Skoda Octavia Cup 2018

Cars Skoda Octavia Cup 2018 2.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
@mclarenf1papa CONGRATS WELL DONE!!!!

Now do a car yourself and show the world that you are god and spend your own money going to track days, speaking to real engineers ( sorry are you one?) spending time in the REAL garage, with real people, that you actually spend your OWN money doing this, for a computer game.

Shaun
I've been to Mid-Ohio (multiple times), Road America, Sebring (twice), and Watkins Glen to meet and work with a number of real teams. Through that, I've spoken to and exchanged ideas with plenty of race engineers. The Corvette DPs and Oreca FLM09 IER did were part of that, but I've also worked on a (championship winning) Mini Cooper, a Ferrari 458 Challenge, a Viper GT3-R, an LMP2 car (NDA), an LMP1 car (NDA), and the Perrinn LMP1 car, among a few others (that were less involved). As far as releases go, the Corvettes and Oreca are on RD.

Hey folks,

Right can we pleas stop this discussion completely now, and just refer to the mod itself.

Back and forth conversions between modders are fine, but this isn't the place for it and this thread is in danger of turning into something it doesn't need to.

Please, back on topic and stop with the... debate.

Thanks chaps.

P

Do you know what, I have never ever said this before, but I don't care anymore what @mclarenf1papa says, prove it, in writing, I don't care what anybody says, I almost lost my wife through Sepsis, and all you are worried about is physics and picky details.

Thats fine by me, go for it, fill your boots, bring it on,

Shaun

yeah, sadly here it's the world of physics, shaders, poly count, tires, etc,
We all are very sad to hear about your wife's illness, you can bet on that, but there has been never something personal here, from what I've been reading, just interchange of information in the good way.
So yeah, please let's stay back on the mod topic and if the authors would like some help they can always count on that. This is a forum that has great support from the guys who know better all the aspects of modding in AC, name it physics, 3d modelling, UV wrapping (yeah, what the hell is that?), skinning.
The better people approach with their inquietude, the better answer they'll get.

This is so unfair to the modders who produced this car. I understand the conversation started from a good place but it has not ended up there.
The thread has effectively been hijacked
So much as I dislike the thought of upsetting some of my favourite modders here on RD, take a telling. Stop it.

Sorry guys, but i dont understand, why anybody need to spent so much time, to unpack data and digg into.
Its like cooking, you can take recipe a make everything step by step and do you know what ? Maybe it will not taste good...
Just look at community reviews, they dont need perfect graph data, they dont need absolutely accurate torque graphs, they want to have some fun and i think, in this way is this mod successfull.
Its fun to drive, its competitive, its teaching less skilled drivers to make no mistakes, cause it punish them prety hard etc.
Guys did lot of hard work on this mod and im personaly very satisfied with result of whole mod, feelings of it, and driving it.
So maybe... Just enjoy this mod more on track and less on excel tables ;)

Guys I will tell you just this concerning the physics and to turn back to the topic. When we tried to set the car strictly according to real data (and be sure we had a lot of it), the car wasn't even close what it is in real life, so we had to do some compromises and went a little "off charts" to make it as close as possible to real life behavior of the car. (yes, the rear has its own mind, because it does in real life). Nobody from our team is claiming that our physics is top class or something like that, it just works as we think it should work in real life from the point of real "Octavia Cup" driver. As I told previously, there were real drivers and mechanics involved, even guy who constructed this cup car in real life tested it and gave us feedback, and of course we had one "physics mentor" who was checking on the whole process of creating physics. In the end, real drivers are intending to officially use our mod for their training and we are even in touch with real Octavia Cup management and planning something together. It is all quite funny for me because this mod started with absolutely no ambitions, we just wanted to try it, to create something in free time, to make something what will be fun to drive and just for our community, where this car is quite well known. And in the end, the development took more than 6 months and a lot of stress and nerves. I've personally reworked the whole mod 3x from scratch, because we were not satisfied with the model we had and bought another one. This car is not only our first mod, but big part of it is scratch made by 3 people with their own families, normal jobs. Wheels, rims, 95% of interior, rear wing, brakes, small details on the car body, etc., all is moddeled and textured from scratch by us. We don't want to compete with others modders, we don't want any money for that, we just hope people will enjoy this car on AC roads. PEACE :thumbsup:

I for one am totally enjoying this mod..Life can be so full of bean counters, rivet counters etc, and then the whole purpose of things is lost … Gotta go, Skoda awaits. Oh, to the mods..." keep the faith"

Sorry guys, but i dont understand, why anybody need to spent so much time, to unpack data and digg into.
Its like cooking, you can take recipe a make everything step by step and do you know what ? Maybe it will not taste good...
Just look at community reviews, they dont need perfect graph data, they dont need absolutely accurate torque graphs, they want to have some fun and i think, in this way is this mod successfull.
Its fun to drive, its competitive, its teaching less skilled drivers to make no mistakes, cause it punish them prety hard etc.
Guys did lot of hard work on this mod and im personaly very satisfied with result of whole mod, feelings of it, and driving it.
So maybe... Just enjoy this mod more on track and less on excel tables ;)
To go back on topic, even without looking at the data, the car feels rather under-damped on track (because it is - the damping ratios are very low). Having more reasonable damping would only improve the car. So, while I definitely agree that the RD crowd (and AC crowd, by extension) is...rather easy to please, there's some value in trying to do things correctly as well - especially if the car's going to be used by Skoda or Skoda teams in any capacity. That said, if that's not a direction the devs want to take the mod in, that's understandable, but it's worth considering.

And anyway, correct data in AC very rarely produces unrealistic results - there were probably other things making it behave incorrectly. The devs shouldn't have had to alter any known data for it to work correctly.

So, while I definitely agree that the RD crowd (and AC crowd, by extension) is...rather easy to please

While I generally agree with you download numbers (or even mod reviews) don't tell anything about people's intentions. Some mod shave really great 3d models which makes them look very tempting and as such many people download them even if the physics are not good. Some cars are downloaded just because they are exactly something someone wanted or because they are unique or quirky. A lot of the modders have also become very sensitive to criticism recently and expect 5 stars for their efforts and take it personally when they get less. As such there is pressure for people who download to review everything 5 stars or get called out.

I'm not sure if any of that is sign of ac or rd crowd being easier to please. It is more like the system produces certain kind of results which may not truly reflect the actual opinions of the users.

Motion ratios maybe? I know wheel ratios were something rather unintuitive at first for me. You may have had the right values but not the exact geometry

well, there's always 2 sides to a story , isn't there :)

I know mods that have been in development for mutliple years, trying to make them perfect, and yet some people woudl still complain that FFB is broken on their end and it's not good physics .. and on other hand, you can have released 6 -ok cars in that time that you seek perfection for 1 car :)

i'm not saying people shoulnd't try to achieve perfection, of course they can and perhaps should , becasue unlike full time developers, we're not limited by time / budget, as we do this after work on our own time

but it's not fair to EXPECT everything to always be correct, someone can just make a mod because he wanted experiment with the physics , and while it's great if more knowledgeable people try to help, if they don't word their feedback properly, it could be discouraging for people do continue working on the mods

I rarely look at specs when testing mods, I tend to just trust my instincts instead. To me, this car feels good to drive, and believable, with no obvious significant issues.

A 'solid mod'.

I don't really ask for much more than that. So thanks.

Guys it may look like the development of our mod is over, but don't worry, we are planning to improve the mod further in the close future, we are just doing our local championship with it, where we are gathering a lot of feedback from drivers and don't want to change the mod while the season. When it will be over (early March) we will start to work hard again to improve the physics, model and probably sounds too. Meanwhile we are working on another Skoda car, this time a little older. More info soon ;) By the way, next update will contain awesome new skins from real Octavia Cup series. Stay tuned :thumbsup:

CUcuYR4.jpg

Last edited:
Hello... Something drew my attention with your mod. When using your car, the environment lighting looks a bit too washed out from cockpit camera for some reason. I guess something may have been a bit overdone with the windshield. The cockpit lighting looks normal, but when you look outside through the windshield, environment looks washed out.

I made some comparisons with other cars at same track/daytime/weather conditions and default color filter. Here are screenshots from one of the comparisons:

skoda1.jpg audi1.jpg

skoda2.jpg audi2.jpg
From outside camera, environment looks the same. From cockpit camera, environment looks too bright with Skoda. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back