SimXperience Motion Sim Series Q+A Thread

Not sure about the rest of you, but I am thinking that I would want the monitor/s to move along with the rig for this. For me, it would seem that looking at a stationary object while I am being tossed around would take away some of the feeling that is supposed to be induced by using the motion sim. Would love to hear from some of those who have a rig up and running to get their input on how it feels and if they have the entire rig including monitor moving or just the seat and pedals.

Upvote 0
Hi Jim,

You deffinately have a point there, but i think thats more applicable to motion sims that do actually throw you around.

For the smaller, lower staged sims, most of the movement is shake based so a static monitor wouldnt really be that much of an issue.

Upvote 0
@Jim,

Your initial reaction is the same as mine a few years ago when I decided to begin testing a variety of sim designs.

I've tested this a variety of ways. Kris is correct IMHO. If the entire cockpit is moving, you need alot of movement in order to get immersed. The disconnect actually goes a long way toward improving the immersion by creating slight muscle tension in your wrist and forearms. The same holds true for slight change in distance between the occupant and the monitor. It helps to create the illusion of acceleration / braking especially when combined with a proper FOV.

That being said, the beauty of a DIY racing simulator is that you can build yours however you see fit, and alter it as needed.

Upvote 0
I couldnt hit subscribe fast enough lol.

Firstly as someone who can work with computers quite well, i still have no idea where to start with motion! So a big thankyou for ANY information forthcoming. For me the information couldnt be too trivial, i need all i can get!

I have a question Berney, im wondering how much weight the SCN5 150 actuators can move realistically? While i love the seat actuator setup you have, ive already jumped into a real racecar chassis build, and would like to know if it would be possible to move something with substantial weight? Currently I need to make some stands for it to sit on, as its far to low to get into easily, so i wondered if putting a universal joint in the centre of gravity, and a couple of your actuators could work? Would it be possible to find stronger actuators to handle the weight??

The chassis is a wrecked Legendscar chassis (so no its not a full size latemodel that would weigh alot!) that i picked up from a fellow racer. It was ready for the scrap metal yard after a major wreck, Ive since cut the front and rear clips off, all the way to the firewall and just behind the driver. Ive also cut off extra strengthening members that arent crucial to holding on the body and looks. Ive tried to limit the weight as much as possible, and more will be done soon. Now question is, can i add a 2dof system..... hmmm

Upvote 0
I couldnt hit subscribe fast enough lol.

Firstly as someone who can work with computers quite well, i still have no idea where to start with motion! So a big thankyou for ANY information forthcoming. For me the information couldnt be too trivial, i need all i can get!

I have a question Berney, im wondering how much weight the SCN5 150 actuators can move realistically? While i love the seat actuator setup you have, ive already jumped into a real racecar chassis build, and would like to know if it would be possible to move something with substantial weight? Currently I need to make some stands for it to sit on, as its far to low to get into easily, so i wondered if putting a universal joint in the centre of gravity, and a couple of your actuators could work? Would it be possible to find stronger actuators to handle the weight??

The chassis is a wrecked Legendscar chassis (so no its not a full size latemodel that would weigh alot!) that i picked up from a fellow racer. It was ready for the scrap metal yard after a major wreck, Ive since cut the front and rear clips off, all the way to the firewall and just behind the driver. Ive also cut off extra strengthening members that arent crucial to holding on the body and looks. Ive tried to limit the weight as much as possible, and more will be done soon. Now question is, can i add a 2dof system..... hmmm

The SCN5 actuators will not move this kind of mass. We do have a Starter Kit with 40Kgf actuators. Unfortunately, at the moment, getting actuators that will move the mass you have there (without an elaborate load assist mechanism of some sort) with enough speed and most importantly enough detail, will cost quite a bit. I do not offer such actuators because they are beyond the price range of a typical DIY sim builder. In many cases, one actuator can cost more than our complete simulator. You may be able to dig up hydraulic or air assist actuators for a reasonable price somewhere, but you are likely to have to compromise motion detail with these types of solutions.

I have seen full vehicles retrofited with a motion seat, which may be interesting option of you can manage to fit it.

Upvote 0
Good to see you here Berney.

Hi eveyone, I can't write much on building your own from scratch although I did draw up plenty of plans. like everyone I googled the world seaching for knowledge and in doing that (about 3 years of it ) I became quite frustrated and unsure I would develop what I wanted. I crossed Berney's web site quite early in the process and visted every time I was surfing the net. The fact that Berney had developed a number of stages, from basic to extreme kept me thinking the sense of it all. Start with the basic and build around it or add to it from Berney's Bolt on options. I am a qualified tradesperson and comfortable with my computer skills and quite capable in building my own but it was the knowledge behind it all...in getting the angles right so to speak and problem solving the finer points that worried me if I was to come across any.If I was 10 years younger I probably would have tackled the challenge and I can appreciate those that have built there own sim and the joy they receive everytime they sit in it.

So I decided to start from Berney's basic option which I was going to build upon and then something came over me...what the heck...I decided to go all out and get the Stage IV series sim form Berney.

I know it sounds like I giving a plug for berney but then again Happy Customers do that, I have been driving sim's for about 20 years and my passion are the V8's and my favorite is Team Orsm. After watching many videos of motion sims and getting excited about the day I would have one to myself I never imagined the level of fun and immersion this sim delivers. I have built many things in my day from manuals
and diagrams, complex as it looks the Stage 1V manual helped me bolt it together as easy as a bookshelf from Ikea.

I know this thread is mostly about DIY sims, I just felt that I needed to share my joy hoping it will pass on to passioate sim racers that are considering building one.....all I can say to you is the technology is now available and it will get better ,coupled with Knowledgable people like Berney by your side it becomes even easier ....try not to keep your project on hold to long.

And Ledfoot, I followed your project for a while and you don't know this mate, but because of your original setup it motivated me that much...I just had to have one....so I contacted Berney and ordered one. Thanks berney and Thanks Ledfoot (mike) and Thanks to Team Orsm.

Im not the best at doing videos for youtube but its a start....
and turn up the volume while your there.

Bathurst
Adelaide
Hidden Valley
Fun Video
Fun Video

Upvote 0
Great vids Vito! That takes alot of effort.

@Kris - It's tough to make a video that gives a proper comparison because the vids are typically shot from the rear, very near to the actuators. To put it simply, if you have your speakers turned up to a realistic volume level, you really won't hear the actuators. If you're unable to turn the volume up that high you will hear them making somewhat of a chirping noise.

Here are the readings from the actuators:

dBA / dBC / Model
--------------------
55 / 54 / SCN6
57 / 56 / SCN5

* Taken at full actuator speed within 1m of the actuator

I do not have dB readings from a variety of actual vehicles for comparison but I believe it is safe to say that a race-prepped vehicle will easily drown this out.

Upvote 0
I actually had to take db readings from inside brand new cars in 76, and the average with all windows up was about 55db. That is all the road noise making it inside the passenger area. If we can put up with that, I am pretty sure we can put up with the little noise that is going to come from the actuators. I think the GPU fans put out more than that when running the sims :)

Upvote 0
Perhaps I can give you a practical description re: Actuator noise level. If the room next door to your setup was a bedroom and the kids were sleeping and both doors shut in your hallway it would sound like as Berney stated a couple of Robins chirping away, but this chirping is by no way offensive and in accordance with the above senario...quite faint at that. If you open those doors that chirping sound does not travel very far either and mostly absorbed within your room.

In my room I occasionally turn all volume down and do a few laps just to hear them working away to regognise any unusal behaviour or noises. Having done that I find myself turning down the bass shakers, they seem to make a little more noise shaking and vibrating away at the chassy and seat.

If its concerning you as a distraction to your driving...don't be...your concertration staying on track and driveline would'nt even register the actuator noise. If its concerning you for the comfort of others around you....don't be....You have driven sims plenty of time without actuators and they need not be on if one wishes.

I do most of my practice and play laps without them on, I feel I don't really want the actuators to tell me that my driving is poor.
So I learn the track as best as I can, get my setups tweaked so as to miss those concreate walls and such...and then when the senario is right-switch them on and turn up the volume. After all Sound ,Vibration and Motion is what I wanted from a simulator. The driving is so much more immersive and rewarding.

Upvote 0
Can I ask if you have considered selling your kits via a european supplier. The shipping, and potential custom costs are quite prohibitive over here. I would assume that you could arrange for the plans for your bases to be made up over here, rather than shipping over the pre-made kits, with the resultant high shipping costs.

Upvote 0
My only question is: With the SimX setups, the seat moves, but the steering wheel and pedals, or screen, do not - does that not feel a bit weird?

Apart from that the kits look super tempting, but I can't imagine how it would feel. How strong is the system? Would it be possible to change the seat base into a base for the screen and pedals, and wheel, so the whole lot moves? or would that stress the system too much and shorten the life?

Upvote 0
Can I ask if you have considered selling your kits via a european supplier. The shipping, and potential custom costs are quite prohibitive over here. I would assume that you could arrange for the plans for your bases to be made up over here, rather than shipping over the pre-made kits, with the resultant high shipping costs.

Yes, we have given a great deal of consideration to this and it remains an very active item on my task list. If you are aware of any firms that offer such services I would be happt to consider them along with our current candidates.

Upvote 0
My only question is: With the SimX setups, the seat moves, but the steering wheel and pedals, or screen, do not - does that not feel a bit weird?

Apart from that the kits look super tempting, but I can't imagine how it would feel. How strong is the system? Would it be possible to change the seat base into a base for the screen and pedals, and wheel, so the whole lot moves? or would that stress the system too much and shorten the life?

Surprisingly not, it's actually one of the primary advantages. I wish we had a test drive center in Europe so folks coulds drive the difference for themselves.

We also offer a slightly more costly Starter Kit (SX-4000 SCN6 Starter Kit) for those who feel the need to build a simulator that move the wheel and pedals as well.

Upvote 0
Yes, It was down for an hour or so :)

I had one cluster node down and the other being upgraded. Soon I'll add another node at a different facility to prevent this. For now, I only have to perform maintenance every few months for an hour or so.

Thanks for the offer! You have a PM btw.

Upvote 0
Hey guys - I too am a new Simxperience owner...but I havent been able to set it up and try it since all my parts arent here yet. I...am...DYING. I have all these different components in my entertainment bunker (I like that better than man cave)...buttkickers, speakers, 3 42" monitors, etc...that Ive been looking at for a few weeks now and its killing me. Soon enough...patience.

Initially when I decided I had to get motion going, I was just going to get the base. Then I started to do some more research and like Ledfoot, I just decided to go for it and get the whole kit and kaboodle. Mike was actually my tipping point re: getting the rear traction loss; I had reached out to him via youtube, and he had nothing but praise for the SE system, but said that the RTR was the kicker as far as realism and immersion goes.

One thing if you decide to do this...be patient with the build/ordering process. Im completely obsessive, so I wanted to have everything here and ready to go when the base came in. Consequently, Ive purchased and have had to return lots of different items from cables to seats (thank you Amazon prime), which has been a pain. Im not saying to not plan as much as possible, all Im saying is to take your time and enjoy the build process instead of feeling like it has to be done the day it arrives. Plus, it will save you the pain of seeing all kinds of cool gear that you cant use; Ive walked into my room and just stared at all my stuff imagining the sim over a 1000 times...its killing me.

Shout out to Berney, Mike (ledfoot) and Darin Ganji for taking the time to answer questions Ive had. Im new to the community and everyone has been really cool so far...I appreciate it.

eric

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back