Slow rig build

AccAkut

2000RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2015
I've seen people inquire about ideas like this a couple of times, thought of posting a few pics here.

In general it seems like what I build here is way more "pedestrian" than most. Simple 40x40 Bosch aluminium profiles, the cheapest (fitting) racing seat I found on Amazon, my trusty old pedals (lengthened G25 and DIY Nintendo load cell brake) and H-shifter. I'm currently building this at my parents house and will move it to my flat once finished.

Steering wheel I stumbled upon on ebay was this, Toyota Yaris MMT with factory paddles. 36cm diameter.

Paddles are sturdy and have rather nice feel, better than what I used in VWs and Audis (funnily enough the MMT transmission apparently was the like the worst auto Toyota produced)

started centre section mockup

No idea about what wheel base to use, but I lean heavily towards the lowest tire Simucube 2. Will update this topic if people care.

Reactions: north

cirris

25RPM
Premium
Jul 15, 2019
This is the first Ive heard of someone using a rim like this on a DD wheel. I look forward to the results! Have a link to the seat?

AccAkut

2000RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2015
This is the first Ive heard of someone using a rim like this on a DD wheel. I look forward to the results! Have a link to the seat?
I haven't seen anyone do it either :D How to fix this to a wheelbase is another big unanswered question for now... I guess either I'd need to get the back side of it machined flat to be able to attach a flange, or create a shaft that is somehow fixed on the "inside" of the cast. Then think about getting the paddels and additional buttons to work.

Seat was this, not in stock right now, seems like I got the last maybe? https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B076Z2PKVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quality seems ok for a sim rig, but I wouldn't use this in a real vehicle.

burbanite

1RPM
Sep 10, 2019
I'm doing a similar thing with the Civic Type R wheel for my girlfriend, she owns and autocrosses one so I wanted it to feel as close to real as possible. I just ordered the wheel and have yet to determine the mounting system so I'll be following along here as well.

AccAkut

2000RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2015
I had to change my plans a little. Talked to a well known wheel maker, and to get the Toyota wheel to fit any of the DD bases would have required a lot of work like making heavy adapters or even welding additional material to it which would then be needed to machine to a flange - long story short we decided it's a better route to get a proper aftermarket steering wheel with a common hole pattern, which I'll then try adapting the Toyota MMT shift paddles and an additional layout of buttons and rotary encoders to.

I've also worked on the old shifter to be able to use it not just for the clutch but for all three pedal axis plus a potential handbrake.

its so well laid out and labelled with empty solder pads, you can't tell me it's not meant to be messed with. And yes I could just buy some Bodnar box and connect it all up... but where is the fun in that?
Better have a DD wheel from 2019 and a pedal controller from 1999 :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat-Alfie

AccAkut

2000RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2015

finally got it where it's supposed to be. Old DFGT on it for the moment, now I need to work on the swivel monitor thing next

AccAkut

2000RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2015
ok, soldering the pedals to the Sidewinder board didn't work, seems like only the steering channel support the type of poti used in the G25 pedals. Means I'll rework the shifter and the pedals to a standalone board

btw why was the thread I posted earlier today just shadow deleted?
Clipboard01.jpg

AccAkut

2000RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2015
I went down the Bodnar route, pedals and shifter are now running of a BU0836A Interface from his catalog, with lots of spare channels. Didn't bother with pictures as people on here don't care anyway, these days to create interest it has to be at least a 20.000€ full motion rig :rolleyes:

NeoGrotesk

50RPM
Nov 7, 2010
I went down the Bodnar route, pedals and shifter are now running of a BU0836A Interface from his catalog, with lots of spare channels. Didn't bother with pictures as people on here don't care anyway, these days to create interest it has to be at least a 20.000€ full motion rig :rolleyes:
Don't be disheartened! I've found your posts very interesting, it's great to see people doing proper DIY stuff with their rigs.

Reactions: AccAkut

Jeremy Ford

500RPM
Premium
Apr 28, 2016
I like browsing DIY projects, it's good to share them in the community. I often see bits like this that inspire me for my own projects where I see an interesting use of different materials.

Reactions: AccAkut

AccAkut

2000RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2015
got the swivel screen installed now. Still on old wheel, but with a brand new PC

in "race mode"

the thing is not ideal yet as I lose a lot of height due to unpreventable play in the hinges. That small vertical metal plate was a try to stabilise it, but its not sufficient. May put additional 40x40 segments between the upper and lower arm. In general not a feather weight... those four screws into the wall are long

in "desk mode"

also got the rim I want to use on my future DD

"installed" :whistling: :roflmao: I'll try to incooperate the Toyota paddles onto this with a custom button plate

Last edited: