Skyline & BMW 2800CS @ Riverside - Tuesday June 1st 2010

Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
flyergtc72.jpg

Servername: RD GTL Racing Club
Class: Nissan Skyline (Race1) / BMW 2800CS (Race2)
Track: Riverside (Can-Am Layout)
Start Time: 19:00 GMT
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min (1 timed lap only)
Race: 2 x 12 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!

That didn't work out to plan at all. I'm missing shifts/shifting through all gears, up and down. Its a real pain in the rear. I like both the cars, I like the track. Which just makes me, even more po'd... lol.
Hopefully, its no trouble Thursday... or I'll cry.

Grats to the winners, thanks to Carlos, Stu and ofcourse, to RD.

Cya's Thursday.

That was great fun!

Race One - Skyline was more of a handful than I had anticipated. I struggled at first but soon got in the groove. I really love the Riverside track and these cars made it a real hoot. I started well and made it up to third on lap one. Then set about following Gary, who later overdid it and allowed to get by. I was giving it everything to catch Paulo but he was too quick. I eventually paid the price for this and I lost the back at the first hairpin, losing 2 places.

At this point there was about 5 laps left and I was 4th behind Steve, I set about catching him and reeled him in quite well. With 2 laps to go I was right with him and tried to make a pass over the jump on the outside. This led to us touching slightly but neither of us went off fortunately. After that point I wasn't able to get close enough for another move. I think I should have been more patient but hindsight is always 20-20......

Race 2 - Shot myself in the foot by going off in quali....started 12th.

Started pretty badly, nearly stalled and had to pull the clutch in again to get going. Luckily there was a tight group of us into T1 and everyone was being very cautious. I made a place or two and got in line behind Lenno, expecting a long old battle. This lasted about 100yds as ahead of Us Bob stuffed it into the incredibly hard tryes and ended up right on-line in teh second set of esses. Gary and I took evasive but having less time to react Gary was forced up the banking and I snuck by.

I was now 5th and Set about chasing down Avi and Amir ahead. I was able to pass Avi round the outside into the long right-hander before the back straight. Can't remember how I got past Amir.....need to check the replay. I was now 3rd and was determined to catch Steve in 2nd determined to make up for throwing it away in Race 1.

No matter how damn hard I pushed I couldn't get close enough. I did get the gap down to 1.5s but after that point I had to worry about Stu who was close behind. We spend the next few laps pounding round putting up some good times but on the penultimate lap Stu saw his chance. Coming on to the long-long straight he had better traction and was able to slip-stream me before putting a great late-braking move on me into the final turn. I decided not to resist too hard because I didn't want a repeat of last week's embarresment. I stuck close to Stu through the esses and the start of the lap, then managed to get close on the middle straight approaching the double-apex tightening hell corner. Stu covered well and I was forced to the outside, decided that I was going to have a go, at least if I ballsed it up I'd only take myself off. Somehow I managed to hang on around the outside and was able to keep the position as we crossed the line. 3rd from 12th, very pleased!

Overall a great pair of cars tonight and one of my favourite tracks. Thanks for picking Carlos and thanks Stu for admining, and for the great racing!

WD Paulo for the double win, and congrats to all podium finishers!

Cheers!

Really good nights racing....esypeciall Race 2 where I had a great fight with Paulo the whole race....

Race 1....I had a dodgey start when I pulled a gear and the car twitched and I lost about 6 places lol......gradually got back up the field to 4th when Tom spun and I moved into 3rd trying desperately to catch Gary but couldn't even make a dent in the gap. Then I noticed Tom getting closer and closer and by the last lap we was bumper to bumper. Managed to hold it to the end to bag 3rd :) good race Tom

Race 2...Managed to bag pole and nearly lead for a whole lap until I ran a little wide on the final turn and that was enough to let Paulo through....a lead he was not to relinquish...but I wasn't going to make it easy for you Prib :) We had a fantastic battle for the whole 12 laps....and was happy to get 2nd place.

WD to both podiums and Paulo for the double win :cool: thanks to Carlos/Stu for the event.

Cheers to all the racers for filling out the grid tonight. :)

My first look at that layout when i arrived and found it was mainly familiar ground for me,i got what i thought was a right good start from 2nd spot gradually easing my way past Eck?(yellow car),i was so mindfull of the yellow car i didnt notice the 2 stealth rocket green cars!!!,they were in the form of Tom and Prib,it seemed Paulo just basically hit the front and pulled away lap after lap,i also blame him for me going off too like Tom pushing too hard to chase him when he's clearly going unreasonably fast! :p,so Tom nipped through to 2nd but i felt good again for the chase,and was gradually clawing little lumps back on Tom when he lost it all sideways and i was clear and alone in 2nd,Prib got my hopes up a bit with a late little half spin moment that got me close to him again,but he had the ability to make some more comfort gap to the line.....stunning old school Prib performance there!!.

Launched the BMW off the line very nicely but failed to clear the car ahead when i jinked out to go past them,thankfully it didnt spin them,it just had the effect of instantly slowing me up,at the same time giving them my good start speed as a straight swap like(bum deal!) :p,from then on it seemed very tight and scary climaxing in the event Tom describes from his better viewpoint as we avoid a tyre barrier fatality,although i dropped plenty places believe me i was so happy just to be still running in one piece with some action just ahead to chase for,recovered to 5th i think?,with some good closing up pack action near the end.
Well done Prib m8 going all double-bubble on us,good job all podiums and finishers.

Thank You Carlos & RD

A night of "nearly, very nearly" for me.

R1 - Skyline

Got the car feeling nice and predictable, which is the best way for me - I'd rather have it predictable and a fraction slower than that fraction faster but walking the tightrope between on track and on fire.

Saying that, I clipped one of the Tyres of Champions on my quali lap and started dead last :)

Decent enough start and made up a few places, which became a few more when there was an incident or two (and also when the fickle finger of Controller meltdown afflicted Eck). Settled into a rhythm and started catching up and passing the people in front. Then, after I'd got into a decent enough groove, I got spun in a ridiculous incident that really annoyed me, hence my little "ffs" in chat, and was right back roughly where I started. I'm not going to go into details here as it's not allowed. So I started the fight back again, got back to 6th and was closing on Bob, but ran out of laps before I could get close enough to try and get past. Had the pace to be a little nearer the sharp end, but that incident ruined that race for me, both in terms of position and in terms of enjoyment.

R2 - CS2800

The talk on TS was about how much slower the Beemer was, and (Warren will be pleased to hear) how much Steve P hated the car. In a typical Palmer moanathon, he was banging on about being so slow, car being rubbish etc. and then got pole. He also owes me a fiver. :D I had a decent enough quali, high midfield, not too bad.

Once the race started, I lost a few places after having to brake heavily to avoid someones wobble, but soon settled down into the race. Got stuck behind some cars that were slower, and it took me a few laps to get past safely. Once past, I built a decent buffer that way pretty quickly, and turned my attention forwards to Tom in 3rd. Managed to stick in some pretty fast laps, including the fastest lap, and closed up on him with about 3 or so laps to go. Got some great traction out on to the long straight on the penultimate lap and snuck past via some slipstream and late braking. By this time, Steve & Paulo (who were about 9 sec up the road when I started chasing Tom) were now only just over 1-2 sec in front, so we'd (Tom & I) made up some pretty hefty ground. As Tom describes, he was close behind through the Esses, and into that never ending right hander. I knew I had to get on the power early, or he'd slipstream me the same way that I'd done to him the lap before, but went just a little too early, got a little slide on, and knowing that Tom was on my outside and not wanting to take both of us off for the sake of a single place, I had to back off for a sec. That was enough for him to get past, and I wasn't quite close enough to get a tow, and so brought it home a close 4th.

As I remembered from when I drove it in the 72 full field season, the Beemer feels slow, but is deceptively fast - I got 3rd fastest lap in the Skyline with a 2:03.5, and my best Beemer time was only 0.3 slower than that - a 2:03.8. Another pair of well matched cars, but it was a nice change for Carlos to mix it up into some single class racing.

WD to Prib on the double, and all the other podium finishers.

Thanks Carlos for another good event :good:

Riverside is one of my favourite tracks.
First time I drove both cars was yesterday and I loved it. They are a great addon for GTL. Superb.
Late dinner allowed me to do only 2 practice laps, but I had luck to set a nice setup for Skyline.
The start and all race went well, albeit I almost ruinned it 2 laps from the end when I spun on the left hairpin, luckily Gary was 12 seconds behind and I had time to recover in front.
As for the 2800 CS, I just adjusted the CSL setup to it which worked fine. Another nice start and this time Steven kept me honest and with full atention as he was always in my shadow, fortunately this time I didn't spun and holded the lead.

Congrats to the podium finishers and well done to all.
Unlucky Eck.

Thank you Carlos & Stuart and RD.

Cheers

P.S. unfortunately I will be away for 2 weeks, see you soon.

Compare the Skyline an the BMW, the Beemer feels slower but it is not I think the long gearing give you this feeling ,the Skyline is easier to drive an the Beemer will surprise you :eek:.

Race 1 ,Quali not good slipped off a bid an get "lap not count"so no time start p 12,Andrew in front of me going to early an when to Go game Andrew not going so I hit him ,sorry Andrew.
Under way on p10 passing Eck p9 for a couple of laps then passing Stu an Amir (both off) p7 Avi hit the tyers in the esses lost two wheels race over p6 ,then make my first mistake lost the car Amir an Stu go by back to 8 again,Amir an Stu had a good battle together till Amir hit one of the concrete tyers to a full stop,back to p7 an fin. there, grats Paulo an podium nice race.

Race 2, Q p 10 an easy on the start lost one place but after the esses Bob go of so back on p10,passing Eck again (having trouble) bud he got back on me an vice versa till the last corner Eck in trouble again (shifting?) all in 1 lap, after a few laps more Amir on the grass shooting to the left just down the hill on the long strait making a nice jump,the close group just visible,with Rickard Gary Avi Stuart Tom an Paulo with a gap in front .
Then happend where I was afraid of the whole race hit one of these concrete tyres in lap 7 engine dead race over, I hope on a remake of this great track with out these things lol,
Watching the race from the pits,some great fights between Stu an Tom with a "nice"outside passing from Tom,good fight to see.
Grats Paulo for the win an podium.
An thanks Carlos an Stu ,shame your not there Carlos

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back