Small comparison between Simrig SR-1 and SFX-100 motion rigs

Peter Koslowski

TIKAL SPORT
After I bought the Simrig SR-1 in November 2019 and enjoyed using it until the end of February 2020, I decided to build the SFX-100 together. Not because the Simrig SR-1 is bad, but because my fingers were itching to tinker. And also because of the slightly better performance data of the SFX-100. Now I'm on the road with the SFX-100 for about a month and will try to show you the differences in a short and concise way.

You order the Simrig SR-1 system, and it's there within a week! Ready to install!

SFX-100 is ordered in parts from several suppliers and has to be assembled with better manual skills! Above all, 3D printing is a challenge!

The Price
Simrig SR-1 2900€
SFX-100 about 2500€
The weight
Simrig SR-1 approx. 14kg
SFX-100 approx. 32kg (Driver approx. 4kg)
Power consumption full power
Simrig SR-1 0.5kW (normal approx. 200W)
SFX-100 3kW (normal approx. 300W)
Probably the power consumption will be similar in normal use!
Performance data
Simrig SR-1
70mm way
100mm/s
7ms (manufacturer's specification)
SFX-100
100mm (110mm Thanos) way
up to 250mm/s
approx. 10-15ms
Software
Simrig SR-1
Easy to understand settings, good overview, profile storage, constant updates, automatic clipping corrections, service mode
SFX-100
Good overview, all telemetry data can be used individually and assigned to the actuators, the motion can be fine-grained, many games are supported
Service
Simrig SR-1
The team from Simrig is simply top in service. Emails are answered the same day, even on weekends. The help and support is great. The buyer of my used SR-1 was also very well served. This is how all hardware manufacturers should be set up.
SFX-100
Only the community can help you, but there are many experts who give good advice. In case of emergency the developer of the kit will help you.
Driving experience
Simrig SR-1
For me, the Simrig SR-1 was the first motion system I got to know. The first lap on the Nordschleife with a DTM car from Raceroom was really good. Every bump and slope was noticeable and I did five laps and thought, wow, the 2900€ is well spent! Of course I drove all the other Sims and I think that the Simrig SR-1 is doing its job really well. The settings of the software allow every taste, from hard to soft, GT, Rally, Formula or a normal road car.
SFX-100
When I had finally assembled the system, the big moment of the first ride came! I didn't expect miracles, since I already knew Motion. But what I noticed during the first ride with the Porsche Spider 918 was the clear feedback from the rear. When I broke out I felt how well the software implemented the tractionloss. My driving reaction was intuitive counter-steering and stabilization. I didn't know this before and I was impressed by the software implementation. When I had been working with the SFX-100 for several days, the time had come to take the SFX-100 system to the limit. So I set all the controls to full and wanted to drive the COBRA brutally around the Nordschleife. I'M GLAD I DIDN'T BREAK ANYTHING!!! The power of this system should not be underestimated. No one is liable for any damage! I hit the emergency button after ten seconds.

Synopsis

I can recommend both systems, although the SFX-100 does slightly better! It is a bit more sensitive and faster. Also the advantage of being able to use all telemetry data in the software gives the whole thing more potential. Maybe Simrig will work on his software. Both don't take much from the volume. The Simrig clatters a little while driving, the SFX-100 produces a slight scraping noise through the linear bearings. So if you're thinking about building a motionrig, you should go for the SFX-100 if you're good with your hands. If you need a plug and play solution, buy the Simrig.

Thank you very much for writing the conparison.*

How much of your SFX-100 investment was your 3D printer and materials?

*New English word meaning to compare the pros and cons of two items. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First I had the parts printed, the guy took 320€. He printed the parts very nice but unfortunately not quite right! One linear bearing support is already broken. Luckily I bought a 3D-printer (Ender 5 280€) and after I finally found the right settings, I could reprint the part. If everything works out at first go, you might be able to reduce the cost of the SFX-100 to under 2000€! Then I need a new aluminium profile because I had slopped when screwing in the threaded sleeve. Then I needed a few more aluminium profiles because my rig was warped. So one thing leads to another! But a 3D-printer is a real joy, I even printed a wheelbase holders! Now I am very satisfied with my rig!
View attachment s-DSC_0448.JPG

Upvote 0
First I had the parts printed, the guy took 320€. He printed the parts very nice but unfortunately not quite right! One linear bearing support is already broken. Luckily I bought a 3D-printer (Ender 5 280€) and after I finally found the right settings, I could reprint the part. If everything works out at first go, you might be able to reduce the cost of the SFX-100 to under 2000€! Then I need a new aluminium profile because I had slopped when screwing in the threaded sleeve. Then I needed a few more aluminium profiles because my rig was warped. So one thing leads to another! But a 3D-printer is a real joy, I even printed a wheelbase holders! Now I am very satisfied with my rig!
View attachment 365034

I know the simrig sr1 technically dont have traction loss like the dofreality but overall did it give some type of movement to emulate traction loss. Thanks

Upvote 0
I know the simrig sr1 technically dont have traction loss like the dofreality but overall did it give some type of movement to emulate traction loss. Thanks
I did not say that the SR-1 does not give a feeling of TL, the SFX does it better by software so far! The guys at Simrig will certainly continue to refine the software so that it offers everything that is expected.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years