SimHub Shakeit Bass Shaker V3 BETA - Discussion

Mr Latte

Premium
Just an attempt in doing a thread to start discussing the controls, the setup for creating effects for the new Shakeit V3 Beta. Wotever (developer) has provided links to this in the Discord channel. Please note that this is not in any way an official thread for help from the developer or a place to use to contact him. :)

I do not attempt, to take away from the developer but if anything this thread may help alleviate some common questions he may get. Curious to see if people want to chat about or share different attempts at creating effects.

What I would like to share is the testing I am doing with the new tactile exciters I recently purchased and discovering how 6 of these could be used on the back of the seat. Ideally as this software makes it easy to control placing effects to the different channels.

Last edited:
my tutorial on sim hub 6.8.2

Thank you, this video is a step in the right direction in helping understanding how to get settings for tactile using SimHub. As a beginner with Shakeit all help is welcome. I like your approach of altering settings as you drive and keeping an eye on what the output curve look like, In VR, it is not possible, so I drive on 2D when I adjust the settings.
Limiting to one effect on one output is also key to really understanding what settings are really doing.
After a week it is getting less frustrating. SimHub is a real gem.
Some terms are still eluding me, but I am getting better at getting effect feelings that I like.
Less is more and patience are 2 key elements to succes.

Upvote 0
Auto-calibration sensitivity and Auto threshold sensitivity.
First question: what does Auto actually do? does it auto adjust? In what way is it auto?
2nd question, what is the difference between Threshold and auto sensitivity threshold? How are they working together?

Upvote 0
Auto-calibration sensitivity and Auto threshold sensitivity.
First question: what does Auto actually do? does it auto adjust? In what way is it auto?
2nd question, what is the difference between Threshold and auto sensitivity threshold? How are they working together?
Auto calibration actually does analyze the incoming telemetry to eveluate what is the current dynamic range for the current car/track combo (it's not a "max' which would be really destroying the contrast.) The ideas is to make sure to fit X% of all the incoming data in the calibrated range (X% is determined by the slider).
Auto-threshlod works the same to be sure you have x% of quiet time overall when driving (avoid permanent effects) Auto threshold will cut very few range when using the default value, where it will act the most is dirt rally (1/2) where without any threshold you would have an annoying permanent buzz, on other games it cuts a very little lower range
Adding a manual threshold will act after those automatic calibrations (nb:Auto threshold can be totally disabled by putting the slider full left if required.

Upvote 0
OK, thank you, I think I get it.
At 100% in both case is the full effect.
With Calibration compressing the dynamic when "needed" in some combo and not doing anything on an other combo that does not "need" it.
Auto Threshold will raise the threshold level in a similar manner, only when "needed" depending on combo.
Both are reading the input and measuring it against a standard.

Upvote 0
OK, thank you, I think I get it.
At 100% in both case is the full effect.
With Calibration compressing the dynamic when "needed" in some combo and not doing anything on an other combo that does not "need" it.
Auto Threshold will raise the threshold level in a similar manner, only when "needed" depending on combo.
Both are reading the input and measuring it against a standard.
Yes that's it,
In fact most effects values are speed unit (or kind of (speed of the suspension, speed of the slip on the ground ...) So there is no maximum value out of box, so automatic calibration Indeed learns from the telemetry what is the boundaries
Imagine you have incoming values going from 0 to 500, and for instance 99.9% of the values never goes over 80, and very very very rarely you have a peak at 500 (this will vary from game to game, track to track car to car ... ) Then simhub will pick 80 as the actual maximum instead of 500, this will ensure to get a good contrast between the higher effects and the smallest.

For the threshold it's similar but instead of picking a maximum value it choses a minimum value (but like I said it will be almost placebo on most games :it cuts about 2 or 3 % in average, but on dirt rally this can go up to 20% to ensure the best effect range)

Upvote 0
Yes that's it,
In fact most effects values are speed unit (or kind of (speed of the suspension, speed of the slip on the ground ...) So there is no maximum value out of box, so automatic calibration Indeed learns from the telemetry what is the boundaries
Imagine you have incoming values going from 0 to 500, and for instance 99.9% of the values never goes over 80, and very very very rarely you have a peak at 500 (this will vary from game to game, track to track car to car ... ) Then simhub will pick 80 as the actual maximum instead of 500, this will ensure to get a good contrast between the higher effects and the smallest.

For the threshold it's similar but instead of picking a maximum value it choses a minimum value (but like I said it will be almost placebo on most games :it cuts about 2 or 3 % in average, but on dirt rally this can go up to 20% to ensure the best effect range)
Thank you, it make sense now.
With auto calibration, if, like in your example, it picks 80 at 100%, what would it pick at 50%?

Upvote 0
Having a technical understanding of what certain settings do is useful. Obviously, the programmer needs to apply controls to help generate better effects operation from the telemetry different titles, cars etc may produce. Sure the ideal would be that we want an optimal control and usage of the telemetry and that's what this seems to be doing.

Yet even having this understanding of what some features are technically doing. As users seeking to create effects, we still need to test and compare how settings values can generate a different response within the settings controls they offer. Then us apply settings to suit the desired purpose or role of the effect layer it is for.

I approach it this way, I want to see how an effect responds with lowest possible settings, to balanced settings and to high settings. It's then possible to monitor the activity, output and response for what each layers settings is doing. To me this is what matters, I can only work with what the software offers in controls and that was one of the biggest drawbacks with SSW. Having the controls is great but it takes time to learn and understand how we can best set these. So it also brings more confusion too.

Enthusiast Hardware
Personally, how I go about this and I really enjoy using the Behringer HA6000 for its channel monitoring activity. Its also not limited to monitoring only 4 channels at once. I prefer this than relying on Simhubs live output. Just that I find having peak meters for each channel much easier to do comparisons between channels in comparing different settings with a quick glance.

The peak meter instantly shows the rate of response activity and the output level in how strong the effect is. At this point we don't need to know what frequencies are being generated, this is more to determine how the settings are controlling the effect's activity/operation, not the effects felt output.

I make use of Simhubs superb channel controls. So by placing the left channel with low settings, and the right channel with high settings, Then we quickly see what the different settings on each channel are actually doing in realtime to the effect's operation.

So what does that tell us?
Its important for understanding how we use certain effects. Part of this can be which effects offer per wheel suspension operation and which effects operate based on a vertical surge for all wheels. Some of you may go about effects building in your own ways or approach. These below, are things I take into consideration with my own testing for (bump based) effects creation. Seeking to not rely on any single specific setting but instead have layers work in different ways for set roles in making use of the controls but applying them differently for the following scenarios.

Rapid Response
For saw curbs and small bumps, offering a fast and light feel. We can apply a harmonic layer to this as well to give the brrrrr type sound.

Medium Response
For general road bumps, activity and directional wheel placed sensations.

Deep Response
Additional attention given to larger bumps to output extended bass for each wheel. Potentially generated via 4x large BK units (1x per wheel).

Chassis Response
Ideal for the car bottoming or impacts. Have this output to all-wheel related channels in mono at once. Or to a large installed unit acting as central subwoofer role. Individual unit or one placed in seat and one placed on pedal region could be examples.

Advanced / Basic
The potential is rather awesome with advanced installation and something I want to explore and enjoy with my own build. It's also possible to have just a basic or single-layer approach for bumps. Depends on the user how far they can or may want to take things regarding the limitations/abilities with the tactile hardware they use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Buenas tardes. Acabo de instalar 4 bodyshaker en estéreo y necesito ayuda. ¿Podría enviar su configuración de efectos para importarlos directamente y no volverse loco? especialmente assetto corsa y assetto corsa competizione
Gracias
Mod Edit: this is an English speaking forum as per our ToS please use it in future.
Good afternoon. I just installed 4 bodyshaker in stereo and I need help. Could you send your effects settings to import them directly and not go crazy? especially assetto corsa and assetto corsa competizione Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Mr. Latte, I just can say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
For this and the main tactile thread!

I'm just starting with tactile feedback (and my own, new simrig), but I never actually _thought_ about combining the same effect with different settings (as you did in the 3rd post)!

At the moment, I'm starting small - I have a very old Aurora Interactor vest I'm going to strip (for the pedal area) and another cheap shaker (https://www.pollin.at/p/bass-shaker-640338) for the seat already. (Wanted to mount it in my flightsim, but at the moment I'm more into racing *gg*)

Once again, thx for all your posts according tactile feedback, very much appreciate it!!

greetings
michi

Upvote 0
I don't understand.
For the road effects in say F1 2019using a BKG2

what is the difference in feel between putting sensitivity on normal vs high?
what is the difference in feel between putting the threshold on normal vs high?

Using concrete feel examples?

What is the difference in feel?

I notice in simhub, I feel the kerbs and offroad effect too late compared to other effects. There feels to be like a 0.1 second delay when you hit a kerb to when you feel it. (delays are off for those effects: R vibration, R effects).... all the other effects do not appear to have a delay

Upvote 0
I am not sure where to ask this, so trying here.

I have two bass shakers, and a 8020 racing RIG. Should I mount my speakers on the left and right at hip level on the seat, or at the butt and feet areas? And why.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back