SimLabs GT1 build log (includes NLV3 motion platform mounting)

It starts.....

5 weeks ago I decided to pull the trigger on a chassis upgrade after building an 'Anthony Room' extension on the bottom level of my house. I ordered a SimLabs GT1 80 / 20 cockpit after hearing so many good things about this type of material for sim racing cockpits.

It arrived this afternoon.

20180501_140453.jpg

After 50kg's worth of aluminium made its way from the Netherlands to Australia, it still had an hour drive home from work before we could get started.

My games room:

20180501_162232.jpg

Cleaning up whatever was in the way in the yet to be completed move-in, I made room to begin the build. Half the components of my new build are yet to arrive. As some may know, I also decided that nowhere near enough money was spend on the chassis and decided to upgrade to an OSW direct drive wheel, HE Pro Pedals and handbrake. 2 Buttkicker Mini LFE's will also replace my 4 Aura Bass Shakers used on the previous build. As you can see I was quite eager to try them and 5 weeks is a long wait for anything in sim racing. They are screwed to an old table and I've been running them while driving with a game pad sitting at my PC, in-between them.

It's highly NOT recommended to try and drive with a game pad, FYI.....

20180501_162245.jpg

Getting on to crack open the boxes now.

20180501_170401.jpg

Everything was pretty well packed and nothing seems to be damaged. @Mascot was right about the lack of instructions.... None whatsoever. Just knowing what the parts are for would have been enough, but I assume that they all go together a particular way and you would know if a part was wrong as long as you follow a logical build structure. One slightly disappointing thing was that I received the standard, cheaper Fanatec shifter mount (one I originally had in the cart) but I ordered the more expensive, round looking one. I am sure I can make it work. If I get the extra parts that I requested, I'll be happy. Who knows, I may not even need it and just use it as a Buttkicker mount for the rear....

Time to get started.

20180501_174441.jpg

Bottom frame loosely together to allow for adjustments before I tighten down and pull everything into square. Nice of SimLabs to include the rubber feet of the P1 in my GT1 build. On their site it states you get plastic feet which in the pictures do look slightly higher and obviously a different material to the rubber included in the P1. I appreciate that. I do have some rubber isolation coming for the seat and pedals and planned on using the left overs for the feet. Well they aren't here yet and as @Mascot pointed out, put the feet on before you get too far into the build. I have to change pedals soon anyway and will sort all of the above ground stuff out later. Much easier to get to than turning the chassis upside down once the monitors are on..... ;)

A side note. I was worried how much room this chassis would take behind my desk chair here (my PC is to the left of the chassis in the photo). It's footprint is actually pretty good as you can see. You can measure all you like before hand but nothing is like actually having the item in the place where it's going to be sitting. I think I'll be OK.

20180501_180912.jpg
20180501_180906.jpg

A quick look at how the V3 platform fits inside the seat mounting frame. The gap either side of the bottom frame is actually not too bad. Spacers might have worked and allowed me to drop into the frame a bit better than what I have planned. I do have an idea though, and will try that once I get some food into me and continue the build. You can see the absolutely shocking drill out I had to do on the rear of the top frame of the platform to accommodate the seat slider and H frame on the old chassis. These are both gone now and the build will be much better for it. The lower I can get this platform the more options I have when choosing a seating position. I've always wanted to have my feet high and stuck out way in front to simulate being in an open wheeler. Hopefully this chassis and what I have planned for the V3 mount will allow this.

Having fun so far :)

20180501_200935.jpg
20180501_204156.jpg

So, the original (above) brackets I had in mind were a little too long. The platform barely sits above the carpet. Which is great for seating position but not so great for the fan underneath. So, I had some others lying around I was intending on using for Buttkicker mounts, that I don't think I will need. They also look HEAPS stronger, and will also bring the platform up enough for me to be comfortable with ventilation. Very similar to the single piece @Mascot had fabricated but not as nice :)

Mounting platform now.

20180501_212855.jpg

So the second bracket option is a no go as well. The bolt heads hit up against the profile because of the different drop in the bracket. I've conceded that for tonight, at least, I am reverting back to plan A and taking it from there. I want to get most of this together tonight and if I spend any longer perfecting the V3 mount I may well have no time for anything else. The V3 does sit a fair bit higher this way, but it's something I can come back to later on without too much fuss, I'd say. With it in front of me I have a much better chance of knowing what will work best.

Last edited:
So basically, the build seems to be complete. I know it's never complete, but pretty much everything I have ordered has come and been mounted and I am absolutely thrilled with the final result. In all ways. They way the entire rig sits in the new room, the way it looks, they mounting options of all the hardware, the way it feels to drive (although I still have not used the V3 with it yet!), everything just feels top tier right now and I am super super happy. A few final shots to finish off before I return with some thoughts on the OSW, the HE Pro Pedals and also the rest of the HE gear I have mounted, and how it all feels with the V3 going in all it's glory.

20180513_180438.jpg

20180513_180445.jpg

20180513_180456.jpg

20180513_180517.jpg

Thanks for joining in and following along! I am really happy I decided to do the build log, as so much has changed since my initial decision to simply upgrade the chassis in the fear of dismantling and moving the old one downstairs! I practically have a totally new setup and it's going to be amazing to jump in now and fine tune all the OSW software to get that dialed in. Stay tuned for impressions on all the new gear and how the V3 feels in its new home. Shout-outs to all that chimed in and helped with problem solving, ideas for various mounts and keeping me company here during the early hours of each morning of the past 2 weeks! So good to be active in an amazing community.

See ya's soon :)

Attachments

• 20180513_180509.jpg
    20180513_180509.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 581
Upvote 0
Excellent work sir! Super-clean setup, just how I like them. Before I built my P1 rig I'd never liked the aesthetics of 80/20 cockpits, but bought one because from a practical standpoint it was the right thing to do. Now I think they look sexy as fook..!
Looking forward to hearing all about your NLV3 and OSW impressions on a rock-solid base. Why haven't you sparked up the V3 yet?

Upvote 0
So basically, the build seems to be complete. I know it's never complete, but pretty much everything I have ordered has come and been mounted and I am absolutely thrilled with the final result. In all ways. They way the entire rig sits in the new room, the way it looks, they mounting options of all the hardware, the way it feels to drive (although I still have not used the V3 with it yet!), everything just feels top tier right now and I am super super happy. A few final shots to finish off before I return with some thoughts on the OSW, the HE Pro Pedals and also the rest of the HE gear I have mounted, and how it all feels with the V3 going in all it's glory.

View attachment 251305

View attachment 251306

View attachment 251307

View attachment 251303

Thanks for joining in and following along! I am really happy I decided to do the build log, as so much has changed since my initial decision to simply upgrade the chassis in the fear of dismantling and moving the old one downstairs! I practically have a totally new setup and it's going to be amazing to jump in now and fine tune all the OSW software to get that dialed in. Stay tuned for impressions on all the new gear and how the V3 feels in its new home. Shout-outs to all that chimed in and helped with problem solving, ideas for various mounts and keeping me company here during the early hours of each morning of the past 2 weeks! So good to be active in an amazing community.

See ya's soon :)
hi anton i have a OSW setup for two years now . argon and now simcube and there are many settings you can play with and can be frustrating at the start but in time you will learn ...Here is a tip to get you started on the right path.go to youtube search Sim Racing SKeijmel he has vids and instructions and set up simcube .. for RF2.. RACEROOM....AC..IRACING..AMS his setups are VERY GOOD .......Regards... have fun with your OSW and the new rig

Last edited:
Upvote 0
looking real nice that is mate well done !!
i'm just waiting for my rig to turn up (Tuesday hopefully) most of the kit is the same as yours.. cant wait.
Nice job on the cable management looks like the hardest part to get it all nice and neat to me. I've seen a couple of cable tidy boxes on amazon just to hide the worst offenders away so hoping that will do the trick.
thumbs up

Upvote 0
@Mascot I haven't fired everything up properly yet because I wanted the buiild completely sorted before I start messing around with driving. Next is settings in game and OSW, and also micro managing the placement of the hardware, mainly pedals, but also the shifter and handbrake. I want to play with the HE Pro's and see what I can get out of them in their adjustments, they seem very customize-able although out of the box they feel very good already. Then I do need to sort the VR settings out again as that was giving me trouble before I tore the old rig down, and THEN I need to re-play with the V3 settings depending how the feel has changed on the new chassis as well as look at the new settings. So plenty still to do and I like getting every box ticked before I relax into proper driving. Plus, I like to have something to look forward to so I am saving that for last :) I was the same as you with the looks thing but the SimLab pics especially look mint af... I like them a lot now.

@Neil Farren You're most welcome :)

@bluey thank you very much sir for that tip, I've subbed to that channel now and will be referring to it once I start.

@justinhcb I am looking at those boxes you mentioned, that could be a great way to finish off my little cable mess, which is not too bad but still cable management can ALWAYS be neater :) Thanks for the heads up. Good luck with your build and definitely refer back to this for some feedback and also a refresher on what I've done

Anyone who has followed this in regards to wanting a way to mount a V3 or even just to upgrade or start fresh with an 80/20 chassis, feel free to add to the thread with your build, impressions and experiences. I've sort of finished mine but I would love to have the thread continue into an 80/20 owners club. Would be AWESOME to follow along with others as you guys have followed along with me!

Upvote 0
Anyone who has followed this in regards to wanting a way to mount a V3 or even just to upgrade or start fresh with an 80/20 chassis, feel free to add to the thread with your build, impressions and experiences. I've sort of finished mine but I would love to have the thread continue into an 80/20 owners club. Would be AWESOME to follow along with others as you guys have followed along with me!
I'll stick up a pic of my P1 with its sunken NLV3 then. ;)
The handbrake is fitted so this is pretty much finished... for now.
Ooh, tell a lie - I've got a Sim Lab keyboard tray in transit as we speak.

kQtxNBu.jpg

Upvote 0
I'll be interested in seeing the keyboard tray mounted. Hey by the way, what case is that? Bit Fenix? I am building my wife an upstairs PC for the now normal non sim racing study and I want a small form factor attractive case. Your one looks nice.

In hindsight, the way I have mounted my button boxes, I probably would have been better off the the front mount plate for the wheel base. I could have mounted the boxes to that rather than to the now absent V2.5. I've worked it out now, but it would have worked I think regardless now that I have had to change the mount method due to changing wheel bases.

Upvote 0
Took some quick pics:
IMG_0999.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg
IMG_1004.jpg
IMG_1005.jpg

I managed to get the Obutto keyboard tray attached using the keyboard tray adapter from Next Level Racing. It's a square opening, but the round pole from Obutto fits right in, and tightens perfectly.

I'm waiting for a second keyboard tray to arrive so I can mount my Fanatec Clubsport Shifter on the left side.

And for those wondering, I've made sure to test the full limits of the seat's movement to ensure it doesn't mash into the keyboard tray arm, so we're good there. The tray will bounce up and down during motion, but not more than the wobble it was initially designed to have.

As a side note, motion has changed everything. I can't describe how fun it's been this weekend.

I'd like to quickly thank @Mascot for his detailed pictures and build log of his P1. I used his method of filing larger holes on the V3 platform to fit my Obutto seat properly.

If anyone has any questions, or wants specific pictures, let me know.

Upvote 0
I'll be interested in seeing the keyboard tray mounted. Hey by the way, what case is that? Bit Fenix? I am building my wife an upstairs PC for the now normal non sim racing study and I want a small form factor attractive case. Your one looks nice.

I bought my PC second hand locally about a year ago from someone who'd built a gaming PC then decided they wanted to move to Xbox so he could play with friends. Good spot - the case is a Bit Fenix Prodigy M. Around £70 over here.

s-l400.jpg

Upvote 0
@Mascot yeah that's a nice looking case. I ended up finding one (not that one) the will suit the room it's going in pretty good. It actually looks like a console (take that how you will!) so fairly small and pretty inconspicuous.

FD-CA-NODE-202-BK-HERO.jpg

Should look nice in the newly made over, non sim racing, study :)

Upvote 0
@Mascot yeah that's a nice looking case. I ended up finding one (not that one) the will suit the room it's going in pretty good. It actually looks like a console (take that how you will!) so fairly small and pretty inconspicuous.

View attachment 251694

Should look nice in the newly made over, non sim racing, study :)

Heya Guys,

Long time lurker, 1st time poster here - I’ve been following these threads with great interest. I have a NLR V3 waiting to be dropped into a SimLabs GT1 when it arrives and the info and insight from you guys has been really helpful.

AntoN_CheZ, I thought I’d post because I have 1st hand experience with that slim case you have your eyes on...

Although a very nice form factor - it has horrendous cooling and airflow issues! (no fault of the case, just limitations of the form) - any attempt to drop anything approaching high end components into it will not garner favourable performance! I even modded mine quite heavily with extra vents and openings in all the right places and even then it made only marginal gains and would still cook within about 10mins of demanding use.

For reference, at the time the hardware used was a 4960k & 980ti and all the rest was the best performing components and cooling you can get to fit the form factor.

Coincidentally, all that kit now lives in a Bitfenix Prodigy (original, not M) and it couldn’t be happier! Overclocking to the limits, cool, and singing all day.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: wrong recipient and spelling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heya Guys,

Long time lurker, 1st time poster here - I’ve been following these threads with great interest. I have a NLR V3 waiting to be dropped into a SimLabs GT1 when it arrives and the info and insight from you guys has been really helpful.

Mascot, I thought I’d post because I have 1st hand experience with that slim case you have your eyes on...

Although a very nice form factor - it has horrendous cooling and airflow issues! (no fault of the case, just limitations of the form) - any attempt to drop anything approaching high end components into it will not garner favourable performance! I even modded mine quite heavily with extra vents and openings in all the right places and even then it made only marginal gains and would still cook within about 10mins of demanding use.

For reference, at the time the hardware used was a 4960k & 980ti and all the rest was the best performing components and cooling you can get to fit the form factor.

Coincidentally, all that kit now lives in a Bitfenix Prodigy (original, not M) and it couldn’t be happier! Over locking to the limits and singing all day.

Hope this helps.
Welcome, @fubarbrickdust ..!
There's an NLV3 thread as well that you might want to check out (if you haven't already)
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/buying-advice-please-next-level-v3-motion-platform.137061/

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the NLV3. Where did you buy it and how much did you pay? Just curious as the price seems to have dropped recently (it's a sniff over £2k at Amazon at the moment, but they haven't had stock for a few weeks).

It was @AntoN_CheZ who was considering the smaller PC case - I'm the one with the Prodigy. I agree - it's great! I must get around to trying OC'ing one of these days.

Upvote 0
Welcome, @fubarbrickdust ..!
There's an NLV3 thread as well that you might want to check out (if you haven't already)
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/buying-advice-please-next-level-v3-motion-platform.137061/

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the NLV3. Where did you buy it and how much did you pay? Just curious as the price seems to have dropped recently (it's a sniff over £2k at Amazon at the moment, but they haven't had stock for a few weeks).

It was @AntoN_CheZ who was considering the smaller PC case - I'm the one with the Prodigy. I agree - it's great! I must get around to trying OC'ing one of these days.

Heya Mascot,

Thanks for the welcome! :thumbsup:

Yes! Very much looking forward to getting the V3 into action...as of writing I’ve only been able to test that it’s in working order - I sat on the bare unit and threw myself off using the diagnostic tool sliders. It works!

I’m pretty sure I snagged the last one from Overclockers here in the UK - I’d been specking up the build and had theirs on my radar as it was on discount at the time...they had 3 on one day and then 1 the next...that forced my hand. Bagged for £2099, which is the cheapest (in stock) price is found.

Still waiting on the GT1, but I understand they have a lead time of 10-15 working days at the moment, which is fine as I need to come up with an engineering solution for mounting my seat to the V3...it’s not a racing seat, but a leather office chair that I’d de-throned and used as the basis for my current steel scaffold rig.
Sound weighty but the seat itself is rather light and comfy, plus it already has one of my main mods which is a Gametrix Jetseat 908 That I’d taken apart and intergrated the internals into the actual seat and back.

It’s a bit of a headscratcher, but not an insurmountable one. Besides, you guys have already come up with several options to get the V3 into a SimLabs rig so that one’s already covered!

Upvote 0
Interesting about the JetSeat mod - they get really good reviews and I've been looking at getting one as an alternative to transducers to supplement the motion of the NLV3. Seems the current JetSeat has been discontinued now and is being replaced by the ForceFeel 08.
Your scaffold/office chair setup sounds interesting - got any photos?

Upvote 0
Interesting about the JetSeat mod - they get really good reviews and I've been looking at getting one as an alternative to transducers to supplement the motion of the NLV3. Seems the current JetSeat has been discontinued now and is being replaced by the ForceFeel 08.
Your scaffold/office chair setup sounds interesting - got any photos?

Yeah, they're totally cool and really add a lot to the immersion, especially if you don't have any motion or tactile. Although, you'll probably find that your feet and pedals feel a little left out when you have all that extra sensory stuff going to the rest of your body. I added some small scale tactile to my pedals to remedy the oddity in the end...

I do have some shots as it happens, but I've thrown them up in the 'Show your rig' thread as to not go off topic too much on this one.

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/show-your-cockpit.19/page-165#post-2749190

I will certainly add my new d and thoughts to this thread once it all comes together, however :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back