SimFeedback-AC DIY Motion Simulator 10Khz Research

Hey all,

I'm really keen to build one of the SFX-100 rigs, but I've heard (been in the presence of) my brothers and the 10khz servo/driver noise really does my head in, so much so that I would not be able to put up with it. 5-10m of it, and I'm done. This is a darn shame :)

So, I'm going to see if I can get rid of it. Either electronically (preferred) or with accoustic treatment(s).

In this thread I'm simply going to document my journey. At this point I am unsure if it'll come to anything. Maybe I won't succeed. Maybe I'll get half way. Who knows.

The story begins with Neil buying himself a single driver and servo, a 3d printer, and saying to himself "hmm. what next" :)

My full notes are here, but I can't promise you'll understand them: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J4AUnKNYtFRujTR9BFBB_lJudZRP_02BOt6lfAIN45I/edit?usp=sharing

Look below, I'm going to try to post a more understandable version of my journey!

Last edited:
Hey there! sorry long time no post.

OK. An update. The build is mostly complete (see: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/sfx-100-silent-driver-case-build.177437/). The noise reduction is very good. It's not "perfect" (I can still hear it), but compared to the nightmare of 4x drivers and 4x motors whining all together, it's very very "put-up-able-with". So, I count it as a success.

I *do* want to re-do my driver case now that I've learnt more about EMI and the pain that goes with it, but what I've done so far does work. It's just fiddly.

Now, angled connectors. @Dutchlincoln - can you be more specific?

Upvote 0
In response to "I know people are looking at covering the motors but why not something smaller/simpler/cheaper and just have something which absorbs the frequency over the ears."...

That doens't help other people in the same space. And it also doesn't mean the sound/ouput/noise is no longer in that same space. My goal was to try to reduce/elimitate (not sure I got QUITE that far) the noise.

Personally: I might not be able to "hear" it while racing. Does that mean it is gone? no. Does that mean its not fatiguing me? nope. That's my rationale behind what I'm doing. I *do* understand that for many people it's not that much of a big deal. But for me, it is a big deal. Big enough to go through all this hassle.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• 20210808_143647.jpg
    20210808_143647.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, that must be much easier to dampen.

Edit: I just checked. I have some whining sound from them too.
Best of luck. I tried swapping controllers, cables, shielding, earthing... I even built a sealed acoustic box for them with a temperature probe. Nada. The 10kHz whine killed my enthusiasm in the end and I had to reluctantly sell the whole kaboodle.
Hopefully as I get older my ears will detune themselves to that particular frequency but at the time it was absolute torture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Those punching bags over the already monstrosity that is the SFX actuators make me 100% back my decision to be rid of it. There is NO way I'd be dealing with looking at that every day.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I don't blame you for doing it though. I know Steve, for one, had to sell his purely because of the noise. It would be shocking to live with it if not for wearing headphones while driving. It didn't bother me that much, but it was something I wanted to turn off as soon as I got out of the seat.

Upvote 0
Interesting thread. I asked PT actuators and they want 150$ for each of these new drivers so i'd be looking at 900$ before tax to replace mine. Thankfully i dont hear it much with my VR HMD on and about 80% seems to be coming from the drivers. I Made a fully closed enclosure from dense floor boards and that takes away the driver noise for me and they seem to be generating very little heat so with my usual 1-2h sessions there's no issue for me without having cooling fans. i tested for 30 min on a loop and the gauge still sits at 22-24c which is barely above ambient. Drivers around 30C so i cant imagine it gets more than 40-50C tops in there after 2h of hard driving or flying. Its just pushing 100-150W with 3 ST 90 and 2 ST 60 in my Gseat and ive seen it peak at 250-300 tops so its not a whole lot.

Edit: Measured temps from 40-50C on the cooling grills for each driver after about 1h of helicopter flight with constant noise to simulate vibrations on and generally flying a bit erratic while tuning.

Ill consider enclosing the motors too. even just wrapping some cardboard around them takes care of a fair bit

hopefully the drivers will be much cheaper in a year or two.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back