Simbin Studios is now Sector 3 Studios

s3s_logo_final_corrected.jpg

As you may know, Simbin Studios announced this year that they are facing bankruptcy and will be restructured under a new studio to continue their efforts. The time has now come and Sector 3 Studios has been founded to take the reigns.

Sector 3 Studios will consist of most of the former Simbin staff and will continue to develop the RaceRoom Racing Experience title, with a major update coming soon to get them started.

Get involved in our RaceRoom community by checking out our dedicated R3E forum, or by posting awesome videos and photos in our R3E gallery!

WELL , i feel cheated already by the new GANG sector 3
you guys sell ADAC packs ,,but the cars need to be bought afterwards
like buying a book,but have to get missing chapters and pages

i thought you where cleaning up to repair the broken trust of RR hotlap debacle
but now you guys really are off the track with shady almost criminal merchandise tactics.
I guess i know what you mean. Normal game titles are approx £29-39 but to buy all the content (which i have) has cost me £90+. However, in the past I bought Race 07, and all it's add on packs and I didn't see everyone having a problem with that. Remember these?

Retro Pack
GTR Evolution
STCC
GT Power Expansion
Race Injection
WTCC 2010

These majority of these gave you exactly what the new ADAC pack does, a race series, cars, tracks and liveries. Now I fully understand that the base package comes with nothing but a car or two and some fantasy tracks but what did it cost you? Zilch.

I don't have a problem with this as long as the price for each one stays around £10-£15. If they expect me to pay the same as a full product every time then I'm afraid that's not going to happen as the add on packs are essentially mods for the game engine, albeit very high quality.

I guess i know what you mean. Normal game titles are approx £29-39 but to buy all the content (which i have) has cost me £90+. However, in the past I bought Race 07, and all it's add on packs and I didn't see everyone having a problem with that. Remember these?

Retro Pack
GTR Evolution
STCC
GT Power Expansion
Race Injection
WTCC 2010

These majority of these gave you exactly what the new ADAC pack does, a race series, cars, tracks and liveries. Now I fully understand that the base package comes with nothing but a car or two and some fantasy tracks but what did it cost you? Zilch.

I don't have a problem with this as long as the price for each one stays around £10-£15. If they expect me to pay the same as a full product every time then I'm afraid that's not going to happen as the add on packs are essentially mods for the game engine, albeit very high quality.
The problem is the "free" to play R3E base game, where you have to pay for everything extra, even liveries. Also, like I mentioned before, Race07 was moddable, so you were not limited to the game's original content or paid add-ons. You could also combine all of these add-ons with eachother, while you can not use any content from the DTM Experience or ADAC GT Masters in R3E. I'm not surprised SimBin had to shut down and Sector 3 will too soon if they don't change their content policies, especially with Assetto Corsa and Project CARS right around the corner.

The ' base' game means you get to try it for free so what's not to like. Then there's competitions that are also free and let you try other cars and tracks.

Issues like DTM content being locked is a licensing issue so pretty unavoidable I expect.

Personally I'd rather have a good solid base for a racer and add content I want than a racer with 200 cars and 100 tracks where I end up racing 10% of them regularly. Saying that I end up getting everything for every racer anyway..but you get my point.

Issues like DTM content being locked is a licensing issue so pretty unavoidable I expect.

as long as we still accept its normal that SIM models get rights as if they where real cars ,... YES
its rediculous that for instance Porsche ,can get the rights over sim models
so nobody can create a Porsche imitation (is fantasy,not real car)

its ok these rights are there to prevent others from building the same car
but a sim model ,,COME ON !!!

looks like the pen pushers became Sector 3 ,while the creative team was send off and fired

as long as we still accept its normal that SIM models get rights as if they where real cars ,... YES
its rediculous that for instance Porsche ,can get the rights over sim models
so nobody can create a Porsche imitation (is fantasy,not real car)

its ok these rights are there to prevent others from building the same car
but a sim model ,,COME ON !!!

looks like the pen pushers became Sector 3 ,while the creative team was send off and fired

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but it sounds like you are blaming game devs for real car manufacturers and race series owners for how licensing works.

The ' base' game means you get to try it for free so what's not to like. Then there's competitions that are also free and let you try other cars and tracks.

Personally I'd rather have a good solid base for a racer and add content I want than a racer with 200 cars and 100 tracks where I end up racing 10% of them regularly. Saying that I end up getting everything for every racer anyway..but you get my point.
That's complete nonsense considering that all the cars from the ADAC GTM pack are also in R3E and that all the tracks can also be purchased in R3E, but you have to pay twice for them if you want to use them everywhere. That's a greedy and confusing business tactic.

I also seriously doubt that the DTM license states that gamers shouldn't be allowed to drive these cars on other tracks too.

That's complete nonsense considering that all the cars from the ADAC GTM pack are also in R3E and that all the tracks can also be purchased in R3E, but you have to pay twice for them if you want to use them everywhere. That's a greedy and confusing business tactic.

I also seriously doubt that the DTM license states that gamers shouldn't be allowed to drive these cars on other tracks too.

I'm not a licensing expert but I would actually hazard a guess that the DTM license said exactly that. It may be time driven and when DTM 2014 is out perhaps some of the constraints of DTM 2013 will be lifted.

As for the ADAC/GT3 issue, this has already been covered on various threads and perhaps you missed it, but this is what Sonat had to say on the subject:-

Ok Let's see if I can clear things up a bit.

- Regarding ADAC GTM 2013 and GTR3 classes.

They are two separate classes. Same car models sure, but with various different attributes where one is based on ADAC GT Masters in real life and the other is based on GT3 cars in general. They are not the same cars, but because they are similar and of same model they are what we call, overlapping content.

Those discounts Ricky78 mentioned are what we call linked discounts. As they're overlapping content (same model with different attributes in two different car classes) you automatically get 75% off for owning one of them in one class, which is about the cost of a livery. This type of discount is not a timed sale. It's forever.

I'm not a licensing expert but I would actually hazard a guess that the DTM license said exactly that. It may be time driven and when DTM 2014 is out perhaps some of the constraints of DTM 2013 will be lifted.

As for the ADAC/GT3 issue, this has already been covered on various threads and perhaps you missed it, but this is what Sonat had to say on the subject:-
That explanation is just a lame excuse. The 3D models are what makes up most of the work, the other stuff are just some parameters. It also doesn't explain why the GTR3 class isn't just available in R3E, it also doesn't explain why the tracks are locked too.

The licensing stuff is hypothetical and I won't accept it until I see a proof for that.

That explanation is just a lame excuse. The 3D models are what makes up most of the work, the other stuff are just some parameters. It also doesn't explain why the GTR3 class isn't just available in R3E, it also doesn't explain why the tracks are locked too.

The licensing stuff is hypothetical and I won't accept it until I see a proof for that.

Well you cannot please all the people all of the time :)

Do you like the game?
Buy it.
Don't you like the game or the politic of prices?
Don't buy it, nobody is forcing you.

I bought all the expansions of Race 07, and when I bought Race On at full price I felt robbed discovering that it included STCC that I previously bought for €20.

With RRRE and the linked discounts they fixed the problem.
So +1 for Sector3. :thumbsup:

EDIT: unfortunately my last sentence isn't 100% true... :(
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/some-questions-about-the-custom-discounts.92921/#post-1812826

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.0%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing