Slow rig build

AccAkut

Premium
I've seen people inquire about ideas like this a couple of times, thought of posting a few pics here.

In general it seems like what I build here is way more "pedestrian" than most. Simple 40x40 Bosch aluminium profiles, the cheapest (fitting) racing seat I found on Amazon, my trusty old pedals (lengthened G25 and DIY Nintendo load cell brake) and H-shifter. I'm currently building this at my parents house and will move it to my flat once finished.
jpl3Aln.jpg

XHVwuOh.jpg

Steering wheel I stumbled upon on ebay was this, Toyota Yaris MMT with factory paddles. 36cm diameter.
lIZTBWJ.jpg

Paddles are sturdy and have rather nice feel, better than what I used in VWs and Audis (funnily enough the MMT transmission apparently was the like the worst auto Toyota produced)
irrmm6a.jpg

started centre section mockup

No idea about what wheel base to use, but I lean heavily towards the lowest tire Simucube 2. Will update this topic if people care.

This is the first Ive heard of someone using a rim like this on a DD wheel. I look forward to the results! Have a link to the seat?

This is the first Ive heard of someone using a rim like this on a DD wheel. I look forward to the results! Have a link to the seat?
I haven't seen anyone do it either :D How to fix this to a wheelbase is another big unanswered question for now... I guess either I'd need to get the back side of it machined flat to be able to attach a flange, or create a shaft that is somehow fixed on the "inside" of the cast. Then think about getting the paddels and additional buttons to work.

Seat was this, not in stock right now, seems like I got the last maybe? https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B076Z2PKVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quality seems ok for a sim rig, but I wouldn't use this in a real vehicle.

I'm doing a similar thing with the Civic Type R wheel for my girlfriend, she owns and autocrosses one so I wanted it to feel as close to real as possible. I just ordered the wheel and have yet to determine the mounting system so I'll be following along here as well.

I had to change my plans a little. Talked to a well known wheel maker, and to get the Toyota wheel to fit any of the DD bases would have required a lot of work like making heavy adapters or even welding additional material to it which would then be needed to machine to a flange - long story short we decided it's a better route to get a proper aftermarket steering wheel with a common hole pattern, which I'll then try adapting the Toyota MMT shift paddles and an additional layout of buttons and rotary encoders to.

I've also worked on the old shifter to be able to use it not just for the clutch but for all three pedal axis plus a potential handbrake.
gi5oYzu.jpg

AGTqmMx.jpg

its so well laid out and labelled with empty solder pads, you can't tell me it's not meant to be messed with. And yes I could just buy some Bodnar box and connect it all up... but where is the fun in that?
Better have a DD wheel from 2019 and a pedal controller from 1999 :p

Last edited:
ok, soldering the pedals to the Sidewinder board didn't work, seems like only the steering channel support the type of poti used in the G25 pedals. Means I'll rework the shifter and the pedals to a standalone board

btw why was the thread I posted earlier today just shadow deleted?
Clipboard01.jpg

I went down the Bodnar route, pedals and shifter are now running of a BU0836A Interface from his catalog, with lots of spare channels. Didn't bother with pictures as people on here don't care anyway, these days to create interest it has to be at least a 20.000€ full motion rig :rolleyes:

I went down the Bodnar route, pedals and shifter are now running of a BU0836A Interface from his catalog, with lots of spare channels. Didn't bother with pictures as people on here don't care anyway, these days to create interest it has to be at least a 20.000€ full motion rig :rolleyes:
Don't be disheartened! I've found your posts very interesting, it's great to see people doing proper DIY stuff with their rigs.

I like browsing DIY projects, it's good to share them in the community. I often see bits like this that inspire me for my own projects where I see an interesting use of different materials.

got the swivel screen installed now. Still on old wheel, but with a brand new PC
zxGulnz.jpg

in "race mode"

ujoLPxZ.jpg

the thing is not ideal yet as I lose a lot of height due to unpreventable play in the hinges. That small vertical metal plate was a try to stabilise it, but its not sufficient. May put additional 40x40 segments between the upper and lower arm. In general not a feather weight... those four screws into the wall are long

O1iq1aS.jpg

in "desk mode"

also got the rim I want to use on my future DD
kqnHSHl.jpg

"installed" :whistling: :roflmao: I'll try to incooperate the Toyota paddles onto this with a custom button plate

Last edited:
some of what i did over the Easter days:
J1jdTH4.jpg

u0QRriJ.jpg

2xmnH1L.jpg

so ofc I'm not building the wheel plate out of wood, I'm just designing it, button position and most of all the position of the paddles. Grab distance I try to get close to the original position they had on the Toyota wheel. Easy to reach but not hitting me in the fingers while turning. This mockup I then rebuild in Fusion and work out what to get made out of carbon plate, what to 3D print, how to arrange the simucube flange and so on. No ETA on when I will actually get the DD base, current world situation did slightly shift the priorities :roflmao: :ninja:

some of what i did over the Easter days:
J1jdTH4.jpg

u0QRriJ.jpg

2xmnH1L.jpg

so ofc I'm not building the wheel plate out of wood, I'm just designing it, button position and most of all the position of the paddles. Grab distance I try to get close to the original position they had on the Toyota wheel. Easy to reach but not hitting me in the fingers while turning. This mockup I then rebuild in Fusion and work out what to get made out of carbon plate, what to 3D print, how to arrange the simucube flange and so on. No ETA on when I will actually get the DD base, current world situation did slightly shift the priorities :roflmao: :ninja:
Great to see you choose the Prototipo. It's my all-time favorite MOMO rim--no, make that favorite rim ever--probably because it was the inspiration for the Pontiac Formula wheel that debuted on the 1969 Fireburd Trans Am. You have exquisite taste!

Keep up the great work.

Great to see you choose the Prototipo. It's my all-time favorite MOMO rim--no, make that favorite rim ever--probably because it was the inspiration for the Pontiac Formula wheel that debuted on the 1969 Fireburd Trans Am. You have exquisite taste!

Keep up the great work.
thx

4QIWkhi.jpg

also got the simucube wireless board to go into the rim. I plan on making this front plate in carbon, backing plate and housing of everything will be 3D printed

Last edited:
Got the thing up and running, with just the Momo rim, no button plate yet. Mighty impressive, biggest change in feel is actually the lack of noise, on the ol' DFGT you could hear the strain with the motor wirring and I pavloved myself in connecting both, now the SC2 is totally silent even if it rips on yur fingers.
Set it up follwing the settings @Andrew_WOT posted on the GD forums, only for now I use just 20% gain in AC.

But, before I try searching, is there some kind of limiter on the thing? Sometimes when steering fast (correcting, trying to drift etc) it starts beeping in two different tones and puts on a strong damping feel for half a second which is often enought to lose control of the car (been mostly running DTM cars)
edit: got it, it was the hands-off setting

Last edited:
2.jpg

@CC of course the day after I told about the "shifter never letting me down" first gear broke... like, the button simply snapped off :O_o: Took the chance and changed all of them to a new set

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 391 40.0%