Slide for slot 8 aluminium extrusion

G-Slev

Rubbish Racer & Amateur Motorsport Photographer
Premium
I have built an 8020 rig using aluminium from motedis. I am looking to incorporate a keyboard tray in the build, but need something to go in the aluminium profile that is capable of sliding in the groove from left to right.

There is a commercially available solution, but it is ridiculously expensive for what it is (https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/door-components/4207031/).

I can't find any 3d print models online - I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a cheapo solution or a link to a 3d model I can print on my trusty ender 3?

The tray I am trying to produce works on the same principal as the one in this video:

Hmm... I like this solution. I created a 3 hinged solution but this is cleaner. I've printed up a couple of things that slot into my extrusion but for this, I recommend going with the commercial offering. It'll slide easier and be strong enough to support the tray and keyboard. Even with the support from the mouse tray, I would think a printed piece would not stand the test of time.

Thanks for posting this! Think i will be incorporating a similar solution for my rig! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Maybe you can find something like the below? I'm thinking of getting 4 of them - 2 to ride on the top slot and 2 on the side. I made a plywood deck which I can attach these to. These are listed for $2.70 each here in the States.
1613582220695.png

Upvote 0
For ease of slide/movement, you’ll want linear rails and bearings. But I think you’ll find it difficult to find any to fit in an extrusion slot groove

You’ll be able to find shallow rails and bearings so the form factor will be small, but it’ll have to bolted external to the groove.

Trying to get something to slide in the groove without mechanical assistance will be notchy and wouldn’t make for a good user experience

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Something like this?

Or this

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Motedis do a sell a selection of sliders.

I've used some for a keyboard tray that slid from underneath the wheel.

It worked ok but I no longer use it due to a change in rig set up

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 286 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years