Alright when was that again.....?

Pure marketing. This fake mix and naming videogames as "sport" is delusional on purpose to people feel like a part of something real and throw money in hardware, software and infinite DLC. Take rf2 for example and their stupid "WFG" festivals while the 16 years game bugs are still in place.
I agree. Its all marketing just like real racing. Trying to make people throw money at expensive real cars and real gaming hardware. Videos games are not called sport, they are called esport so people know the difference. Sport and esport are both forms of entertainment. For most of us, real racing involves sitting on the coach and watching. At least with esports, you need to use your head to create the most immersive setup possible. It may seem silly however I will enjoy watching the real races more because I will be comparing with the esport races to see how well they compare. It will also be fun to compare my times on the video games to the times the real racers set. It would be cool to make ghost laps available from the real drivers.

Last edited:
Good lord, these people are using professional simulators that cost millions of dollars to build. Do you really think this is comparable in any way to $40 video games?
The only thing that differentiates those simulators from a "$40 video game" is a high end cockpit and a motion system.
From a software point of view, the mathematical principles are pretty much the same.
Professional motorsport teams are worth millions of dollars, yet they still use rFactor Pro from which rF2 is derived.

Pure marketing. This fake mix and naming videogames as "sport" is delusional on purpose to people feel like a part of something real and throw money in hardware, software and infinite DLC. Take rf2 for example and their stupid "WFG" festivals while the 16 years game bugs are still in place.
Yes, rF2 is buggy as hell, but the driving experience is unparalleled.
Not everything is marketing crap.
If you treat simracing as just a video game, you're missing the whole point.
I don't see why this guy would lie.
"I found myself thinking like I would do in a real race car."

The only thing that differentiates those simulators from a "$40 video game" is a high end cockpit and a motion system.
From a software point of view, the mathematical principles are pretty much the same.
Professional motorsport teams are worth millions of dollars, yet they still use rFactor Pro from which rF2 is derived.
Did you even watch the video? They only use rFactor Pro for the graphics. The physics are done in-house. This is not comparable to rFactor 2.

it depends what they means by saying the physics are done in house. It could mean that particular vehicle physics parameters set is done in house, which is a lot more believable possibility than having each motorsport team developing their own underlying physics engines.

Did you even watch the video? They only use rFactor Pro for the graphics. The physics are done in-house. This is not comparable to rFactor 2.
Some people just don't get it.
They're surely not rewriting the physics engine of rFPro from scratch, they just made a mod with a little help of their drivers and some physics guru like Niels H.
The fact that they're using rFactor in any form speaks for itself.
If the underlying physics engine wasn't any good, they wouldn't be using it in the first place.
There isn't any "million dollar" difference between a professional sim and a commercial product like rF2.
They just use their custom made physics which in the end are being driven on rFPro core engine.
The guy in the video poorly expressed himself.
Whatever in house physics they have at their disposal, it is still running on rFactor physics engine.

Last edited:
Whooooahhh - I have never seen such negativity within a community on something that would appear to go a very long way to significantly validating that communities existence.

People in this thread have already said it better than I can, so I'm just adding my voice to the support of this.

Honestly, how thick do you need to be to fail to realise this is a more than great opportunity to legitimise our hobby of sim racing as an actual sport, not just an e-sport. It beggars belief, it really does.

My point is that given that drivers have generationally got faster, it makes the current drivers the fastest in the world, and therefore with Hamilton being the fastest of them, he is the fastest driver to have lived. I didn’t say that was because he has better and more modern training or because he races a different way, it simply means what it is - he is the fastest.
Montoya is the fastest:
"The fastest outright speed recorded in a Grand Prix race is 372.6 km/h (231.5 mph) by Juan Pablo Montoya (Colombia) in a McLaren-Mercedes at Monza in the Italian Grand Prix on 4 September 2005. Montoya started the race in pole position, and led from start to finish to win."

No doubt he can drive, but there can be no argument for who is the GOAT when there are so many variables in tracks, cars and technology across the lifetime of F1. Greatest in a particular period of time where the cars etc. are of the same era then maybe.
Mod Edit:
None of these arguments preclude the fact If he were any further up himself he would turn inside out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people just don't get it.
They're surely not rewriting the physics engine of rFPro from scratch, they just made a mod with a little help of their drivers and some physics guru like Niels H.
The fact that they're using rFactor in any form speaks for itself.
If the underlying physics engine wasn't any good, they wouldn't be using it in the first place.
There isn't any "million dollar" difference between a professional sim and a commercial product like rF2.
They just use their custom made physics which in the end are being driven on rFPro core engine.
The guy in the video poorly expressed himself.
Whatever in house physics they have at their disposal, it is still running on rFactor physics engine.
You're wrong. The guy didn't poorly express himself, he said exactly what he wanted to say. They aren't using the rFactor Pro physics engine.

BMW said the same thing to a German video game magazine, just translate it via Deepl or whatever:

Zuvor bekamen Medienvertreter im Rahmen einer Führung auch Einblicke in den Simulator, an dem die Werksfahrer wie Martin Tomczyk, Jesse Krohn oder Philipp Eng virtuell für ihre Renneinsätze trainieren, wobei sich Letzterer auch als großer Fan von iRacing geoutet hat. Interessanterweise hat man sich für die grafische Oberfläche zwar bei rFactor 2 bedient bzw. die Assets lizenziert, doch die Fahrphysik wurde von Grund auf intern bei BMW entwickelt. Für Rudolf Dittrich, Leiter Gesamtfahrzeug bei BMW Motorsport, liegt darin der Schlüssel zur Realisierung einer möglichst akkuraten Simulation, die zudem vom Feedback von Ingenieuren und professionellen Rennfahrern vor Ort profitiert. Ausprobieren konnten wir den Simulator zwar leider nicht selbst, aber Dittrich ging bei seiner Präsentation darauf ein, dass man virtuell so ziemlich alle erdenklichen Faktoren am Fahrzeug simulieren kann und mehreren Abteilungen den Zugriff über einen Datenpool gestattet. So profitieren z.B. auch Rennspiel-Entwickler von der Arbeit, die BMW in den Simulator gesteckt haben. Zwar behält man sensible Details weiter für sich, liefert den Spieleherstellern nach eigener Aussage aber genügend Anhaltspunkte, um das Fahrverhalten der BMW-Modelle in Videospielen und Simulationen möglichst authentisch abzubilden.

The Ground affect and grip are nice but the technology of the cars is getting to the point where the track's will out grow them. This is why the FIA try to slow the cars down, it works to a point but there are smart people who can think outside the box and legaly get any grip lost in ways that are ok. Then the idea usually gets banned as other teams don't like it or cant finance it themselves.

As for charms i saw a movie about a Australian touring car driver (Don't recall name) And he had a box with energy crystals in the car. Using polarization to balance it. And had success with it.

You're wrong. The guy didn't poorly express himself, he said exactly what he wanted to say. They aren't using the rFactor Pro physics engine.

BMW said the same thing to a German video game magazine, just translate it via Deepl or whatever:

Before that, media representatives were given a guided tour of the simulator, on which factory drivers such as Martin Tomczyk, Jesse Krohn or Philipp Eng train virtually for their races, the latter also coming out as a big fan of iRacing. Interestingly enough, rFactor 2 was used for the graphical user interface and the assets were licensed, but the driving physics was developed from scratch internally at BMW. For Rudolf Dittrich, Head of Overall Vehicle at BMW Motorsport, this is the key to realizing the most accurate simulation possible, which also benefits from feedback from engineers and professional racing drivers on site. Unfortunately, we weren't able to try out the simulator ourselves, but Dittrich said in his presentation that that you can virtually simulate almost all conceivable factors on the vehicle and allow several departments access via a data pool. For example, racing game developers also benefit from the work that BMW has put into the simulator. Sensitive details are kept to themselves, but according to their own statements, they provide game manufacturers with enough clues to map the driving behavior of BMW models in video games and simulations as authentically as possible.

You obviously don't understand the difference between a physics engine and a physics mod.
The article never states that rFactor physics engine is not being used.
" rFactor 2 was used for the graphical user interface and the assets were licensed, but the driving physics was developed from scratch internally at BMW"
This means exactly what I've said before:
" They made a BMW mod with a little help of their drivers and some physics guru like Niels H."
Have a nice day, man.

Send me a stutter free simracing recording and I'll see if I agree.

And yes, it's the best way to do it at the moment. Fraps is ancient and not practical.
It's the only way to have a truly smooth video though.

For audio: yep, microphones are definitely affordable and shouldn't be the root of bad quality anymore.
And I think it's not too hard to configure obs with vst plug-ins. Many good free plug-ins out there.
Noise gate, compressor, eq, de-esser and a limiter/maximizer would boost the quality to a different level.
Sadly most prefer to have a super quiet stream or clip the crap out of their mics...
Do you mean a stutter free recording, or stream?

Both actually...
I use OBS for both, got tonnes of stutter free footage, great program! As for the whole Sim racing Real racing crossover, I find this very exciting! I love the idea of live sim broadcasts with a manned virtual camera on each corner of the track, live stewards and such like. Very intersting times! The virtual 24hrs of Le Mans in RF2 earlier this year was amazing to me, really enjoyed that!

Last edited:
I use OBS for both, got tonnes of stutter free footage, great program! As for the whole Sim racing Real racing crossover, I find this very exciting! I love the idea of live sim broadcasts with a manned virtual camera on each corner of the track, live stewards and such like. Very intersting times! The virtual 24hrs of Le Mans in RF2 earlier this year was amazing to me, really enjoyed that!
Can you send me one of these stutter free videos? Pm me or whatever, I'd like to have a look.
I never got my recordings stutter free with shadow play, nvenc or software x264.
It's not too bad but when Fraps doesn't cause fps drops, it's a lot more fluent in comparison...

And I never saw a truly stutter free simracing video on YouTube, apart from my Fraps recordings.

Ofc you need to set the monitor hz to a multiplier of the video framerate (yes, I'm bothered by stuttering from not synced video fps too).

Can you send me one of these stutter free videos? Pm me or whatever, I'd like to have a look.
I never got my recordings stutter free with shadow play, nvenc or software x264.
It's not too bad but when Fraps doesn't cause fps drops, it's a lot more fluent in comparison...

And I never saw a truly stutter free simracing video on YouTube, apart from my Fraps recordings.

Ofc you need to set the monitor hz to a multiplier of the video framerate (yes, I'm bothered by stuttering from not synced video fps too).
Sure mate! I used to use fraps years ago, whilst it would produce a pretty smooth video, it did impact the fps when playing, and then on the video, everything would be running ever so slightly faster than it was in realtime, ever so slightly! But obs is great if you ever go for a really important online race and wanna keep footage of it, I love it!

I went to check on their website brasileirodemarcas.com.br - and it came up with the NXDOMAIN message indicating that the site has gone down. Furthermore, the Brazilian Automobile Confederation at cba.org.br doesn't list the championship's information on their main website anymore.

Sure mate! I used to use fraps years ago, whilst it would produce a pretty smooth video, it did impact the fps when playing, and then on the video, everything would be running ever so slightly faster than it was in realtime, ever so slightly! But obs is great if you ever go for a really important online race and wanna keep footage of it, I love it!
Absolutely! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that obs would be bad or wouldn't be the way to go.
It's the best in my opinion right now.

My argument was that even obs can't produce the same smoothness a real video footage has.
Simply because computer fps and recorded frames of a camera aren't the same.

But Fraps locks the fps and syncs the fps to the recorded frames.
But I'm not using it either! I rather have some very slight stutter here and there than having the massive performance impact from Fraps!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 353 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 248 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%