Simracing With A Gamepad

I find pretty much every game works well with a gamepad. The only game I had a lot of trouble in tweaking gamepads to work is pretty rFactor 2 till now. rFactor 2 do have some interesting content, sadly I never able to play it on a gamepad.

You are right about more sympathy to gamepad users. Some simracers feel like gods with a wheel in a niche genre where the majority of the world do not care about. If you can't accept different input devices, then as a community we cannot grow. I respect wheel users, pad users and keyboard users; they all have their own type of racing and they may keep it.

I didn`t read all the posts above, BUT for me it`s just simple:
I can`t imagine play AC, R3E, AM or rF with an pad. Even PC or Dirt Rallly. It HAS to be a wheel.

On the other side i play and very much enjoy FORZA 7 and even HORIZON 3 with a pad. And with pad only!
I can`t imagine play those soft-sim (arcade) racing games with a wheel.

It may be confuse to someone, but thats the way i love it....

I can`t imagine play AC, R3E, AM or rF with an pad. Even PC or Dirt Rallly. It HAS to be a wheel.

On the other side i play and very much enjoy FORZA 7 and even HORIZON 3 with a pad. And with pad only!

I find a wheel greatly preferable even for sim-cade titles such as Horizon 3, but there's a bit of a re-acclimation period when coming from something like AC.

For me, the difference is that when I'm using a wheel, I'm in cockpit view and I feel like I'm actually driving the car. When I'm using a controller, I'm in chase-cam view, and I feel like I'm just playing a driving game.

As far as respecting each other goes, I think that goes without saying. We're already a niche gaming community, it serves no one to divide ourselves between the wheel users and the controller users, or the Thrustmaster users and the Logitech users, or the direct drive users and the others. We're stronger together than apart.

I have a wheel but I can not set it up and race easily, due to housing (small apartment) and family (small children) situation. As such, I moved back to keyboard; and I'd wish racing sims would hold that more into account. Right now, I'd say Codemasters and WMD are the only ones that provide a reasonable game for a keyboard user. I'm approx. 10-15% slower on a keyboard compared to a wheel (less feel in cornering), but with a wheel I wouldn't be able to finish a single lap, because my children would interrupt me or I take up significant part of the apartment. Maybe closer to 2040 again :p ...

I have a steering wheel myself-- Logitech G920. My room is too small for it to fit with my current computer set up, so it has to go downstairs with the Xbox One where I can only (and sadly) play Forza Motorsport. I have no choice but to play other simracers with a gamepad on my computer.

I want to play rFactor and AC with a steering wheel; I wish I could! But I just have no space in my room for that to happen, and it ****ing disappoints me..

Racing sims are for the most part unplayable with a gamepad.

The few who can, are usually complete wizards who have been doing it for years upon years upon years. They are the exception, not the norm, and should never be used as examples.

Unfortunately, sim racing as a genre exists because devs mislead gamepad users on the two biggest platforms, Xbox One and PS4.

Oh sure, you can technically play Assetto Corsa, Project CARS 2, and DiRT Rally with a pad. The game boots up; the car moves forward when you press RT, steers with the left stick, and stops with LT.

But you'll probably have to turn the difficulty down, and if a racing game has a progression mechanic where the difficulty gradually increases, you'll hit the metaphorical wall sooner rather than later. Long races, which are sometimes the draw of the game, will cramp your hands. You'll need to enable a bunch of driving assists, which will take away some of the cool characteristics of iconic cars - a Group B car with ABS, TC, and skid recovery isn't really a Group B car. Garage menu tweaks will be harder to refine if you can't always get the most out of the car, and you'll probably just stick with the default setup - phasing out a large part of the game. The cherry on top? Probably driving in chase view as well. So now you might as well have bought Driveclub.

Just to technically play the game with a pad, the average user is forced to compromise 80% of the experience just to get around the track and not be frustrated.

And devs smile and say "plays great with a pad" and put it on the PSN/XBL Marketplace for $60. And the masses eat it up because the trailer looks cool, play it for a few days, then never touch it again. Some go to the forums or Steam and complain with a thumbs down review.

I am not presenting a hypothetical/exaggerated scenario; this is exactly what happens when mainstream reviewers play racing sims, and what happens when your normie friends try out a racing game on the PS4/Xbox One.

The next round of racing sims should have a "plays best with" sticker on the box, featuring a picture of some Logitech or Thrustmaster wheel.

But they won't, because those sales to unsuspecting pad users are necessary. 3,200 AC players in last 24 hours. 645 for DiRT Rally, 1,536 for pCars 2. The hardcore, wheel-owning userbase cannot sustain these games.

Same here! Happy to see that I'm not crazy:roflmao:

Still you are only playing a game mate FFB or not. And you are not better than anyone who doesn't have a wheel. I would put money on it that there are many sim racers that can beat you just using a keyboard or a controller.;)
Yes, I met 2 or 3 guy...If you call as many..Ok, for everyone "many" it means something different :)
@Austin Ogonoski - they eat You for this what You write. Sad but true, i see here many gamepad fans what force me to toughts... I'am in right place right now? or it's a matrix or something...Site where main theme is - simracing with hundreds of gamepad players... Or I have a schizophrenia, beacouse i feel right now like this one man on kart track with his old helmet and gloves, look on side whre is 10 or more young guys with all top, new and polished stuff....than we drive and this old is 2 sec. in front of rest...on every lap... This is not an example from the game, but from life and only methaporical if some know what I mean and wanna to say. but...almost nobody listening and on the end almost everytime - I have right, and You too @Austin Ogonoski

Last edited:

The few who can, are usually complete wizards who have been doing it for years upon years upon years. They are the exception, not the norm, and should never be used as examples.

Unfortunately, sim racing as a genre exists because devs mislead gamepad users on the two biggest platforms, Xbox One and PS4.

Oh sure, you can technically play Assetto Corsa, Project CARS 2, and DiRT Rally with a pad. The game boots up; the car moves forward when you press RT, steers with the left stick, and stops with LT.

But you'll probably have to turn the difficulty down, and if a racing game has a progression mechanic where the difficulty gradually increases, you'll hit the metaphorical wall sooner rather than later. Long races, which are sometimes the draw of the game, will cramp your hands. You'll need to enable a bunch of driving assists, which will take away some of the cool characteristics of iconic cars - a Group B car with ABS, TC, and skid recovery isn't really a Group B car. Garage menu tweaks will be harder to refine if you can't always get the most out of the car, and you'll probably just stick with the default setup - phasing out a large part of the game. The cherry on top? Probably driving in chase view as well. So now you might as well have bought Driveclub.

Just to technically play the game with a pad, the average user is forced to compromise 80% of the experience just to get around the track and not be frustrated.

And devs smile and say "plays great with a pad" and put it on the PSN/XBL Marketplace for $60. And the masses eat it up because the trailer looks cool, play it for a few days, then never touch it again. Some go to the forums or Steam and complain with a thumbs down review.

I am not presenting a hypothetical/exaggerated scenario; this is exactly what happens when mainstream reviewers play racing sims, and what happens when your normie friends try out a racing game on the PS4/Xbox One.

The next round of racing sims should have a "plays best with" sticker on the box, featuring a picture of some Logitech or Thrustmaster wheel.

But they won't, because those sales to unsuspecting pad users are necessary. 3,200 AC players in last 24 hours. 645 for DiRT Rally, 1,536 for pCars 2. The hardcore, wheel-owning userbase cannot sustain these games.

Going point by point:

No, it isn't true that you got to be a wizard to play a sim with a gamepad. Sure, there exist simracing aliens with pads, yes. Those who are capable of beating wheel users by a lap or two. But to play decently, you just need practice, not magic :D if you read much of the replies in the topic you would see that many people have said that they play with a gamepad and manage just fine. A couple lads even said that they prefer the pad to their wheels because its more immediate to setup. If the sim they are playing was to be so awful on a controller, they would stick to their wheel no matter what. If the pad is properly supported by a title, like it happens for most sims, then there exist no problem in having a fair decent experience also with a gamepad.

Secondly, no, progression is not an issue. Is not that the game progresses and you don't. You progress with the game. You get used to its physics, to the mechanics, to the cars by starting from the least powerful and gradually going upwards. You learn the tracks, you get to understand how the AI behaves. Also, you adapt to the gamepad support and tweak it along the road. The problem is, again, that the sim must have a decent gamepad support, so that it allows you to have a fair control over all range of cars. And there's no shame, if you really can't, to activate an aid or two. Yes, the car will be tamed somewhat for you. But the point is getting to play your sim, which is your passion. To be able to do that. If someone plays a racing sim, it is because they want to. They like to. Otherwise they'd stick to another genre. If they don't have a wheel, there is a very good reason too, as all the replies to this topic show, one by one.

I believe that smashing the community, our community, because of gamepad players is just unfair. Yes, casual gamers happen. But those come and go. Someone fully invested in sims, bound for whatever reason to a gamepad, is just as dedicated as any wheel user to the titles we play ;)

I would like to thank again everyone for their replies, know that I read them one by one :)

Going point by point:

No, it isn't true that you got to be a wizard to play a sim with a gamepad. Sure, there exist simracing aliens with pads, yes. Those who are capable of beating wheel users by a lap or two. But to play decently, you just need practice, not magic :D if you read much of the replies in the topic you would see that many people have said that they play with a gamepad and manage just fine. A couple lads even said that they prefer the pad to their wheels because its more immediate to setup. If the sim they are playing was to be so awful on a controller, they would stick to their wheel no matter what. If the pad is properly supported by a title, like it happens for most sims, then there exist no problem in having a fair decent experience also with a gamepad.

Secondly, no, progression is not an issue. Is not that the game progresses and you don't. You progress with the game. You get used to its physics, to the mechanics, to the cars by starting from the least powerful and gradually going upwards. You learn the tracks, you get to understand how the AI behaves. Also, you adapt to the gamepad support and tweak it along the road. The problem is, again, that the sim must have a decent gamepad support, so that it allows you to have a fair control over all range of cars. And there's no shame, if you really can't, to activate an aid or two. Yes, the car will be tamed somewhat for you. But the point is getting to play your sim, which is your passion. To be able to do that. If someone plays a racing sim, it is because they want to. They like to. Otherwise they'd stick to another genre. If they don't have a wheel, there is a very good reason too, as all the replies to this topic show, one by one.

I believe that smashing the community, our community, because of gamepad players is just unfair. Yes, casual gamers happen. But those come and go. Someone fully invested in sims, bound for whatever reason to a gamepad, is just as dedicated as any wheel user to the titles we play ;)

I would like to thank again everyone for their replies, know that I read them one by one :)
It seems like you hit a spot with your article;)

I wonder if your comment is based on personal experience? For different reasons I guess not. Seems to be popular these days to spread pseudo facts.

Cheers

The reason to use one type of controller over an other is more about enjoyment than need.
All you need is a keyboard, a pad is already a step in the right direction when wanting to enjoy driving games more and then a wheel takes it to an other level. I have never seen anybody prefer to play driving game with a keyboard or a pad over a wheel because they enjoy driving a game more that way. It is usually about cost or practicality for not having to buy and/or install the said wheel and pedals. If someone can enjoy driving a racing game with a pad, I did not see any issue with that.

I couldn't care less is you use a DD wheel with VR and full motion rig or a keyboard and mouse.
Just give me a good race and try not to wreck me.
Yes, Yes and Yes...But, we all know - its impossible, even when everybody have a wheel. Than, when we read all of here numbers and chanses going down and down and down...

Pad gamer here :D
I use pad to play every racing game,from sim like GTR2 ( my favorite sim) to arcade like Nfs. i play mostly Assetto Corsa from 3-4 years now and sometime i go for a ride whit the G27 of my friend. All i can say is a pain in the A$$ to drive whitout AIDS whit pad. You need to do a lot of lap to understand the brake of that particular car and make mistake is easy and difficult avoid sudden race incident,whit steering-Wheel 3-4 lap and already know how to brake without problem.

Pad gamer here :D
I use pad to play every racing game,from sim like GTR2 ( my favorite sim) to arcade like Nfs. i play mostly Assetto Corsa from 3-4 years now and sometime i go for a ride whit the G27 of my friend. All i can say is a pain in the A$$ to drive whitout AIDS whit pad. You need to do a lot of lap to understand the brake of that particular car and make mistake is easy and difficult avoid sudden race incident,whit steering-Wheel 3-4 lap and already know how to brake without problem.
At the end You still dont know how fast You really are...So it's only for short, random fun but not for simracing like it is.

Don’t mind doing that in real life :D

What a bizarre experiment, not sure why they chose to use a helicopter POV. No racing game has a helicopter POV. Seems like a much better experiment would have been to mount a camera where the drivers head should be and control the car from a driver POV perspective.

Why not? Rather im more motivate to drive,because most time i do lot of mistake and i know i can do better and improve my lap time :)
Yes, but than came a someone with wheel on his desk and if is good as You (mean similar skill) and have a wheel on his desk You have no chance at all. Trust me it's true. I know from personal experience.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back