Skoda Octavia Cup 2018

Cars Skoda Octavia Cup 2018 2.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hello... Something drew my attention with your mod. When using your car, the environment lighting looks a bit too washed out from cockpit camera for some reason. I guess something may have been a bit overdone with the windshield. The cockpit lighting looks normal, but when you look outside through the windshield, environment looks washed out.

I made some comparisons with other cars at same track/daytime/weather conditions and default color filter. Here are screenshots from one of the comparisons:

View attachment 295491 View attachment 295492

View attachment 295493 View attachment 295494
From outside camera, environment looks the same. From cockpit camera, environment looks too bright with Skoda. I hope this helps.

Hi, thank you for reporting, you are the first guy ever who reported this issue, but I will look on it.

I have just checked that exposure setting. It changes the exposure of whole image. The problem i tried to explain above is something different. Check out the first 2 screenshots i gave (the cockpits). Pay attention to asphalt, sky, the building on the right and the cockpits separately. It is not obvious at first sight but it is there:

The cockpit exposure is totaly fine in cockpit camera. The problem is when you look through Skoda's windshield/glass from inside the cockpit, the world looks overbright. I am not a 3D modeller or anything but it may be a modeling issue about the glass.

It is easy to overlook at first sight. Even i didn't notice it until recently.
Just wondering, did you compare it with only one car or you tried more? What about different Post Process filters? Does this issue appear in another PP filter? What about another tracks?

Last edited:
Just wondering, did you compare it with only one car or you tried more? What about different Post Process filters? Does this issue appear in another PP filter?

I tried it with 4-5 cars vs Skoda. I didn't try it with other PP filters since i use default only. Couldn't you recreate the problem on your side? May be i am missing something...

It is easier to see the difference if you set the daytime to like 17:30 as i did. When it is set to midday, it is harder to notice but it is still there. These screenshots are all taken at same exposure level (100%) for all cars. Here is one more comparison:

skd.jpg porsche1.jpg

I used Mugello for the screenshots. I also checked on one other track but i don't remember what it was...

I have just made another comparison with 2 more cars vs Skoda at Monza with PP at default and photograhic... They all look the same. No problem at all. May be it is the track. I don't know. I am so confused now... There should be something i am missing and it is most probably something stupid. So nevermind. ^^

I used Mugello for the screenshots. I also checked on one other track but i don't remember what it was...

I have just made another comparison with 2 more cars vs Skoda at Monza with PP at default and photograhic... They all look the same. No problem at all. May be it is the track. I don't know. I am so confused now... There should be something i am missing and it is most probably something stupid. So nevermind. ^^
I would say the issue is the internal windows texture (INTERNAL_glass.dds). I could send you a replacement to try it out but I am not at home this weekend so I will look on it probably on Monday.

As this was our first mod there can be some strange things going on, but now I have a little more experience and know-how and Octavia 2.0 will be a little better in every way :)

That problem happens when the ONBOARD_EXPOSURE setting is set too high in the respective \data\ ini file. To better match default content, use a vanilla AC without the shader patch, set it to use the kunos "natural" PP filter (which has minimum AE at 0.3), pick a kunos track at 10h under mi-clear weather (for a well-light scenario, but not the brightest possible), pick a comparable kunos car, launch the dev app (HDR App? the one that allows you to check current AE in realtime and allows you to set onboard exposure), position your car in a well illuminated place (as seen on your windscreen) were AE will have just changed to 0.3 (minimum).

Ensure you're at 100% exposition (PgUp/PgDn), FOV will also influence the AE, so you might set it temporarily at the default 56º so more cockpit on your screen affects AE -- ensure also that you're using the definitive driver view position on the cockpit cam.
This can also be done with the default filter, but beware that its minimum AE value is quite lower and under 0.28, so it might not be so optimum as a target.

Now pick your mod car and position it in the same place, and then lower the onboard_exposure value in the app until the AE at that track position is changed to the same or a closer value as the comparable kunos car at 0.3, so what you see outside of the world through the windscreen has a similar brightness (compare screenshots too). When you find the ideal value, just write it in the respective \data ini file. Then, finally compare it with the default filter that has a greater AE range, to see if values are still ok.

Overexposed cockpits usually suffer from this value being too high, because the AE is calculated on the whole screen and a dark toned cockpit will cause AE to raise aperture too much to acheive it's target avg value (high fovs on single screen with a smaller windscreen area being more affected). For this reason, the end-user must compensate it by reducing exposure with PgDn (this only affects AE calculations, so a on a filter with AE disabled PgUp/PgDn do nothing), this wouldn't be needed if the onboard exposure value in the mod is properly adjusted adjusted for auto AE. Btw, @Weron323, I believe @Patrik Marek was referring to correcting the onboard_exposure value, not just using page down to compensate it.

Until a certain update, the pp filter's AE was calculated in a smaller area that covered by the windscreen only, but that yebis function was removed from AC, so filters don't have a proper screen area defined in that section anymore (iirc the new shaders patch + sol restores a similar function).

Edit: Sorry, I'm not near my AC pc to tell you the exact app and ini file names.

Last edited:
That problem happens when the ONBOARD_EXPOSURE setting is set too high in the respective \data\ ini file. To better match default content, use a vanilla AC without the shader patch, set it to use the kunos "natural" PP filter (which has minimum AE at 0.3), pick a kunos track at 10h under mi-clear weather (for a well-light scenario, but not the brightest possible), pick a comparable kunos car, launch the dev app (HDR App? the one that allows you to check current AE in realtime and allows you to set onboard exposure), position your car in a well illuminated place (as seen on your windscreen) were AE will have just changed to 0.3 (minimum).

Ensure you're at 100% exposition (PgUp/PgDn), FOV will also influence the AE, so you might set it temporarily at the default 56º so more cockpit on your screen affects AE -- ensure also that you're using the definitive driver view position on the cockpit cam.
This can also be done with the default filter, but beware that its minimum AE value is quite lower and under 0.28, so it might not be so optimum as a target.

Now pick your mod car and position it in the same place, and then lower the onboard_exposure value in the app until the AE at that track position is changed to the same or a closer value as the comparable kunos car at 0.3, so what you see outside of the world through the windscreen has a similar brightness (compare screenshots too). When you find the ideal value, just write it in the respective \data ini file. Then, finally compare it with the default filter that has a greater AE range, to see if values are still ok.

Overexposed cockpits usually suffer from this value being too high, because the AE is calculated on the whole screen and a dark toned cockpit will cause AE to raise aperture too much to acheive it's target avg value (high fovs on single screen with a smaller windscreen area being more affected). For this reason, the end-user must compensate it by reducing exposure with PgDn (this only affects AE calculations, so a on a filter with AE disabled PgUp/PgDn do nothing), this wouldn't be needed if the onboard exposure value in the mod is properly adjusted adjusted for auto AE. Btw, @Weron323, I believe @Patrik Marek was referring to correcting the onboard_exposure value, not just using page down to compensate it.

Until a certain update, the pp filter's AE was calculated in a smaller area that covered by the windscreen only, but that yebis function was removed from AC, so filters don't have a proper screen area defined in that section anymore (iirc the new shaders patch + sol restores a similar function).

Edit: Sorry, I'm not near my AC pc to tell you the exact app and ini file names.

Thank you for this extensive tutorial, we will check it for sure.

I'm just making my way back to this mod and finally giving it a try, and I must say, it's great fun to drive.
Is there any chance that it might be given working headlights using the Shaders Patch?

Actually we were waiting for 2019 specs of real Octavia Cup where they wanted to add some lights, but as real 2019 season was canceled and real vehicle was not updated our mod was planned to stay the way it is. But as it is possible to make it optional in car setup and yesterday I've seen a photo of real Octavia Cup with lights it is highly possible that version 2 which will be released in a few days will have those lights implemented. Would you realy like to drive it in night guys? :)

I had the same idea, .. have the lights modelled , but then have a texture for the headlight glass that you could make fully opaque , that way you could do both with just skinning updates

I did a test of this on Primera, and you could even do cool things like have a "hole" for some text , that would be showing as light

There are a few options I can think of how to do it but all have their disadvantages. My first idea was to make it as a option in setup. It works, the vehicle has lights covered and you can put down the cover in setup screen, but shader patch puts the lights cones there nevertheless the cover is on or off, and AI is not able to put it on and off this way when trying to race at nights. The second idea is to cover it with a texture, but this way there wouldn't be an option to turn it on/off ingame and for working lights it would need another set of skins, one with cover, one without. The AI issue would be there again, some IAs would have covers, some not, depending on chosen skin. The only way from my point of view is to make 1 normal covered version and 2nd "child" or "tuned" version with lights, but this would double the size of the mod... Any ideas? :D

oh good point about shader patch cones, those would be tricky to have control over

well, .... since it doesn't make much sense for me to make mine the CUP, I was actually thinking that I might make mine into TCR / BTCC :) and that one would have lights

Actually we were waiting for 2019 specs of real Octavia Cup where they wanted to add some lights, but as real 2019 season was canceled and real vehicle was not updated our mod was planned to stay the way it is. But as it is possible to make it optional in car setup and yesterday I've seen a photo of real Octavia Cup with lights it is highly possible that version 2 which will be released in a few days will have those lights implemented. Would you realy like to drive it in night guys? :)
Thanks for the reply! I am in the habit of using headlights in both day and night, just to increase visibility in mirrors. But if the real cars had no lights I understand why they wouldn't be modeled. Thanks for the reply, and for such a fun new car mod!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 71 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 77 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 49 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 105 13.8%