Skinning Tutorial (using only open source software)

Hello everyone, I've put together a detailed skinning tutorial using only Free / Open Source Software. Mainly GIMP.

The tutorial covers car bodies, as well as interior and exterior windows, in detail.

The link to the tutorial and packaged files is located here.

The final skinpack this tutorial teaches you to create is located here.
rd%20bmw%20mini_3eW.jpg

I hope you find the tutorial informative and easy to follow, and look forward to seeing more custom livery on track!

Happy to know so many people got use out of it. When I first started to try and create my own skins, information on how to do it with anything other than photoshop was very limited and scattered. That's what prompted me to put a tutorial together as I was learning. I hope it stays relevant to some of the new sims coming out like Assetto Corsa :)

Hm, I can't open any directly exported .dds (from PSSG editor). I'm using Gimp 2.8 and had already a x64 dds.exe but even with your included one it only gives me "Unexpected EOF"
I've been using this plugin for a long time and edited texture files in other games w/o problems ...

In your files, there is an "fixed" template of the mini. When I open the templates delivered with the game, it ends up like your unfixed template from the tutorial. Somewhat screwed and I only see a the base color as background and no parted structures. Would be nice if you could tell me what's this fix is all about (using GIMP :) )

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 464 39.1%