'SimShaker - Wheels' support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

=Andre=

Andre
Here you can get help with "SimShaker - Wheels" issues and questions.

SimShaker - Wheels is a mediation software between a supported car simulation game and Gametrix JetSeat or well known Buttckicker hardware to provide immersing event driven vibration FXs (special effects).
Currently supported PC titles: iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, rFactor 2, DiRT Rally, Project CARS, Project CARS2, ETS2, ATS, F1 2016/2017 and RRRE.
Currently supported console titles: F1 2016.

Last edited:
I would be interested to see details regarding the crash with 6 Channel Mode.
We have very little experience with that yet.

Haven't went back to using 6chn mode yet as currently only have my seat-based tactile connected.

Think I will stick with running SSW via USB soundcard. 2chn mode is working fine though and I think using a USB based card may suit users best that also operate Simvibe as it should cause no issues in swapping soundcard settings/roles etc.

Took a bit of a break but have come up with some of my own wav files that are working excellent. Seems to improve over the default tones and brings more variation between the felt sensation for various effects. It would be fun to chat with others to see what they come up with or to compare.

Unfortunately, the lack of discussion from others in this thread and trying the software is a rather disappointing.

Is their an easy way to share/export our own custom wav files within user profiles and not just settings?

Look forward to your continued efforts

Upvote 0
You can zip your customized files and attach it here, as a first step. As for me, seems to be pretty easy.

@Paul Jeffrey
Silly question but just an idea is it possible to have SSW user profiles zipped/uploaded and placed in the "Mods Section" or somewhere suitable rather than dotted around a thread?

@=Andre=
Your call on what to do and how you do it but maybe need to do more to promote this SimShakerSoftware, it's too good for the lack of interest/discussion it is getting. Is thier possible confusion that it can work with tactile/Buttkickers without the Jetseat hardware? Also I think some may be confused with how to use Audacity for generating tones in how this works differently to other available options

I would like to do more to help or have some joint testing and get feedback with others using different tactile first prior to finalising a profile for uploading. The problem is finding others interested or already doing the same. @asteroulis @DesKane @HoiHman @Insert Coin

So this is an open invitation to above or any others reading for shared or private discussion if interested in this or chatting about wav file creation for individual effects.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Paul Jeffrey
Silly question but just an idea is it possible to have SSW user profiles zipped/uploaded and placed in the "Mods Section" or somewhere suitable rather than dotted around a thread?

Hello mate, thanks for the tag :)

I'm yet to read this full thread so I'm shooting at this blind to a degree, but I'll defer a response to @Bram as I'm not too sure how this would work with regards to uploading space. Must say it's a good idea, as some form of Buttkicker / vibration is becoming more and more of the norm in sim racing and it does deserve some focus I think.

I'll leave it with Bram to interject with what / if we can do anything.

Cheers

Upvote 0
I also do agree that SSW has potential, and indeed most people must be confused thinking it's bound to Jetseat.
In my brief test I was a bit disappointed by the stock effects with an aura pro at my office chair and a gamepad. But I am sure that Mr. Latte knows better so I am going to invest the time needed when it's turn comes.

@=Andre= , you have a gem here.
@Mr Latte I think that you can upload a link here with your files to start with, and if it gets a rd section in the future it will be nice.

Upvote 0
Will tweek my current efforts in the next couple of days and try to upload them here.
At current its only 2 channels.

Part of the issue I believe is that people will need to find their own volume levels with different soundcards and tactile/rigs etc. I have seen a rather large difference and know that highest end audio cards (Like Asus Essence) have even greater/stronger output over the common/popular choices. Not a big issue as the user can increase the gain or amplifier volume to compensate the lowest-highest soundcard outputs but highlighting this as a factor.

I have used from 20Hz - 50Hz for most effects as these should work well on most units.
Some effects, do not seem to suit having multiple tones combined into a single wav file. I spent quite a bit of time trying this with various approaches using Audacity.

I did however find a working solution for "wheel slip" that used multiple tones into a wav file. Ranging from 30Hz - 120Hz. This gives this effect a unique feel to the others. I also found that having some effects too strong can ruin the immersion. What is key is perhaps blending the operation of different effects with slight variation (part user preference) in the strength of their output.

An ideal, or desired volume may also be related to what Hz are being used for the particular effect and the amount of bandwidth it has to others as to what may be suitable volume working for each effect in matching different effects together yet maintain good detailing.

Basically, I am not certain good feeling settings with the Hz I have used will transpire over to other users preferences and cockpits. The Hz used may be fine but users may need to find their own balance for each effects strength/volume.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Made good progress today with "Wheel Slip" effect, experimented quite a lot with this now.
Have already generated and tested over 100 of my own custom wav files for the various effects.

@asteroulis would be good to get your views with the various tactile you have and your opinion so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@=Andre=

Here is a set of custom wav files for transducers, 2 Channel (Folder 2).
I used "OneDrive" as mentioned in the Jetseat thread. Feel free to add this to your new "Profile Download Page"

Mr Latte Test 01 (2CHN)
This is still beta testing on my part but I have experimented with a good variation of frequencies and some unique combinations for gear and wheel slip. Others are welcome to give feedback good/bad on how they may feel with their tactile.

Adjust settings to your preference.

LINK

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Today I tested @Mr Latte 's samples (much better , not perfect :) ) and changed my mind about SSW. Bought it instantly.

I'm gomma be fast in bullet points because I wrote it and had to restart pc so everything lost and can't write it again.

- I was testing in PCARS , with two AURAS first L/R in my back in an office chair , and then on my feet.
- Positional awareness : Great. Clear difference between L/R channels. But not for Front/Rear unfortunately. So not really sure how it would help to go for 6ch.
1.Gear Shift Effect
2.Tire Lock Effect
3.Engine Beat Effect
4.Bump (Left Side),
5.Bump (Right Side),
6.Bump
7.reserved for future use
8.Wheel Slip Effect (Left Side)
9.Wheel Slip Effect (Right Side)
10.Damage
11.Back motors
12.AccZ Front motors (Butt cheeks and thighs)
13.reserved for AccY
14.AccX Left side motors
15.AccX Right side motors

- Really simple interface. Good for most people. Also if a windowed note would explain what is what for dummies would be a good idea.
- Having better tones made all the difference. I can see what I'm feeling , even though it doesn't feel always right , and that has to do with the correct samples and how each shaker has the ability to reproduce the samples etc.
- I think that for SSW you have to have same tactile units in all places and it's made for stereo, unless you make hardware seperation of tones for ideal reproduction like @Mr Latte does , which is extreme for most people. But many people have various units in various positions. So if you cannot individually control each channel from SSW how do you try to regulate the sometimes big differences between units?
- I LOVED curbs. I mean , I never felt curbs like that.Thanks Mr Latte
-What's with the engine beat? I mean who would need this and what kind of telemetry output does it even read? RPM all the way Andre , but I don't know how you can implement it with wav files...
- 30$ is fine for stereo.

Can't seem to be able to install it. I have even uninstalled the 2.6 and run the installer again but again I got 2.6...

* Make SSA also full effect testing available. It's a good idea what you did with SSW.

Bit confusing post , I know. But I think you'll get the point.

Upvote 0
- I was testing in PCARS , with two AURAS first L/R in my back in an office chair , and then on my feet.
- Positional awareness : Great. Clear difference between L/R channels. But not for Front/Rear unfortunately. So not really sure how it would help to go for 6ch.
6 ch option should be used if one have more than 2 bass-shakers.
My default samples made having in mind 4 BK GR2. Including Front/Rear separation, as well as Lett/Right.

Upvote 0
Can't seem to be able to install it. I have even uninstalled the 2.6 and run the installer again but again I got 2.6...
Beta SimShaker - Wheels is a separate piece of software. You can find the download link posted and pinned in beta testers FB group and at the end of User Guide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry for all these but great to see you finally get to try this properly.

Today I tested @Mr Latte 's samples (much better , not perfect :) ) and changed my mind about SSW. Bought it instantly.

More people testing and giving feedback is always a good thing, nice to see this thread get some action from yourself, keep it up....

I need to get into trying other titles than AC, (my bad) so welcome if you compare P Cars to AC in future regards how SSW feels/operates for the various effects. Or if one specific title seems to work best with this so far?

- Having better tones made all the difference. I can see what I'm feeling, even though it doesn't feel always right , and that has to do with the correct samples and how each shaker has the ability to reproduce the samples etc.

The beauty with this software is that using Audacity it is easy to generate specific tones and to activate them in any of the output channels for when each "effect is called" from the physics. I hope to get more feedback in future from others to help in what/how they want the feeling of the effect to change? There are certain limitations but still room for improvement. My early excitment is fuelled by the early potential I seen from it.

I think that for SSW you have to have same tactile units in all places and it's made for stereo, unless you make hardware seperation of tones for ideal reproduction like @Mr Latte does , which is extreme for most people. But many people have various units in various positions. So if you cannot individually control each channel from SSW how do you try to regulate the sometimes big differences between units?

Think what your saying is easily approached in that profiles, can be created to use frequencies that are tested with specific hardware and on various rigs owned by people. I have tried to be careful in what I used with this 1st attempt. So, by all means, eloborate on some things that didn't feel so good.

I have tried different approaches (over 150 files created tested), but lots to still learn as some attempts were giving a "machine gun bullet" sensation in how the ".wav" files are repeated for certain effects. @=Andre= however, seems much more open to promoting community profiles or to discover possibilities. So I welcome that but I just wish more people were giving SSW a try and being positively active with it.

- I LOVED curbs. I mean , I never felt curbs like that.Thanks Mr Latte
-What's with the engine beat? I mean who would need this and what kind of telemetry output does it even read? RPM all the way Andre , but I don't know how you can implement it with wav files...
- 30$ is fine for stereo.

In my profile curbs are using a center value of 45Hz, therefore, they should feel quite good on most people's hardware. Curious how other titles fair with these for you?

Funny you mention engine beat, it is effect 3 and I never added a "custom 3" in my profile. So it uses the default standard effect SSW has if on. For some it may be okay but yes if using alternative engine tactile from audio or other software it's possible they will offer more sensation.

Personally found "engine beat" limited in what can be achieved from it, being a repeated single tone in its current form. If anything it's similar to "engine load" in Simvibe. In my personal view the only way to get detailed engines is from multiple tones, and placing specific Hz to operate under specific conditions (RPM or Speed). A good question perhaps is if @=Andre= can implement more in the software to help with activating an effect for user set RPM and/or SPEED values?

If not we may have to look at available options for more sophisticated engines.

Hey, can I ask how the wheel slip felt for you, okay or a bit odd?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally found "engine beat" limited in what can be achieved from it, being a repeated single tone in its current form. If anything it's similar to "engine load" in Simvibe. In my personal view the only way to get detailed engines is from multiple tones, and placing specific Hz to operate under specific conditions (RPM or Speed). A good question perhaps is if @=Andre= can implement more in the software to help with activating an effect for user set RPM and/or SPEED values?
If not we may have to look at available options for more sophisticated engines.
Hi Mr Latte,
I wonder how Speed in your opinion should affect the Engine Beat FX?

Upvote 0
Hi Mr Latte,
I wonder how Speed in your opinion should affect the Engine Beat FX?

Let me try to share some thoughts....

I don't know what limitations you have to work within as your not using tone generation and that's what I spent quite a deal of time with in Simvibe, linking "Revs Per Minute" with "Cycles Per Second" but understanding early on that a single base layer could never achieve what is required. Additional layers have to also represent strong felt energy (low Hz) at specific RPM or indeed KPH/MPH too.

Your effect seems to try and represent engine idle but as the speed increases, you increase the tempo while the frequency used is the same? I assume this is linking "Revs Per Minute" - "Beats Per Second"? The issue I see is not mainly what this does as it could be used as a base layer but I feel the issue its the only thing happening isn't just enough.

(Effect 11) is quite good with low-speed acceleration load, something like this that can be implemented at a mid range speed may help give more gusto.

Stating the obvious here that, "RPM" operates/effects each gear "Speed" does not so each can compliment one another. Therefore with Simvibe I used "Speed" to implement additional engine load for a Porsche 911 RS starting at 125 MPH/200KPH. This meant it was quite active at approx 3rd gear onwards (specific to profile/car type). Again this used tone generation not a single looped tone so I don't know if a looped tone with increased gain as the speed increases would be as effective?

What may be interesting to try is experimenting with having ability and control for more than one "looped tone". Setting each own "start/speed" to become active and control their increased gain. Probably best with using matched frequencies Eg 30Hz & 60Hz and these not within a single wav but as individual loops.

I had issues trying to create this approach within a single wav file / loop using multiple tones but it represented a sensation like (machine gun effect). Do not know if my suggestion is any use or not sure if any of this is much help.

You could make it easier for people to use AUX in from "audio tactile" going into the soundcard used for SSW. This may be an option to consider incorporating into SSW panel for AUX input and its gain control.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone having issues getting this to work on 6 channel mode.
My 2 Channel works fine but crashes on 6 channel (tested with Soundblaster via onboard audio & Asus DGX)

Not sure if it's an issue with other ASIO hardware I use.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 221 10.4%
  • < 4 years