Skins skinning problem

So I've just finished making my first skins and then when i save and export the file as a .dds all the layers have moved so they don't line up properly on the car in game. When I've exported and flattened the file layers seem to shrink from a corner and i'm left with the checkered background which isn't there during the skinning process almost like it's compressing the file, any help? Thanks.

Do you use Photoshop? what a .dds setting do you use?
I’m using paint.net and the default settings what makes it weirder is that it only happens sometimes as I have a base file which is the bare minimum design which saves fine fits the vehicle perfectly but then another one with sponsors etc which is the one that resizes after saving.

Post images of what the main file looks like in Paint.NET, what the .DDS looks like when opened in the program, and what your .DDS settings are.

Post images of what the main file looks like in Paint.NET, what the .DDS looks like when opened in the program, and what your .DDS settings are.
Ok so firstly please don't bash me for how this looks i still have work and corrections left to do just finding my feet, with the car being a conversion someone did it has a real weird template to the other "normal" ones I've seen.

So this is the file in paint.net which works and lines up properly in the game
working save.png
Working.png
Then the file after saving as a .dds notice the ckeckred the edge i mentioned before
broken save.png
not working.png
Then the setting's im using to save, I haven't changed them at all i'm a complete noob at this i just followed a YT video
dd settings.png

Hmm... Haven't seen that before. What is the pixel dimension of your first file? If it's not a power of 8 (2048x2048, 4096x4096, etc) the export might be adding in some extra padding to bring it to the right size?

Hmm... Haven't seen that before. What is the pixel dimension of your first file? If it's not a power of 8 (2048x2048, 4096x4096, etc) the export might be adding in some extra padding to bring it to the right size?
it's showing up as 4756x4096 as i say before i literally haven't touched anything in terms of default settings.

EDIT: Turns out thats literally all it was the canvas size changing once it's been saved it was oversized so i just adjusted that and everything is working fine Thanks a lot :)

Last edited:
it's showing up as 4756x4096 as i say before i literally haven't touched anything in terms of default settings.

EDIT: Turns out thats literally all it was the canvas size changing once it's been saved it was oversized so i just adjusted that and everything is working fine Thanks a lot :)

Glad that's fixed it!

Traditionally game engines only supported power-of-8 texture sizes, and often only squares as well. While many game engines will now accept other size textures, some tools don't like them. Looks like the Paint.NET .DDS plugin isn't a big fan of weird sizes. :)

Glad that's fixed it!

Traditionally game engines only supported power-of-8 texture sizes, and often only squares as well. While many game engines will now accept other size textures, some tools don't like them. Looks like the Paint.NET .DDS plugin isn't a big fan of weird sizes. :)
Thanks a lot just finished my first few skins figuring out folder arrangement etc now then the task of making challenging shapes on cars next using the limited tools in paint:unsure:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%