SimEd question - merging vertices of two different GMTs

Kyle Puttifer

@Simberia
OK, now I have all of the road surfaces drivable, and all of the curb GMTs drivable as well. The only problem is, the car will sometimes sink through most curbs (material rmbl). I've checked the instances for these curbs, they are all drivable. I think the car may be falling through the tiniest of gaps between the curb and the road (EA built the track so that there is nothing underneath the curbs, to save polys). Is there any way I can merge these vertices with vertices from the road? The GMTs are separate so that may make it difficult.
If anyone wants to have a look, perhaps to identify the real problem, here is a link to the latest beta of the track:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=77ZY4PZM

If the shape of the rumblestrips is simple, you could just put new mesh that follows the general shape, set it to be drivable and no render.. Change its material properties to rmbl. Set the original rumble object material to roada (or none) and set it as non-drivable.

If the rumblestrip has more complicated shape, then i have no idea right now how to solve this problem.

There is a slight gap in this one, so the same is probably true for others:
mindthegap.jpg

I don't know if that would cause the problem, but merging the points is actually quite simple. Right click the kerb, edit.., Open, then go to Primitives and Add Object. Select the .gmt for the relevant piece of track.

When the object is loaded, you'll see the Edit Object window. Click on Explode. Now you can save the kerb and road as a single gmt, if you want to. Merging the points will now be easy, if a little time consuming. If you want to keep the kerb and road as separate gmt files, all is not lost. Right click one of the road vertices and 'memorize XYZ', then right click the nearest kerb vertex and 'edit point'. In other words, adapt the kerb to fit the road.

When the vertices have been merged, you can remove the road polygons in a variety of ways. Ctrl + click & drag > Faces > Erase is probably the easiest way.

Thanks for all the help guys, the problem was the lack of a TDF entry for "erumble". Just added that and it's all OK. I was very confused as to how a Formula One tyre could fit through a gap of a few nanometres.
Next step - remove some more NFS stuff, and set the shadowcasters to Render=False in the scene file. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back