Simraceway

To be honest I played SRW quite a lot a few months back and rather enjoyed it, its a fairly basic version of RF with a lot of hacking to sort out a few issues.

The FFB is bad, and the cars feel a bit wooly but back then it was good fun, but since they got all full of themselves they ahve started getting silly.

Charging someone that much money for a bunch of pixels is insane. And I should know, I played the game enough to win enough to afford one, but on principle I wouldnt buy it, not when people who run the servers are allowed to enter events etc, thereby leaving most with very little chance to win that money back in prize money.

When I raced there you had events usually consisting of a time attack or race distance, and the top 3 would get 20 credits or a wheel and the rest would get say 5 credits to get top 20 or 30, this was achieveable for me and I racked up a fair bit of cash, enough to buy the cars you need for the next events say.

But now they seem to only pay for top three, leaving most events to alien freaks who win using pads and srw wheels as they allow tap throttle and steer which as we all know is a cheat sort of, but still a highly skilled method.

Seems they have a lot more events, but very little chance of winning, whereas they used to have few events with a higher chance of success.

And some of the car prices are weird, now I know it's free to playa nd they have to get revenue in, but when some cars can be purchased just after a few hours hotlapping and you can then win credits just by getting a top 40 then charging any more than 15 credits seems odd.

they say it reflects the real world values, but cmon, since when has that had anything to do with gaming.

A damn shame as the game is fair, the help forums and chat section are second to none, and very helpful, I beta's a fair bot for them and helped them solve an issue, but I just got bored driving the same old tracks in the same old cars

I think you're being unfair saying that you cannot win, or that it is players winning using game pads. I came 2-3rd in an event just a week ago (It doesn't show on the site and the prize hasnt been given yet) but I know the winner was a GT Academy finalist, so I guess you would call him an alien, and none of the SRW members were competing in that event.

Earning credits/money wise works like this

1 lap online = 5 credits. That is any lap in an official event or quick race, including any warmup or qualifying laps and all hotlaps.

Event prizes are given in real money ($) and are given to the top 3 finishers in an overall event (not a single session) after the event replays have been reviewed, to avoid cheating or unfairplay. Currently this is the only way it is done, you can buy cars with either credits or money.

With some events you can earn around 300 credits in an hour, maybe a little more if you go flat out continious, and many of the cars fall into that price bracket, so if you dont want to pay for the cars (most of which are cheap, many less than $1) you can buy them with credits earned from merely playing the game.

Playing it now as of this last 2 weeks, there are a fair ammount of tracks and more on the way with some of the newer ones looking very nice compared to the originals (Lime Rock and Mid-Ohio for example), with SRW saying they are working on improving the graphics as they go along, the new tracks certaintly show this.

The FFB is great, comparable to a very well setup realfeel system (better than I ever got real feel by a long margin), and a lot better than the FFB in iRacing. The game prefers it if you set your wheel to around 400 degrees, atleast that is what I have found, but at the same time I thought the same thing about Rfactor, for me 900 degrees was unusable on Rfactor.

I don't know when you played but you have to understand that it is a beta, and many aspects are unfinished and being worked on, it is fairly early stages with the sim but it is coming along very very strong. When I first played it I wasnt impressed and fobbed it off, didn't touch it for months, but when I came back I had seen the improvements and experiencing some of their cars (test drive tuesdays) I can see that they have infact done a fantastic job in making this a real simulator that can and very much will be competing on similar grounds to iRacing in the future.

I highly recommend these cars : The start Lancer Evolution is a bad representation of the potencial of this Rfactor based sim.

Toyota Supra
BMW Z4 GT3

Haha

I played it very recently, and dont get me wrong it is not PCARS, not many are that bad.

But after playing RF and RF2, even RACE, the FFB and feel from the game just doesnt feel right for me, might for you, but not for me.

It seems a little simplified, you cant do much with setups which is good and bad in that you cant find some alien setup but you also cant tailor a car to your taste.

But mainly, as I said, in the past the coverage for winning was broader, you could win a few credits by finishing top 20 or 30.

Most events now are for aliens only, and if you managed it mate then fair play, you are from Mars.

I entered 20 or so events there, managed to win cash in every one, but was never anywhere near the freaks that won, they were rather special, and often used pads and SRW wheels, which was weird!

I've not seen anything about players using pads or wheels, the aliens winning the events are the same ones who are top in other sims, some of the sim racing/hotlapping elite, such as finalists from the GT Academy etc, never heard anything about those using pads, but if they are then fairplay to them it just makes what they did even more impressive.

There was a guy who got through to the GT Academy 2011 finals using a gamepad for his time, though he could match or beat it with a wheel too. End of the day a gamepad only makes it hard, means you have to be even more precise and controlled with your movements in order to create the perfect lap. I can't do it anywhere near as well as I can with my wheel but if some people can.. fairplay to them.

The events prizes are only for the best, as only the top 3 win prizes, and if the best drivers are there they will obviously win. With that said though, it is in beta and what they have in place now is most likely a placeholder system for people to do while they build it up. Earning credits by the way of 5 per lap makes it easy to buy cars.

As for the FFB, it is essencially Rfactor RealFeel just very well tuned, I can't see what is not to like if you liked the Rfactor FFB. As for setups, seems the same situation as Rfactor to me, as it is the same system, only that many events are fixed setup (which suits me just fine). I've never been a massive setup guy, I'm a driver and not an engineer and having fixed setups makes it easier for me to be competitive, so in terms of setup I'm never going to be the best judge.

Simraceway is essencially Rfactor, somebody has picked it up and fixed it up, with real race teams involved and real data, real racing drivers behind it, and to me it shows. I can't go back and play Rfactor mods, most of them are so junk in comparison.

But its a long way to go until we see what this sim really brings, keep that in mind, to me Rfactor 2 (aside from the 60s F1 car) is even further behind.

Believe me it is not realfeel as the mods told me to use that anyway!

And to be honest I dont really think Rfactor needs fixing, it stands up now with a few little extras as being very good.

I am not being overly critical of the game, their approach is better than most, they are very helpful guys, I just think they have alienated a few of the longer term players who i used to chat to, by making the events so much harder to place in, it's like the original add on to Rf.

And believe me, if you think most mods on RF are junk, then my son, we were definately playing a different game!

Historix, F191, GP79, Enduracers, F5000, 60/70's sportscars, TCL, F12007, surely thats enough!

I gave it a test drive and will never play it again.
The positive thing is the dl speed(90 Mbps) and the easy installation.

The FFB is very basic and easy to drive but I could only race online and not offline with ai.
After 3 coffee I gave up ( nobody plays this ). And it looks very old.

rF can be really really good (considering it's age) with proper settings tuned to a particular mod. It's ugly, looked dated out of the box but it's very versatile, probably the most customizable sims in the market. The mod collection is absolutely the largest in the universe (of earth bound simracing titles, that is..) but as out-of-the-box the game, it's horrible. Steep learning curve off track, that means a lot of tweaking settings outside the game manually and adding right content. My copy of rF is for converting only and still it's full of crap, menus are from one mod and cars are from second, menus are broken in places etc... That was after one day and probably 3-4 mod installs later so that's the low point, besides interface but we should drive not fiddle menus. Once those are done, the hours you can waste are worth it.

I gave it a test drive and will never play it again.
The positive thing is the dl speed(90 Mbps) and the easy installation.

The FFB is very basic and easy to drive but I could only race online and not offline with ai.
After 3 coffee I gave up ( nobody plays this ). And it looks very old.

There is the same offline/AI racing as in Rfactor, so I'm not sure why you had that issue. When I was playing Simraceway quite often there were a lot of people online, though in comparison to a busy iRacing it is quite low on numbers.

Give it a chance though, it is in beta at the moment, many of the cars within the sim are fantastic and I would rate some of them among my favourite in any sim (BMW Z4 GT3, Toyota Supra, Dodge Viper). It makes sense given that there are racing drivers involved with this and they have their own test circuit (sonoma). To me the cars all feel fantastic, very driveable.

It's such a pity that the Evo X is the only starter car, as it is probably the worst car of the whole bunch. Anyway they just added Watkins Glen to the track list along with 2 ovals. In my opinion the graphics look pretty good considering it is Rfactor.

SimracewayFormulaRenault35BRNOrace1.png

Vipersimracewaycockpit.png
SimracewayRenault5TurboatLRbumpercam.png

There is the same offline/AI racing as in Rfactor, so I'm not sure why you had that issue. When I was playing Simraceway quite often there were a lot of people online, though in comparison to a busy iRacing it is quite low on numbers.

Give it a chance though, it is in beta at the moment, many of the cars within the sim are fantastic and I would rate some of them among my favourite in any sim (BMW Z4 GT3, Toyota Supra, Dodge Viper). It makes sense given that there are racing drivers involved with this and they have their own test circuit (sonoma). To me the cars all feel fantastic, very driveable.

It's such a pity that the Evo X is the only starter car, as it is probably the worst car of the whole bunch. Anyway they just added Watkins Glen to the track list along with 2 ovals. In my opinion the graphics look pretty good considering it is Rfactor.

SimracewayFormulaRenault35BRNOrace1.png

Vipersimracewaycockpit.png
SimracewayRenault5TurboatLRbumpercam.png
Ryan if you have not tried them yet the R18 and Indycar are great fun. All I can say is we all have a choice, play or don,t . I,m enjoying it.

The ever growing roster of cars for this game is beginning to be hard to ignore for me...
They just added the Lancia Stratos...We don't even have it RSRBR... so this game just needs gravel, and I'll definitely give it hash.

They just released Circuit of the Americas, and today is test drive tuesday for the Mclaren MP4-27 F1 car, it feels very simular to the iRacing F1 car in terms of driving, but very good none the less.

Having driven the Lancia Stratos and Mclaren M6GT cars a lot I have to say I think for driving feel and realism this is my favourite sim of them all now, the certain cars that it does really well are so good that they really blew my mind. With those 2 cars in particular, not only do they drive really well but they also sound really really good, some of the best car sounds I've heard in any game, and to top it off they look great considering the Rfactor engine underneath.

I don't spend a lot of time playing this game, but the time I do spend is quality.

Top Tip : Don't set your wheel to 900 degrees. I run mine at 500. So many people ignore this advice (there are recommended settings for wheels on the forums) and then moan about steering reponse/ffb.

I just tried Sim Raceway this week and found it to be better than expected. I will admit that I have not spent a lot of time with the title beyond hot lapping but the street cars (only type of cars I have tried) feel good. I agree that the Evo X feels clumsy but I did the free Tuesday Saleen which was much better. Then I spent $5 and bought three other cars and they all felt much better than the Evo. Maybe it is just the implementation of AWD that hurts the evo because the rear wheel cars feel good.

I purchased the RX7 because I owned that car in real life years back and took it to the track many times. I thought the sim version was pretty accurate... a little bit more power on oversteer than I remember but I had upgraded my rear tires IRL to a larger size after a 70 mph spin at the track put some fear into me :whistling: The sound seemed pretty accurate but a bit overly digitized. Overall a good virtual re-creation of that car.

Overall my early review is good feel and FFB (maybe not the very best but there are much worse out there). Cars have good weight and the ffb is solid. It seems like a good implementation of RF1 to me. Graphics are decent--not competitive with new titles but better than many RF1 mods (not as clean as GSC though). Sounds are pretty good too. For $5: four cars if you choose wisely and a bunch of free tracks... it seems like you can't go wrong to give it a try. Particularly if you hanker for street cars in a sim on the pc. I'm not sure I would view SimRaceway as a race-car choice yet as most race cars are a bit pricy and there are lots of other pc options for those anyway.

I thought i'd mention that today is Test Drive Tuesday for the Mclaren MP4/4. That means you can drive it for free today and it's 50% off to purchase it for keeps.

LOGO_McLaren_MP4_4_1988_FrontThreeQuarter.jpg

They also added a few cars to the sim, including the 1995 Mclaren F1 LM road car

LOGO_McLarenF1LM_1995_FrontThreeQuarter.JPG

I registered a good while ago and did some test laps in that boring mitshu, I've been receiving their weekly mails ever since and must admit it seems they have a impressive choice if cars (I love the test drive Tuesday concept too). Gonna give it a new spin once I'm back home from the holiday vacation.

Found some info on the FFB on there forum thanks Ryan:thumbsup:
If you are using a wheel, which is a Logitech G27/G27 or simililar and feel like there is no FFB around the center, especially while driving on the straight, then this thread is exactly for you.
(CLICK )

T500rs Settings (CLICK )
G27 (CLICK )
G25 (CLICK )

im happy with the setting found in the section for the g25 ffb. It feel good if still a little strong .. im used to my setting in Gt legends ..so i might have a tinker to try and replicate that feel...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 387 39.8%