Slide Recovery Tips?

Howdy -

One thing I am struggling with getting a good feel for is recovering from a 'slide' - and I am not talking about crazy cooked brakes slide - but that just so perfectly on the edge slide while trying to do trail braking where the car seems to get locked into rails and stops responding to inputs.

This is with GT3 cars, so not sure if just the nature if them and as I get better at trail braking I won't see it anymore - but would be nice to know what the smart correction is during this type of slide - if there is one.

...but that just so perfectly on the edge slide while trying to do trail braking where the car seems to get locked into rails and stops responding to inputs...

I'm not sure if I understood you well, but if you are speaking about rotating the car during braking, in an effort to straighten it up for accelerating out of the corner as soon as possible, thats the high art of driving, and not many master it. Also requires a perfect setup.
I'm lacking the skills as a driver as well as the ability to set up the car accordingly to do this though, specially as one complements the other.

David Coulthard (I believe) has once said, that he noticed that Mika Hakkinen sometimes used the outside kerbs of corners (at corner entry) to help him unsettle the rear of the car and thus rotate and align it for exit, and that he managed what Coulthard has thought to be unbelievable entry speeds.

I'm not sure if I understood you well, but if you are speaking about rotating the car during braking, in an effort to straighten it up for accelerating out of the corner as soon as possible, thats the high art of driving, and not many master it. Also requires a perfect setup.
I'm lacking the skills as a driver as well as the ability to set up the car accordingly to do this though, specially as one complements the other.

David Coulthard (I believe) has once said, that he noticed that Mika Hakkinen sometimes used the outside kerbs of corners (at corner entry) to help him unsettle the rear of the car and thus rotate and align it for exit, and that he managed what Coulthard has thought to be unbelievable entry speeds.

It very much is a fine art of driving - but this was feeling / acting very different from any other sim I had played in the past - albeit those were mostly as a D-Pad champion.

I finally had the bright idea of forcing it to happen and watching a replay to get a better idea of what was going on... and I was going up on just the two outside wheels! Cranked up the ARB a little bit and no more stunt car driving.

It is amazing some of the fun techniques those F1 drivers employed to get that extra 1/100th of a second, even if it was rolling the dice and hoping physics were on your side that day.

The thing with very fast cars is that things can happen too fast for your brain to react to them, so you basically need to be able to predict what the car might be about to do. The human brain has something like a 0.4s delay from seeing something and then reacting, which is huge when you think about it, but it's there all the time and the human brain has often been called a prediction machine because it spends so much time predicting what's going to happen, we're fully aware we can predict into the future, we probably don't realise we do it every millisecond of everyday. But through practice and making lots of mistakes you'll eventually know when and where the car is going to break lose and be ready to countersteer. The countersteer has to be fast in race cars, basically to fast to react to, you have to predict when it's going to happen.

The thing with very fast cars is that things can happen too fast for your brain to react to them, so you basically need to be able to predict what the car might be about to do. The human brain has something like a 0.4s delay from seeing something and then reacting, which is huge when you think about it, but it's there all the time and the human brain has often been called a prediction machine because it spends so much time predicting what's going to happen, we're fully aware we can predict into the future, we probably don't realise we do it every millisecond of everyday. But through practice and making lots of mistakes you'll eventually know when and where the car is going to break lose and be ready to countersteer. The countersteer has to be fast in race cars, basically to fast to react to, you have to predict when it's going to happen.

The old 'seat of your pants' adage is very true - what you feel is processed much quicker and more accurately than what you see.

I am getting a bit more accustomed to the in-game queues a slide is coming - helped I turned type and road noises up and engine sounds down - and it will get better with time. But, this is where sim racing really lacks because you can simulate g-force properly.

A 20 years old actually can go under .2s...

When I started playing AC I had very bad feedback from my wheel which didnt let me feel certain things happenning. Maybe it sounds dumb, but try to mess a little bit with your FFB settings. It took me months to find a nice FFB setting and "understand" what AC was trying to tell me with the given feedback. Now everything is much more natural and I feel my rear end of the car much better through my wheel.

When I started playing AC I had very bad feedback from my wheel which didnt let me feel certain things happenning. Maybe it sounds dumb, but try to mess a little bit with your FFB settings. It took me months to find a nice FFB setting and "understand" what AC was trying to tell me with the given feedback. Now everything is much more natural and I feel my rear end of the car much better through my wheel.

Edit: could an Admin delete my triple post? Wasnt intended so, my mobile connection did this mess

Edit: could an Admin delete my triple post? Wasnt intended so, my mobile connection did this mess

Yup - I have been playing around the FFB - ran wheelcheck to create a custom LUT file, use FFB Clip app, etc... also tuned the settings a bit - and have it a a good spot for me. Still picking up on some of the subtle hints AC passes through the wheel.

The 'slide' I was talking about here, though, turned out to just be my car going up on two wheels only :whistling:

Tweaked my ARB and now I don't have the issue anymore - but my replays are less impressive.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 377 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%