Sim Racing with a physical handycap

Daniel R.

Premium
Hello dear Sim Racers and those who want to have a go on it,

first of all i´m not a person with physical restrictions.

I´m just a normal guy that loves simracing as much as maybe everybody that reads this right now.
It´s my favorite hobby by far and something that gives me huge pleasure everytime i´m in the (virtual) car.

What came to my mind some days ago was the question how people, that, f.e., can´t move there legs, use as hardware for simracing?

Are there any people here that have a disability that forces them to do sim racing with different technical solutions or maybe even aren´t able to do sim racing at all, since there is no appropiate hardware available for them or the hardware is just to expensive?

To be honest, i would found it challenging (from a mechanical side of view) and very exciting to create a hardware solution that enables people to do sim racing with physical restrictions.
There is so much cool technology available to really push the boundarys a bit there!

So what do you think about it?
What are your needs?

Cheers Daniel

I don't have any disabilities that prevent me from sim racing, but back in the day (about 12-13 years ago) I used to race online in 1nsane (a soft-body off-road race game) against a guy called Quickie, and he used to kick my arse week in, week out. It wasn't until about 18 months after we 'met' that I found out that he was quadriplegic and raced by using a joystick controller clamped down onto his desk which he controlled with his chin :confused:

I used to assume that he had the nickname 'Quickie' because he was so fast, but it turns out that it was the brand of wheelchair that he used :laugh:

I had utmost respect for this man, who, against the odds, still found a way to continue with the hobby that he loved, and was actually one of the fastest guys in our group. He never once mentioned his disability or used it as an excuse. I was extremely proud to have known him, raced against him, been beaten by him far too many times, and eventually brought to tears when I learned that he had passed away far to young.

He was a grumpy so-and-so at times (aren't we all?) but also a real hero of mine and proof that a disability will only be that if you allow it to be.

Upvote 0
That´s a heart warming story...

And from what i read i see that there are literally no restrictions in general. It´s just about the solution you choose and modify to your needs....or to design something tailored to your needs.

PS.: BTW, what an awesome title INSANE was back then...really enjoyed it a lot. good physics!!

Upvote 0
I know of at least three guys who sim-race and race for real too, all three having lost an arm. One is a drag racer--he uses a wheel mounted air shift of his own design, another raced formula ford, and was apparently a champion is his own SCCA region at least once, and the third raced dirt oval (just one shift there, he said). All three inspirational guys.
I try to remember these three when I start complaining about something like my pedals...or my wheel.

Upvote 0
I have all limbs but I am affected by the cerebral palsy. There's not much to say, it is what it is and I am just trying to enjoy what I can.

I'd say that what I found most difficult is software support. Rare game UI is keyboard friendly, forcing you to use mouse or God forbid, VR or Xbox controller, I wish keyboard support was a priority for game devs and tool devs. Also, with everything migrating towards online (nothing against it, it can be very fun), I wish there was more emphasis on the AI, because that way people who are physically different can still enjoy some racing, without being always 5 seconds slower a lap.

Lastly, I'd like to share couple of things people might not be aware of. Fanatec McLaren GT3 Rim has dual clutch that can be used for precise throttle/brake using fingers. Also, when I tried to get into iRacing, I discovered there's pretty big group of "handicapped" drivers there, so just saying if someone is looking for that sort of thing. Lastly, while I asked for more AI emphasis (I mostly enjoy AI racing because it is less time demanding) I would say what matters the most is to have fun. Yes, we all as men want to win, but I had pretty fun and exciting races racing against (I assume) ablebodied guys at R3E RRLeagues and a bit of iRacing. So, just race if you love it!

Upvote 0
I have all limbs but I am affected by the cerebral palsy. There's not much to say, it is what it is and I am just trying to enjoy what I can.

I'd say that what I found most difficult is software support. Rare game UI is keyboard friendly, forcing you to use mouse or God forbid, VR or Xbox controller, I wish keyboard support was a priority for game devs and tool devs. Also, with everything migrating towards online (nothing against it, it can be very fun), I wish there was more emphasis on the AI, because that way people who are physically different can still enjoy some racing, without being always 5 seconds slower a lap.

Lastly, I'd like to share couple of things people might not be aware of. Fanatec McLaren GT3 Rim has dual clutch that can be used for precise throttle/brake using fingers. Also, when I tried to get into iRacing, I discovered there's pretty big group of "handicapped" drivers there, so just saying if someone is looking for that sort of thing. Lastly, while I asked for more AI emphasis (I mostly enjoy AI racing because it is less time demanding) I would say what matters the most is to have fun. Yes, we all as men want to win, but I had pretty fun and exciting races racing against (I assume) ablebodied guys at R3E RRLeagues and a bit of iRacing. So, just race if you love it!

Hi Iron Wolf,

thanks for your post!!

I did not understand the UI stuff you mentioned completely.

So you have a problem with mouse or controller use but not with keyboard?

Second thing:
If i understood correctly you find it hard to race against real people because of beeing not fast enough?

I assume by your type of physical speciality that you are not able to use pedals properly?
So you prefer more or less racing against AI instead of real people?

Cheers Dan

Upvote 0
Feel somewhat embarrassed after reading the above, I have no feeling in my feet, meaning I never know where they are.
I use the cups that karts use to locate their feet, these hold my feet in place quite well.
Not perfect but up to now I have found no other solution.
It would be nice to be rich, could pay someone to hold my ankles in place for me.:laugh::laugh:

Upvote 0
Feel somewhat embarrassed after reading the above, I have no feeling in my feet, meaning I never know where they are.
I use the cups that karts use to locate their feet, these hold my feet in place quite well.
Not perfect but up to now I have found no other solution.
It would be nice to be rich, could pay someone to hold my ankles in place for me.:laugh::laugh:

Hi Kek,
so you basically put pressure on the pedals with your leg overall instead of mainly through your ankles?

Upvote 0
Hi Kek,
so you basically put pressure on the pedals with your leg overall instead of mainly through your ankles?

Have you ever thought about how a solution for you (and of course others)could look like?
Like not using your legs at all for accelerate, brake and clutch? Doing all with your hands/arms solely?

Upvote 0
Hi Iron Wolf,

thanks for your post!!

I did not understand the UI stuff you mentioned completely.

So you have a problem with mouse or controller use but not with keyboard?

Second thing:
If i understood correctly you find it hard to race against real people because of beeing not fast enough?

I assume by your type of physical speciality that you are not able to use pedals properly?
So you prefer more or less racing against AI instead of real people?

Cheers Dan
Hi Dan,

Yes, keyboard is the easiest way of controlling UI or settings for me. Because my movements are imprecise and a bit involuntary, I often do things I do not want to do with mouse or other controllers. Xbox one is too small to use, difficult to use thumbs. With mouse I miss things or drag them around - keyboard is limited - button press equals precise action, which is easier. I use keyboard shortcuts a lot and it is frustrating when there are none.

I wouldn't say I have difficulty controlling pedals, I drive IRL for example. But it is difficult to do things fast. So for example how real race drivers pulse the brakes or bleep - that's something I won't be able to do, too fast. Same applies to fast, precise wheel corrections.

The primary reason I prefer AI is lack of time, which has nothing to do with my health. I am also grumpy pedantic person, I like strict rules, safety car, rain, sensitive unforgiving damage and many online events turn that off. But yes, sometimes it is also more enjoyable to adjust AI to your physical ability and race more equal, so AI quality is important.

Cheers, and happy racing!

Upvote 0
Still feel embarrassed, I really do not have a problem compared with others here, but thought it
may be of interest to anyone in a similar situation.
I have thought about hand controls, but obviously i want to mimic driving as in the real world.
my brain says push throttle down, my ankle responds, obviously by much practice, I just do
not feel anything.
Trail braking is really my biggest problem, also cannot get that delicate touch from the accelerator, trying to find a damper to put on the accelerator pedal, in an attempt to damp out unwanted movements. ( HE pro's ). And I don't mean this type of movement :poop:
:laugh::laugh:

Upvote 0
Hi Dan,

Yes, keyboard is the easiest way of controlling UI or settings for me. Because my movements are imprecise and a bit involuntary, I often do things I do not want to do with mouse or other controllers. Xbox one is too small to use, difficult to use thumbs. With mouse I miss things or drag them around - keyboard is limited - button press equals precise action, which is easier. I use keyboard shortcuts a lot and it is frustrating when there are none.

I wouldn't say I have difficulty controlling pedals, I drive IRL for example. But it is difficult to do things fast. So for example how real race drivers pulse the brakes or bleep - that's something I won't be able to do, too fast. Same applies to fast, precise wheel corrections.

The primary reason I prefer AI is lack of time, which has nothing to do with my health. I am also grumpy pedantic person, I like strict rules, safety car, rain, sensitive unforgiving damage and many online events turn that off. But yes, sometimes it is also more enjoyable to adjust AI to your physical ability and race more equal, so AI quality is important.

Cheers, and happy racing!

Ok Wolf, understood.

Well, tail braking is something that, in my oppinion, gives you the last little step in proper control of the car during cornering. Even for me, without physical restrictions, it´s something i´m still working on. I can do it, but it means also lot´s of practice to do it properly.
Blipping normally can be done automatically as far as i know (some games have the option). In the early days, a lot of years ago, i always blipped when shifting down. Nowadays i don´t do it that often because a lot of cars already have blipping available by nature. Like modern sequential shifted cars. They do the blip for you also in real life.
Blipping to me is only really essential in h-pattern shifted cars to keep the car stable on turn in and mid corner.

Can i ask what type of pedals you use?

Concerning fast inputs, i think if you drive smooth you don´t necessarely need fast inputs. If you watch onboard videos of fast people in real life it´s sometimes impressive how less active they are with their steering wheel.
But then manipulating the movement of the car in corner is also done by tail braking. Damn it!

One thing that came to my mind when i understood your UI problem is a programm called "voice attack" available on steam.
In contrast to it´s name it is not only able to activate buttons etc. by voice but also to create makros (kind of) that then do a complicated arrangement of inputs with one button/key pressed.
To give you an idea, in rfactor2 there is no possibility for a single button to flash the lights.
With voice atack i can say "if i push this button, it activates the, L-key, to switch the headlights on and off for let´s say 5 times".
I´ll will have a look if there is a possibility to also use buttons to control the direction of a mouse axis, if you know what the idea behind is ;-). So let´s say, "if i push this button mouse moves 1mm in horizontal direction.
Nevertheless i think this could also be done with a arduino type of controller. But that´s a different story, so i don´t want to dive into this yet.

Still feel embarrassed, I really do not have a problem compared with others here, but thought it
may be of interest to anyone in a similar situation.
I have thought about hand controls, but obviously i want to mimic driving as in the real world.
my brain says push throttle down, my ankle responds, obviously by much practice, I just do
not feel anything.
Trail braking is really my biggest problem, also cannot get that delicate touch from the accelerator, trying to find a damper to put on the accelerator pedal, in an attempt to damp out unwanted movements. ( HE pro's ). And I don't mean this type of movement :poop:
:laugh::laugh:

Honestly there is nothing to be embarassed about!!
I have nothing but respect for you guys!!!
If someone should be embarassed than it should be me. I have the easier (sim racing) life for sure!
Concerning "delicate touch from the accelerator":
Might it be possible to implement a damping on the software side of things?
I built my own pedals and electronics. On the electronics side it should be relatively easy as far as i´m concerned.
It´s something worth a try.

There is one thing in my head i wanna try in my mancave.
Just to have a go on it and look how it works/feels.
Some time ago i watched a video of Alessandro Zanardi onboard in a BMW M8 GTE.
In the car following solution has been implemented.

Throttle: analog paddle on the left side of the steering wheel
Shift up: Paddle on the right side of the steering wheel
Brake: Lever on the right side similar to a e-brake but pushed instead of pulled.
Shift down: Button on top of brake-lever.
Clutch (if needed): Second e-brake lever besides the one for brakes

As i said i wanna try it since i have nearly everything here to do so. Maybe put a video up afterwards to show the details.

I think, as far as i can, that this should be a proper solution for people with problems with their legs.
...even though it would mean "hand control", but for some it would advance the experience and capabilities to use before mentioned techniques like tail braking.
What do you think?

Cheers Daniel

Upvote 0
I have a set of brake and throttle from HE engineering, ( heusinkveld ) Pro model. I am thinking ( not cheap ) of buying just a throttle pedal from his Ultimate range which has a damper.
looks easy but is not so easy to implement on my Pro throttle pedal. I do not have access to any engineering facilities and anyway finding a damper with all the correct properties is not so easy either.
If I am in an H shift car I still use my paddle shifts, but as you have said, just blip where an when it is necessary around the circuit.
It’s all good practice for when I drive my road car,
which is obviously auto also.
It’s when my brain say apply some throttle gently I just do not have the control anymore to apply it in a judged manor, my foot just wack’s in a load of input, cause me to then have to deal with oversteer.
For some reason I am assuming the damper will just slow down any sudden ( not intended ) inputs of the throttle.

Your idea of an electronic damper is a good one, it needs to be able to judge the difference between a fast input intended to a fast input not intended. I can do this physically, by just over doing the input to get it to react quickly.

When dealing with these sorts of problems that are outside of the normal, it can be quite tricky to balance all the parameters.

Thank you for your input on this, I think this article has some real usefulness, not my input but hopefully many people’s input to try and solve some of the problems faced by some or all.

I was on a forum about someone investing in a new rig, out of interest he posted some of his ideas, also a lot of people started to throw some ideas into the article.

Really Learnt a lot from this and due to this I am implementing some of the ideas.

:)

Upvote 0
I am on CSP V3.
Voice control is also tricky because CP also affects my speech.

I did not mean that you control something with your voice.
I said that because the name "voice attack" indicates working with your voice solely.

You can do that, yes. i use it for example for a flightsimulator called DCS. There the startup procedure of a plane is quite complex (ignition, heat up engines bla bla bla). so i activate with voice this startup sequence, which is a sequence of keys. If i remember correctly you record your voice (sound) so you could basically also record a fart and use it to start the sequence LOL

What i originally meant in my post is controlling the mouse cursor with keyboard keys instead of voice.

Upvote 0
I have a set of brake and throttle from HE engineering, ( heusinkveld ) Pro model. I am thinking ( not cheap ) of buying just a throttle pedal from his Ultimate range which has a damper.
looks easy but is not so easy to implement on my Pro throttle pedal. I do not have access to any engineering facilities and anyway finding a damper with all the correct properties is not so easy either.
If I am in an H shift car I still use my paddle shifts, but as you have said, just blip where an when it is necessary around the circuit.
It’s all good practice for when I drive my road car,
which is obviously auto also.
It’s when my brain say apply some throttle gently I just do not have the control anymore to apply it in a judged manor, my foot just wack’s in a load of input, cause me to then have to deal with oversteer.
For some reason I am assuming the damper will just slow down any sudden ( not intended ) inputs of the throttle.

Your idea of an electronic damper is a good one, it needs to be able to judge the difference between a fast input intended to a fast input not intended. I can do this physically, by just over doing the input to get it to react quickly.

When dealing with these sorts of problems that are outside of the normal, it can be quite tricky to balance all the parameters.

Thank you for your input on this, I think this article has some real usefulness, not my input but hopefully many people’s input to try and solve some of the problems faced by some or all.

I was on a forum about someone investing in a new rig, out of interest he posted some of his ideas, also a lot of people started to throw some ideas into the article.

Really Learnt a lot from this and due to this I am implementing some of the ideas.

:)

If i remember correctly the HE throttle pedal also works with a loadcell. In this case it would be also possible dampen the values with a microcontroller (like arduino) which is located between pedal and HE electronics board.
Theoretically!

Upvote 0

There is always a way to solve things. It´s just somebody needed to try/do it.
I think this guy was also featured ones in a episode of "The Grand Tour". Pretty impressive.
Anyway, would also be no technical problem to recreate that solution in a simulator.

What i was wondering is, if somebody knows, is there a product on the market that features a loadcell-brake-paddle on the steering wheel?
I´m currently, just to try, implementing one on one of my wheels. Together with two analouge axis for throttle and clutch and some buttons.

The overall question is, why should muscle-memory in your foot not also work with your fingers ;-) !?

Second concept that i wanna recreate on my rig is the concept Zanardi had running in his M8 GTE.

I´ll put up a video on Youtube of my solution when i´m finished, to show what i mean and how it works in detail.

@Kek700 i do not own a Heusinkvelt pedal set, but i will try the damening option with my custom pedal set in the future for proof of concept. Theoretically, with minor adjustements, that might also work on your HE´s.

Cheers Dan

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I have cerebral palsy on my left side making it much weaker than my right. Hyperspasticity in both my legs as well. Sim racing has allowed me to really improve my real life driving abilities such as operating a clutch for example. I'm still perfecting my technique as always but it has been very beneficial!

Hi cirris, thanks for your post!
So you have a similar handicap as @The Iron Wolf , right?
It´s really cool to hear that simracing gives you a benefit for real life. I think it´s hugely underrated what benefits simracing has for everyone. But that´s a different topic.
From your handicap and what you wrote i assume that you use consumer pedals of some sort not loadcell pedals?
Since you wrote your left side is weak.
With hyperspasticity you mean also kind of uncontrolled movement as The Iron Wolf?
So difficulty with sensible input for tail braking or throttle?

Cheers Dan

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%