Slowing down AI cars using CM...

I have a couple of the recent GT3 car mods that don't play nice with all the others. They are way too fast. So I was looking to do some adjusting via Content Manager with Ballast and Restrictor adjustments. Could someone briefly explain how they impact how the AI drives? Seems I could accomplish the same thing with either one of them so there must be a difference in how each one impacts AI speeds. I mean I could slow a car down by either adding more weight or restricting the engine power.

Thanks...

I have a couple of the recent GT3 car mods that don't play nice with all the others. They are way too fast. So I was looking to do some adjusting via Content Manager with Ballast and Restrictor adjustments. Could someone briefly explain how they impact how the AI drives? Seems I could accomplish the same thing with either one of them so there must be a difference in how each one impacts AI speeds. I mean I could slow a car down by either adding more weight or restricting the engine power.

Thanks...
You answered your own question, car is slower either way.

Thanks...

Hi,

i have adjusted some series in order to achieve close AI racing so i can tell you a bit what i know or experienced.
However i was doing so without CM, so i don`t know if its working same way.

I have read somewhere with the restrictor you slow down the maximum speed, while with additional weight you obviously slow down the whole pace.

From experience i made using the restrictor method was not helpfull at all, while adding weight does the job well.

The question is how far are the differences between the cars are? Even if it works well, you will not slow down a car by more than 2 seconds or more.

Just try. Add for example 100kg and let them drive raceweekend at 3 different circuits. Afterthat you will see if you have too add another weight or less or whatever. Its just about testing.

While testing take a full grid with always at least 2 or 3 same cars to achieve "realistic" results. Because sometimes the time gaps between the AI drivers can false the results.
Good luck.

The gap is not crazy, but the same two car types always seem to finish top of the field every race. The RSS Lanzo seems to have unworldly straightaway speed even compared to their Bayro mod. Also seems way more aggressive. I thought they would have BOP'd their two cars better. The Audi mod is crazy quick as well compared to the others. All my other GT3 mod cars are close enough to vary the finishing positions among car types. I will start with ballast and see what I can do. Thanks for the tips...

Just to report. Adding ballast seems to have helped with the Lanzo. The Audi is going to be a tougher task because it's AI drives really weird. It's ridiculously fast on the straights, but then comes to what feels like a complete stop braking for the turns and then turns. It's hard to drive behind it because it's actions are so awkward. So for it, i'm going to try no ballast and some restrictor. If that doesn't work, I may have to crack open the data.acd file and see if I can do some adjusting in there.

Try this:
With the notepad, create a file named ai_hints.ini inside de folder data of any track you want to race.
inside this file write:

[HINT_0]
START=0
END=1
VALUE=1.0

Any value bellow 1.0 makes all cars slower. Eg.: 0.9

I use it all the time in my videos ;)

My solution works, but you have to find the right car to swap the engine. I have tried and in some cases the AI cars rev up the engine but don't move. I think using the engine from the Honda S800 made it work in all cases. I can setup a race full of GT3 and F1 cars, with me driving a Lotus Elise, and win easily. It's funny to see the AI driving those extreme racing cars like grannies.

My solution works, but you have to find the right car to swap the engine. I have tried and in some cases the AI cars rev up the engine but don't move. I think using the engine from the Honda S800 made it work in all cases. I can setup a race full of GT3 and F1 cars, with me driving a Lotus Elise, and win easily. It's funny to see the AI driving those extreme racing cars like grannies.
Non-sense, definitely not a solution. Will cause more issues than anything.

The correct way is to use ballasts or restrictors.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%