good thing. :)

Upvote 0
I didn't realise how obvious the screendoor effect was
And the rift s is supposed to be a good one on that aspect,:confused:, better than the CV1 and miles better than the DK2 I started VR with.
Maybe starting with DK2 trained me to see past the SDE,:D, as even on the CV1, I don't see it anymore, of course if I look for it, it is there, clear as day.
Maybe, it will be the same for you, as time pass, the limitation are not so obvious anymore.:)

Upvote 0
And the rift s is supposed to be a good one on that aspect,:confused:, better than the CV1 and miles better than the DK2 I started VR with.
Maybe starting with DK2 trained me to see past the SDE,:D, as even on the CV1, I don't see it anymore, of course if I look for it, it is there, clear as day.
Maybe, it will be the same for you, as time pass, the limitation are not so obvious anymore.:)

Yeah I think you're right, jumping from the first gen VR to the latest is probably a good upgrade. I'd probably have a more favourable opinion if I tried the very first headsets, because I know those were a bit fuzzy.

I will say, if this is how good it's getting within a year or two, I can only imagine how amazing things are to come. GPU meltingly good!

Upvote 0
Just to fan the flames here...

VR is very cool, but VR with motion... That is freaking amazing!

I'm running a Rift with motion and transducers. Being in VR and feeling motion as well as the engine rpms when you grab the stick and road texture/bumps in the pedals and seat just makes a world of difference.

You truly feel like you are in that car.

Upvote 0
Just to fan the flames here...

VR is very cool, but VR with motion... That is freaking amazing!

I'm running a Rift with motion and transducers. Being in VR and feeling motion as well as the engine rpms when you grab the stick and road texture/bumps in the pedals and seat just makes a world of difference.

You truly feel like you are in that car.

Must-resist-the-urge-to-spend-on-motion-cockpit. :roflmao:

Upvote 0
Do you mean the P1X self-build?

*I'm not talking seat mover, I would never buy one of those.
I mean FULL motion.
You need your own rig to base it on.
Most people use an aluminium rig, but I have seen others use wooden ones too.
Its a self build system called an SFX100 (there is a thread about it https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/the-simfeedback-ac-diy-motion-simulator-thread.159524/).
It takes a little work and knowledge, but not too bad (if you can use a hex/allen key and follow instructions you can build it).

Here is mine...

image0.jpg

Upvote 0
Do you mean the P1X self-build?

*I'm not talking seat mover, I would never buy one of those.

I think this is a YMMV situation. It works a lot better than you may think it does. I'm very happy with my NLRv3. It does a phenomenal job in Rally where I spend a lot of my time and feels good on the track. Most importantly the immersion is amazing! I feel like I'm in the car.

However, if I were more of a track guy and was actually racing competitively, I may feel different. I know that some people are very particular about having any flex in their system and the seat pivot does have a bit of play. I don't notice it in game and we are all using load cells so it isn't the motion so much as the force we are exerting on the pedal. I haven't noticed any issues with braking consistency because of seat movement. I did dialed back the effects for braking and accelerating a bit so I didn't feel it impact my braking. With a full chassis mover, you wouldn't need to dial those effects back. Still it all feels very believable.

Anyway, I'm not trying to push you into something you have strong feelings about and if you have the space for it, there are a pile of people who love their SFX-100 and D-Box systems.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back