Alright when was that again.....?

Imagine you had a job where you were putting screws into metalwork using an electric screwdriver. Your screwdriver rotates at 700rpm, your workmate's screwdriver rotates at 1000rpm. You've never been allowed to use your workmate's screwdriver. You always put in fewer screws than your workmate despite the fact you work just as hard. Then imagine how you'd feel if your workmate was constantly being told how wonderful he is because he always puts in the most screws, whilst you constantly get told you're just not as good as him.

Screwdrivers???
OK, What happened to Rosbergs screwdriver for 3 out 4 years, what happened to Bottas screwdriver for 3 years, infact what happened to Alonso, Kovalainen, & Button (who in fairness did manage to get a few more screws in one time)
At what point do you stop blaming the screwdriver?

Well he is the driver with most championships won so he's definitely one of the greatest F1 drivers. But take Maradona: I don't think he is the one who has won most trophies as a football player. I think the same applies to F1: the greatest is the one who has done things that are borderline magic, things that make your heart skip a beat. So in that respect other names come to mind.

Borderline magic???
I would say a rookie coming in and beating a double world champion who is considered one of the best and just missing out on being world champion by a point in his first season slightly over that borderline!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BP
So the answer seems to be "no he can't be the best F1 driver because he hasn't won in other things completely unrelated to F1"?
I'm sure he's beaten his family at Scrabble, credit where it's due.

Next week : Is Ronnie O'Sullivan the greatest Snooker player of all time?
Answer : No because he's never won at darts!
what idiocy is this? People were at least talking about other MOTOR sports. You may think f1 is the pinnacle over all others, heads up it's not. Rally drivers best on 4 wheels and everyone on two wheels better still.

I've read that people don't like Hamiltons attitude but I would argue that Alonsos attitude within the sport has been extremely worse than Hamiltons but Alonso gets a pass.

All the negative and disgusting things said about Hamilton reminds me of Muhammad Ali in the 60's and 70's. People didn't go to his fights to see one of the greatest boxers that ever lived, people of America tuned in because they couldn't wait to see someone shut this guys mouth up. He was a loud black man who stood up for black rights and justice and people hated him for it, he was a social activist that people said he had no business doing and they were not interested in. They seriously wanted to see him get hurt. He got more recognition from the public when he was a frail old man than he did while fighting. Maybe Hamiltons recognition will come later in life.

Last edited:
And arguing that Hamilton drove only good cars is as pointless as arguing Messi or Cristiano only played in top clubs. That's just what the best do.

Well said....

Why isn't Messi's achievements downplayed or recognised until he helps Getafe win the league.

Forget what Ronaldos achieved, it means nothing until he helps Boavista win the champions league.

The stats these guys have accumulated are amazing but wait, stats don't give you recognition, right, lol

Well said....

Why isn't Messi's achievements downplayed or recognised until he helps Getafe win the league.

Forget what Ronaldos achieved, it means nothing until he helps Boavista win the champions league.

The stats these guys have accumulated are amazing but wait, stats don't give you recognition, right, lol
Firstly, do you follow football? I can see a lot of talk about pros and cons of Messi'/CR's "greatness".
Secondly, that is same for all athletes in all sports. More success person has, more talked down it gets. Especially if it is for long period of time.
Finally, first two are completely okay because stats are as we all know are like b..... ;) No need to be so hit, if someone doesn't consider your option as best driver ever in this case.

Guess what: my best footballer ever is not playing at the moment, my best F1 driver ever is not driving at the moment, my best tennis player ever is not playing at the moment. Does that mean that I don't consider Messi/Ronaldo/Hamilton one of the best that were in their sports? NO. Does that mean that I consider every next generation of athletes learns on "mistakes" of previous generation and it is expected to be better? YES. And because of that everything is relative. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Firstly, do you follow football? I can see a lot of talk about pros and cons of Messi'/CR's "greatness".
Secondly, that is same for all athletes in all sports. More success person has, more talked down it gets. Especially if it is for long period of time.
Finally, first two are completely okay because stats are as we all know are like b..... ;) No need to be so hit, if someone doesn't consider your option as best driver ever in this case.

Guess what: my best footballer ever is not playing at the moment, my best F1 driver ever is not driving at the moment, my best tennis player ever is not playing at the moment. Does that mean that I don't consider Messi/Ronaldo/Hamilton one of the best that were in their sports? NO. Does that mean that I consider every next generation of athletes learns on "mistakes" of previous generation and it is expected to be better? YES. And because of that everything is relative. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I don't care who your best footballer, F1 driver, etc is, I don't remember my post being directed at you.

All the negative and disgusting things said about Hamilton reminds me of Muhammad Ali in the 60's and 70's. People didn't go to his fights to see one of the greatest boxers that ever lived, people of America tuned in because they couldn't wait to see someone shut this guys mouth up. He was a loud black man who stood up for black rights and justice and people hated him for it, he was a social activist that people said he had no business doing and they were not interested in. They seriously wanted to see him get hurt. He got more recognition from the public when he was a frail old man than he did while fighting. Maybe Hamiltons recognition will come later in life.

Think we all know there is an undercurrent to some of the hate for Hamilton.

All the nonsense of 'he dresses weird', 'he talksfunny/his accent is fake' etc. are easy jibes to make and anyone with a bit of international fame and a lot of money will have these things said about them.
People take a dislike for sports people for bringing political and societal issues into their chosen field because more often than not, it is something they can't agree with due to inherant bias, feel uncomfortable it being brought up or think it refers to them themselves in some negative way.

I don't rate him much as an F1 Champion - i don't think he's ever had one memorable win that i can look back at and think 'wow'. Whereas someone like Schumacher has plenty - Spain 96, Spa 95 etc.
But i do think he is a decent human being and is using his celebrity for the right reasons - to highlight good causes (imho) and social issues - and not just to line his own pockets.

I hardly ever see "disgusting" things written about hamilton though...and I regularley peruse the cesspit that is farcebook.

I see more complete overreactions from his supporters than I see "disgusting" comments.

Unless of couse merely saying he's not the goat classes as "disgusting"

Think we all know there is an undercurrent to some of the hate for Hamilton.

All the nonsense of 'he dresses weird', 'he talksfunny/his accent is fake' etc. are easy jibes to make and anyone with a bit of international fame and a lot of money will have these things said about them.
People take a dislike for sports people for bringing political and societal issues into their chosen field because more often than not, it is something they can't agree with due to inherant bias, feel uncomfortable it being brought up or think it refers to them themselves in some negative way.

I don't rate him much as an F1 Champion - i don't think he's ever had one memorable win that i can look back at and think 'wow'. Whereas someone like Schumacher has plenty - Spain 96, Spa 95 etc.
But i do think he is a decent human being and is using his celebrity for the right reasons - to highlight good causes (imho) and social issues - and not just to line his own pockets.

Thing is on social media the ones who bring up race etc are 99.9% of the time other blacks or SJWs. No one else even mentions his sodding skin colour. I'm a firm believeer in "we're all the same"....yet the ones with the largest "them and us" attiude nowadays are not who you think.

Imagine you had a job where you were putting screws into metalwork using an electric screwdriver. Your screwdriver rotates at 700rpm, your workmate's screwdriver rotates at 1000rpm. You've never been allowed to use your workmate's screwdriver. You always put in fewer screws than your workmate despite the fact you work just as hard. Then imagine how you'd feel if your workmate was constantly being told how wonderful he is because he always puts in the most screws, whilst you constantly get told you're just not as good as him.

That's a great analogy other than two points:
1. Each season there is at least one other workmate with the exact same screwdriver
2. Driving an F1 car at an elite level takes a hell of lot more fitness and skill than operating an electric screwdriver

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 91 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 67 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 100 13.9%