Sir Stirling Moss | 1929 - 2020

I remember seeing him behind the wheel in historic races and always brought a smile to my face seeing him strap on the head protection of years past. A true educator in his broadcasting and interviews an a true gem of a man in the UK and around the world. Rest in Peace Sir Stirling Moss

Very sad news :cry:

There have been a lot of great pilots, with racing results a lot better as those of stirling Moss, but in my opinion, Stirling Moss is a legendary name.
I don't know why, it is just a legendary name.

I just can think of an equivalent legendary name, Juan manuel Fangio.

Even though he was 90 I'm struggling to come to terms with this devastating news. As a youth I would always go to the races where he competed just to watch him. He had a style that almost turned a race into a ballet, a poise in the car, a natural balance the likes of which I'd never witnessed before, nor since. Out of the car he was the perfect gent. I remember seeing him once when approached by a young fan kneeling down to be on the same level as him and talking to him for some time like an old friend. He was my hero, he more than anyone ignited the passion I grew for racing resulting in my spending 45 great years driving race cars. I never rose to hights he did, never drove the cars he did, never pulled the ladies (crumpet as he would call them in later interviews) maybe he was just better looking. Over the years I met him on numerous occosions, usually at Goodwood. He never lost his flair and always was a true gentleman, a great ambassador for motorsport and an engaging speaker. he will never be replaced and is already missed by both those who knew him and those who did not. I can picture him now sitting at a table at one of the race tracks in the sky laughing and joking with Fangio whilst talking tactics. Race in Peace Sir Stirling, history shows you never won the Drivers World Championship but to those of us who remember you, you will always be a true "Champion of the World" period.

I throughly recommend the book, Stirling Moss My racing life. It's a personal account of his racing career which is fascinating, informative and funny with some great photos. A true national treasure. R.I.P

His racing acheivements were awesome but when he finished his career he managed to make a lucrative career out of just being Stirling Moss racing driver personality.He would get paid for adverts & driving at places like Goodwood & historic events.He also used to do incredible deals.Companies were happy to fit home improvements for free & feature him in adverts.

RIP for the last gentleman behind the wheel.
Seriously, I've always thought it was a such
a shame he never won championship. But
oh well... memories remain - on this great
human being.
Stay fast sir !

He was a legend, the greatest driver to have never won the Formula 1 World Drivers Title, he had a chance in 1958 but due to a scoring error at Portugal, he went to the people incharge and changed the result making Mike Hawthorn the 1958 World Champion, Stirling Moss was always a gentleman for that....its sad hes no longer around 1929 - 2020

Of Course I never met him but everytime I saw him speak on TV I listened. Intently ! I have nothing but the utmost respect for Sir Stirling. Althought he never won the F1 championship, I always considered him to be one of the greatest drivers ever.

A true sports- and gentleman.

I am very sad to hear about his passing. Rest in Peace.

One of the greatest racing drivers ever lived! He lived a very fast life, RIP Sir...

Speaking to the Daily Mail about his passing, Lady Moss said: “He died as he lived, looking wonderful.He simply tired in the end and he just closed his beautiful eyes and that was that.”

a little treat:

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back