SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Have been watchig the teasers dropped by Hybrid Racing Simulations and keeping an eye on it, was looking to upgrade from my IONI 1x build to a simucube board, until I saw this and thought I should wait a bit longer. :D

Upvote 0
So it looks closed without an upgrade path, requires batteries for the wireless connection and there is no mention of ability to support Fanatec rims. Otherwise it looks pretty clean. Realistically 5 years battery life isn't going to be an issue for anyone.

It does mention having quite a bit of processing power, so the next question is what they are planning to do with that power.

I guess now we will need to see how it works.

Upvote 0
If I were to consider changing systems now, I'd have to see what the primary DD-wheel makers (SimXperience / Fanatec / SimuCube) have to offer by way of tuning options. Provided that the motors (warranty, reliability, performance, etc.) were on relatively equal footing, it's the versatility of software that makes the difference for me. Of course, SimXperience is at a disadvantage in terms of the motor but, it has the edge in terms of software (imo).

Fanatec has hinted that they are expanding their wheel-software but, we don't have the details on that yet and, we know even less about what Granite Devices (SimuCube) has planned for SimuCube2 (although, there is talk of enhanced iRacing support). As someone who plays a variety of Sim-racing titles, I want all the versatility I can get via the software so I'm watching new developments with a keen interest related to tuning options.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I have mixed feelings about this.
This is not OSW and not Simucube we know.
And it's double the price of Simucube today.
What do I get for that money besides cleaner look, is software the same?

Upvote 0

Yes the software will be different and will take the primary focus of development with features trickling down to the Simucube1.

"MikaGranite Devices team
3d
One might guess that some new developments have taken a priority. However, on the firmware side, the benefit is added smoothness of effects, and well tested Simucube Wireless Wheel support, plus a few bug fixes.

I’m testing the latest build myself at home with Simucube firmware, but not quite there yet - we need one added API feature implemented to IONI before we can release."

I think the package is very tidy and well done. If I was in the market today, I'd certainly wait on reviews and see if V2 is worth the money over V1. Is it worth selling my current OSW for this? Don't see that.

Upvote 0
Hardware-wise, I don't think it's much different aside from the BT button-box support option, and cleaner package with some possible reduced latency (significant?) but, GD are saying that SimuCube2 will get some features via Firmware that won't work with version-1 systems; what those are, we don't yet know.

Going forward, I think there may be some pressure mounting for SimXperience to update their FFB-system offerings. Of course, SimXperience may just let them (SimuCube and Fanatec) have it and instead, focus on their motion and tactile business. Or, they may be watching to see what is soon revealed and adapt their upgrade strategy based on the results. There are subtle hints that SimX may be working on something FFB-related but, it may just be experimental research.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Support of multiple platforms? I saw exact the same promise, even the wording "trickling down" was the same when they announced Simucube and left Argon and IONI owners out in the cold.
There is one developer, Mika, who still struggles to get current Simucube FW/SW out of infinite beta. Let's get real.

Sorry guys, if Fanatec DD holds together that would be obvious choice for everyone due to better ecosystem and recognized brand, therefore most likely support of DD wheels in games like Forza, etc.
As apparently things like OSW, Simucube just don't exist to them. Even DR2 does not support it out of the box.
Also it was reported that Fanatec DD can work in CSW compatible mode, that is if game support that wheel, it will support DD as well.

DOA product, mark my words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Support of multiple platforms? I saw exact the same promise, even the wording "trickling down" was the same when they announce Simucube and left Argon and IONI owners out in the cold.
There is one developer, Mika, who still struggles to get current Simucube FW/SW out of infinite beta. Let's get real.

Sorry guys, if Fanatec DD holds together that would be obvious choice for everyone due to better ecosystem and recognized brand, therefore most likely support of DD wheels in games like Forza, etc.
As apparently things like OSW, Simucube just don't exist to them. Even DR2 does not support it out of the box.
Also it was reported that Fanatec DD can work in CSW compatible mode, that is if game support that wheel, it will support DD as well.

As much as like my SimuCube, I suspect you are right in thinking that Fanatec is poised to make a splash in the DD-market going forward. If the software has the features I want (reliability too), I'll be seriously considering going with Fanatec in the future.

Upvote 0
Support of multiple platforms? I saw exact the same promise, even the wording "trickling down" was the same when they announced Simucube and left Argon and IONI owners out in the cold.

Although, there is a good market with iRacing where more people have plenty of money to spend. That should create a buyer's market for used 1st gen systems but, not so good for us that may be looking to upgrade.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Although, there is a good market with iRacing where more people have plenty of money to spend. That should create a buyer's market for used 1st gen systems but, not so good for us that may be looking to upgrade.
1st gen?
Granite Devices controller based DD wheels revisions:
- Argon
- IONI Cube
- Simucube
- Simucube 2

There is no support or upgrade path for owners of previous gen. Even simple thing like reconstruction filter did not make it into Argon or IONI Cube. You want new features, buy new HW.
I bet they completely scrapped Simucube 1 and all new development will focus on version 2.

Upvote 0
1st gen?
Granite Devices controller based DD wheels revisions:
- Argon
- IONI Cube
- Simucube
- Simucube 2

There is no support or upgrade path for owners of previous gen. Even simple thing like reconstruction filter did not make it into Argon or IONI Cube. You want new features, buy new HW.
I bet they completely scrapped Simucube 1 and all new development will focus on version 2.
GD say some of the features of SimuCube2 FW may trickle down to version-1 FW but, I don't hold out much hope of seeing anything very significant. Sadly, one of the big selling points for SimuCube was having the ability to advance the Firmware features going forward but, it wasn't very long before they ran into limitations (Apparently) that warranted a re-design.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing