So excited for Samsung Odyssey Plus

GEO147

Premium
So I set up my VR headset and used it in AC for a few hours last night, felt a little I'll after 5 mins. Took it off for a minute or two then races for another hour or two with no issue.

Fast forward to today and I tried it again for a couple of hours and was blown away with how amazingly well it works. It's like magic. I was during the 650s at Mugello in AC with the Fanatec 650 rim. Amazing.

At the end of my session I stood up and marvelled at the 650 from the outside and all the amazing detail. Again like magic.

Was very very I'll afterwards l. Didn't vomit but it really did ruin my Christmas day. I couldn't eat. Couldn't watch TV as I was so nautious. Does this mean be not for me? So dissapointing if that's the case.
I don't think I was getting 90 fps in it tho. Would that have caused it.

Any advice on what I can or can't do to limit this sickness would be appreciated.

Yep short stints and long breaks at first, let's your body and mind get used to the different motion senses. Before long you'll be knocking out 2 hour sessions with ease, lock to horizon is an option worth pursuing but it's not for everyone so try with and without.

8 have a 2080 and a 3770k at 4.4 and think I'm struggling to get 90 fps.

Any assistance in settings would be appreciated.

Also how do I set up an fps monitor inside the headset?

Where the majority of VR compatible sim racing titles are concerned, the cpu tends to be the bottleneck. I suspect that even an Intel 9700K will drop the odd frame in full grid online races - especially if the car or track has been poorly optimised.

I would recommend avoiding online races until I'd got my racing/sea legs. Maybe do some hot lapping or use another title - rfactor 2, raceroom, project cars 1 or 2?

P. S. Avoid ACC in VR. It's :poop:

You have to upgrade. Ivy Bridge is too old and is not up for the job anymore, especially in VR. I also have 2080 but my CPU is 9700K and I have no problems getting 90 fps in AC even against full grid of AI cars. I had 3570K @4.4GHz before and it was a clear bottleneck

Was very very I'll afterwards l. Didn't vomit but it really did ruin my Christmas day. I couldn't eat. Couldn't watch TV as I was so nautious. Does this mean be not for me? So dissapointing if that's the case.
I don't think I was getting 90 fps in it tho. Would that have caused it.

Any advice on what I can or can't do to limit this sickness would be appreciated.
I believe that by default you don't have reprojection turned on on WMR headsets and given your old CPU you were likely struggling to get stable 90 fps. When your PC can't do 90 fps and there's no reprojection some frames simply get dropped which results in rather noticeable choppiness which may contribute to motion sickness.

Until you get a better CPU you can go to Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings and edit default.vrsettings file there. You need to uncomment motionReprojectionMode setting and set it to either auto or motionvector. The latter will force 45 fps reprojection mode, while auto will turn in on when it sees that you PC can't do 90 fps.

I use forced mode for American Truck Simulator, because that game often struggles to run at 90 on my machine (have lot of mods including one with dense traffic installed) and switching into and out of reprojection mode in that game produces some weird motion artifacts, so I'd rather have it running in reprojection all the time.

Auto setting worked fine for me in AC back then when I had 3570K and 1070, but it was several months ago and it was with older SteamVR and MixedReality versions, so you have to try it for yourself.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Reprojection is still a performance dog in WMR and due to overhead can drop you into 45fps in auto when you can sustain 90 without it. But for night races there is no alternative.

What do people use to monitor fps in VR?

In AC you can select the 'Render Stats' app - or select show fps in your steam settings - then take a peek @ your desktop when you're wearing the WMR. I own an Oculus Rift & that also allows me to see the render stats, so I imagine that would also be possible in the Odyssey+.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys as I really want this to work out. I've been looking at the 3700x as an upgrade. Would that be good enough?

Thanks for all the help guys as I really want this to work out. I've been looking at the 3700x as an upgrade. Would that be good enough?
Probably, but I went with 9700K for the same money because of better single-threaded performance which I believe is what counts for VR simracing. Those few % of difference could be make it or break it case for VR

I would think the R5 3600X or the Intel i5 9600KF as cheaper alternatives are worth looking at. I upgraded a few months ago from an Intel 3770 (non-k... boost @ 3.9ghz ) to an AMD R5 3600X (4.4ghz same as 3700x but less cores/threads) and I still experience the occasional stutter. Not to the same degree, or as often but it can be unplayable at times (i.e., for me @ Laguna in the AC RD race). I think Ernie @Kek700 has an i5 9600K and might be able to give you some guidance.

Thanks lads. I will look into it a bit more. I just hate the fact that Intel removed the hyperthreading from the I7 line which is main reason I was considering the 3700. But if the 9700 is better for sim racing/vr then I'll go that route.

Not sure about guidance, problems with stutter is that it is usually fleeting, so finding a cure is difficult or a reason for stutter.
I normally get a small amount of stutter from switch on which shows up in the first part of the lap, then it disappear maybe for months. I only use a monitor, but no doubt it would occur with VR.
I have put effort into getting the power management correct for everything within the PC environment. Trouble with win 10, it considers the PC to be a power saving laptop.
The 9600k is a sweet spot, especially for AC and ACC, I paid just less than £200 for it not sure of prices now, like all things like this you then start to factor in MB, that becomes a problem, just a guess but I think you could open a can of worms for yourself if you skimp on the quality of the MB for the 9600k.
Then I had no end of problems cooling it, I know it was in the summer, we had a bit of a hot spell.
I think you are going to need a 240 radiator, my AIO 120 just did not cut it. Cannot comment on air cooling.
So a relatively bargain of a 9600k starts to look expensive, if I left it at stock clock speed things may have been better, come to think of it, still tried to cool it at stock, same cooling problem, clocked all cores at 5Ghz in the end, but with a 120 rad and a custom cooling loop, more expense.:(

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 127 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 100 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 134 13.8%