Skippy Time !!!

Hello all. Well it is a wonderful day as I got my SR Rating up to 4.0 last night so I am now out of the Rookie Class and get start my Skippy Career, which was a main goal for me when I started iRacing a couple weeks ago.
Loved the Mazda and will continue to race it in races for fun but open wheel has always been my goal so I am excited to be taking that first step.

Anyone else here running the Skip Barber Series this season? I am just working on getting a handle on the car at the current track and trying to learn the driving characteristics. It sure does remind me of the old GPL cars. Really really fun!

Also if anyone might have a good setup for the Skip at Okayama Long to get me started that would be awesome! I am starting to read the setup guide to learn how to set up the car on my own properly but its going to take a bit of rereading im sure :)

Thanks all

I've said it many many times that the Skip Barber in iracing is the closest thing you wil lget to the feeling of GPL in a modern day simulation. It can be frustrating to start with but when you get the hang of the Skippy it can be a very rewarding experience. I wonder if we should do an event with the Skippy sometime in the future.

You are right. It sure does remind me of my beloved GPL as soon as I took the first corner in it. I drove the Ferrari so I was used to feeling the car slide out from under me :)

That Okayama Long is a fun little track too. I didnt really like the short version in the Mazda but the long track is fun. Lots of places to open her up but still pretty technical in places.

Phil thank you. I do have that one and have the guide. It does seem more stable just off the bat.
I will try it more later tonight if I can get on. Bad weather here and more to come tonight it sounds like.

Thanks again.

Skippy only drives well with a decent amount of trailbraking. Normal right foot braking is out of the question, at least for me :)

The skippy @ Okayama is a great combo. Here is my setup which is not a big change from the baseline posted, I was able to get a PB of 1:45.61. That puts me in 9th place for the US world records but that won't last, I was 4th two days ago. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• oKayama-long-race.sto
    356 bytes · Views: 328
I got Iracing last weekend and have done a few MX5 races, have been disappointed by a lack of people in the Ford races and hope to get my SR up to 4 pretty soon so I can move into other things.
Is the Skippy the way to go? I have not really looked at the oval stuff and have always preferred open wheelers so the obvious choices are the Fun Cup or the Skippy.
Any recommendations welcome.
Thanks in advance.

I've started driving some iRacing again and got started with the Skippy due to not being able to drive any other cars (missing track/car combos). Now I'm asking myself why I haven't done that much earlier. It is just such a lovely car to drive!

You can really balance it and get the four-wheel drifts on, and it provides great racing as well. I'm hooked!

I just started iRacing myself a couple weeks ago and I too went through the Mazda NVidia Cup Series to work on my rating but my goal was always the open wheel route. I just got licensed to run the Skippy the other day and loving every minute of it. I will then move up to the Star Mazda at some point when I feel I am ready not so much when my license says I can. I was in a hurry to get out of Rookie so I could start open wheel but I plan to now take my time and learn. Eventually working my way up to the Indy Car Series Oval and Road.
I also want to get into the DPs at some point as that is some great racing and might even do some oval racing just for fun though. Open wheel is my love and will always be what I focus on.

I think you cant go wrong with the Skip Barber especially if you ever drove the old classic GPL sim. You will find many many similarites in the way they handle. And from what I can see it has some of the highest participation in iRacing.

Good luck on your adventure!

Very interesting indeed! Looks like the Skip is the most popular open wheeler huh? Next to the Mazda it is the most popular for road racing and I would say that Mazda is fun but the fact that it is where everyone starts no matter what you want to go on to do makes it the most popular for sure.

Unless I am reading that wrong which is possible :)

Haha 3 hours, 41 minutes, 32 seconds......
I hear ya brother! Good to see ya on here and yes you will have to stop all that running around in circles for fun for at least one night. I am planning on spending my 3 day weekend racing any fun Skip Barber races i can find to get used to racing it in traffic and doing some open practices. Im sure though I will find some time to fire up the old Nascar and bang around in circles though. That is just too much fun after a six pack :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 359 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 501 39.0%