Skinning Assetto Corsa Cars from Nothing using Mudbox and Photoshop

This Tutorial was originally posted over on the simracingsystem.com forums where I do all of my skinning. I was constructing it AS I was learning the process, so obviously some of this is going to be "not the best way" to do certain things. I was going to make a post just linking the original tutorial, but after asking permission to the folks here at RD, it was suggested that I just post the tutorial in its entirety here! That said, let's get started!

NOTE: I have added notices before or during the parts where it is SRS specific, like making sure your skin is under 10MB (a limitation of the SRS Skin Transfer App used to automatically share custom skins just before races start). Follow the red instructions so you aren't doing extra work where you don't need to!

Software Used
The Goal
Since it is almost the end of the current season and I don't know what cars are going to be used next season, I figured I'd learn on something that I figure will EVENTUALLY come up. So the McLaren 650 GT3 is what I'll be doing. The goal is to replicate my typical Red/Black two tone design, complete with a skull on the hood using the most efficient means... rather than just fumbling around with a wireframe texture in Photoshop like I have been doing.

Disclaimers
  • I'm not a professional artist. I have a background in graphic design and some 3d modeling but make no claims to know the best way to do any of this stuff. This is just what I've learned jumping in head first.
  • Also, Mudbox crashes. A lot. Save often!

Extracting 3D Model
I started by using a program called 3DSimED3. Unfortunately it only has a 20 day trial, and today it ran out. Normally in this situation I would just purchase a licence and call it a day, but I was curious if there was a better way to just get a 3D model out of the .kn5 files that Kunos includes in a normal installation of Assetto Corsa. My googling lead me to this youtube video: Assetto Corsa KN5 Converter & Download

I was unable to find the origin of kn5conv.exe, but I ran a few scans on it and it turned up nothing, so I gave it a try. Works great. Here's how _I_ would recommend extracting the model (as opposed to how the youtuber above does it):

1. Create a Workspace for your new skin outside of your Assetto Corsa file structure. Here's mine: S:\GameFiles\AssettoCorsaStuff\cars\ks_mclaren_650_gt3\workspace
  2. Copy the mclaren_650_gt3.kn5 file from your Assetto Corsa installation into this folder (you can find it here: ...\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\ks_mclaren_650_gt3.kn5)
  3. Place an instance of kn5conv.exe in your workspace folder.
  4. Drag the KN5 file onto kn5conv.exe and watch the magic happen.
The result is that in your workspace folder you will now have a number of file types that can be understood by a number of 3D software packages, such as Mudbox and Blender. I gave Blender my best shot, but couldn't figure it out and there was not a good tutorial I could find that would clue me into how it works. I did find one that was enough help so that I could get going in Mudbox, so that's what I'll be doing.

If interested, here's the youtube video I found that got me going:

Cleaning Model For Painting
Once you have an .FBX file for the car you want to paint, you can import it into Mudbox.

1. Open Mudbox.
  2. File>Import...
  3. Navigate to your workspace folder and import mclaren_650_gt3.fbx
  4. Save the scene as a .mud file (mclaren_650_gt3.mud) in your workspace folder.
tW27zHe.png

This is ALL of the geometry and a bunch of other nodes/objects that you will not need for the purposes of creating a livery. So we must now delete all of the stuff we don't care about. This will speed up performance within Mudbox, as well as avoid Mudbox wanting you to add additional materials every time you attempt to paint on a different mesh. In other words, we want to avoid painting on the windshield when what we want to do is paint on the car's body. Here's what I did to go through everything:

1. Change to the Object List.
    PFRDqcNl.png

2. Hide everything in the Object List
    vK0Fq6Cl.png

3. Show only Geometry
    DWA09AHl.png

4. Switch to Object Selection, and turn on Mirror on the X axis.
    O9lP6tQl.png

5. Select geometry in the scene view that you know you will not be painting. Windows, tires, brake discs, windshield wipers, whatever. All that should be left are the panels of the car you want to put your design on.
  6. Save your .mud file. You may want to save it as a different .mud file than the original, in case you realize later you deleted some part of the geometry you actually wanted!
The end result should look a bit like this:

cNmg23N.png

...continued next post...

Last edited:
tell me how to solve the problem, the picture that I want to put on the car is of good quality, but when I transfer the picture to the car, the picture becomes very poor quality, all in pixels. How to fix it?
The quality is usually better when you add the picture to the psd file and not in mudbox. I'm not sure about the technicalities, but the resolution that mudbox uses (uv map?) is lower than the bitmap. I have started to only paint the outlines in mudbox and then use those lines as a guide in photoshop/gimp etc.

Last edited:

Nrde

didn't see your answer. here are a couple of screenshots to better explain the problem. when exporting, I used psd, the uv map resolution is 2048x2048, the striped martini image is 7636x1993, the resolution of the picture with the inscription Porsche is 1980x152, and there is a strong "ladder" here and there. looks bad
disk.yandex.ru/i/9aJ1xm-hjeJ6UA [/SPOILER]

I would just put the graphics on top of the ones from mudbox in photoshop.

I.e., use the PSD file from mudbox as a "guide" to place the graphics again in photoshop (or whatever program you use). The problem is the resolution in mudbox that you can't affect unless you modify the model somehow. Although I might be completely wrong.

I would just put the graphics on top of the ones from mudbox in photoshop.
if it were just possible to substitute my graphics on the template, I would have done so, but the exact alignment of the picture in the area of the hood and bumper transitions (for example) is accompanied by strong distortions that I cannot reproduce (I am very weak in Photoshop)

if it were just possible to substitute my graphics on the template, I would have done so, but the exact alignment of the picture in the area of the hood and bumper transitions (for example) is accompanied by strong distortions that I cannot reproduce (I am very weak in Photoshop)
Have you tried how it looks if you put a non distorded graphic there? The game engine stretches it anyway I think.

That is why you need to match the graphic between panels manually in photoshop, using the low res graphic as a sort of guide.
only for this I will have to spend a lot of time to become a Photoshop guru, to learn how to make these distortions from normal graphics, so that the livery would have the correct joints in the game. then it's better to have no livery at all

only for this I will have to spend a lot of time to become a Photoshop guru, to learn how to make these distortions from normal graphics, so that the livery would have the correct joints in the game. then it's better to have no livery at all
I would just try without distorting it, just match the graphic that extend between the cars body panels. If it does not look good enough then I'm out of suggestions.

Maybe there's something that can be done on mudbox's side too, but as mudbox is more or less abandoned, I'll probably try to move to blender if 3 painting is needed on my liveries.

Nrde

Juttie205

thanks guys, I solved the "ladder" problem. the problem was not in mudbox or low image resolution, but in the initially incorrect uv scan, which I did myself, without manuals in the blender by typing (I'm new to modifying cars). now correctly deployed uv scan in blender, and now mudbox draws everything without ladders and distortions, even at a resolution of 2048x2048

After some advice when I export from mudbox to photoshop to edit I add a stroke effect to parts like a outline etc which is fine but it does not show when I export back to mudbox unless I restasize layer which means I cannot edit stroke etc am I doing something wrong

Yeah, that's just going to be a limitation of Mudbox. Very few layer attributes come over... like opacity and layer type come over, but FX won't. What I do is save FX work until I'm 100% working in Photoshop. If I do have to toggle back to Mudbox, I tend to start making a mess with multiple PSDs. It's pretty trivial to pull a layer from one PSD into another, especially if they are the same resolution.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 391 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 263 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 252 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 184 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 311 13.0%