Sir Stirling Moss | 1929 - 2020

RIP, Stirling. I'd consider myself very lucky if I live a life even half as full as his was.

One of the best to never win a WDC. F1 can be very cruel, but those of us that appreciate the peculiarities of F1 know that Moss was among the best that ever drive.

IMHO, this man was by any standard (besides F1 titles) a better driver than Rosberg (N and K), Raikkonen, Button, Villeneuve (J and G), Damon Hill, Hakkinen, Mansell, Piquet, Alan Jones, Jammes Hunt, Jody Scheckter, Lauda, Hulme, Brabham and Farina, just to name less efficient drivers who won championships. And newbies like Verstappen and Leclerc are very far behind in efficiency. He had podiums on 35,8% of his races and won 23,8%.

Maybe his mischance was to compete against monsters like Ascari, Fangio and Surtees at their best. Maybe he could win a championship if raced the 2009 Brawn or some other instant-win car... we will never see it, but deep in your hearts you all know that he could.

I've seen a few videos and interviews, and he immediately strikes you as a gentlemen, but also as someone that would stop and talk to anyone who would care to listen. In the videos he's so comfortable behind the wheel, like he was born with one in his hands. So like Clark, always at one with the car, so smooth.
Always in the images of himself, seemly smiling, at the same time so at ease.
Maybe we should find as many videos of him as we can, just to show what a great all around driver and person he was. Only wish I got to meet him. Any books written by him, that would make a good read ?
Will miss him a great deal, especially that smile.

Verry close to my City of Toronto Ontario Canada is a track he helped design called MOSPORT. A real old school track where you can sit on a hill with a picnic and watch the cars roll round at high speed. I would love to see it host F1 but it dose not not have the internal infrastructure required to hold a race. But the track is one of the best and way better than other's on the calendar. This was built in the pre chicane and slow the cars down era we have today.:ninja:

yesV2s.jpg
When I was a small boy I was taken to Albert Park in 1956 by my Father and saw Stirling Moss at the wheel of his factory Maserati 250F winning the Australian Grand Prix, a week later at the same event he went on to win the Tourist Trophy in a Maserati 300S.
A couple of years later (1958-1959?) we watched Moss nurse his slightly overheated Cooper Climax to another Albert Park victory.
The Tasman Cup series became very professional around the same time as Sandown Park opened in 1961(?) and the race was an epic battle between Brabham, McLaren and Surtees with Moss coming in behind Jimmy Clark after a heated exchange with Chuck Daigh in the Reventlow Scarab Buick.....one of the best motor races I've attended.
It was 1994 when I was at the Albert Park historics that I saw Sir Stirling and that Blue Walker Racing Cooper running demonstration laps around the old circuit, quick enough for a couple of 'Senior Citizens' and still with the straight arm back from the wheel style.
The last of the Legends.

Last edited:
R.i.p to The last of the gentlemans racers. There is no connection to the old motorsport left. He was the last one. Now all we have is memories and stories him and other fellow racers were telling throughout their life.

Never got to meet him, but for a brief fleeting moment about 11 years ago at Brands Hatch I was able to take this rubbish quality photo of a great man racing with poise, elegance, grace, control and speed... We've lost a great sportsman, a fantastic driver and a marvellous character. Race in peace, Stirling!
P250509_16.16[01].JPG

Sir Sterling was one of the all time greatest ambassadors for the sport of motor racing. I hope this year’s Goodwood Revival will be held this Fall so that the man and his machines may be fittingly honored.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 240 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%