Sim Racing Machines

Simon is fantastic and does really good work. You won't be disappointed. If you ever need any help with it he's always been in touch with me super fast and more than willing to lend a hand. Highly satisfied with my purchase.

Upvote 0
To echo @anton_Chez I had an issue last week whereby my wheel-mounted button box on one of my wheels would intermittently activate without any input from me. Not great, especially in VR, when the mapped 're-centre' button launched itself as I was looking in to an apex! :D

What was strange however is that I have a second wheel with the exact same button box but the issue couldn't be replicated.

So I put the problem down to my button box but dropped Simon a line on the off chance anyway, in case he'd heard about such an issue and whether it was in some way related to the USB conversion kit, the forces going through my OSW or EMI issues, (despite grounding), albeit I've never experienced the latter.

He got back to me pretty much immediately, shared a few ideas as to the possible cause and sent me a replacement version of his latest, base-side conversion kit, which arrived the next day so that I could test if the problem continued. I stress tested the hell out of it over the weekend and all was good.:thumbsup:

Firstly, what brilliant service and communication from Simon and not for the first time. Secondly, he was honest enough to share what he thought might be the cause even though it could be his own product at fault. And remember I was pretty convinced it was the button box and I would have certainly been 'none-the-wiser' had he politely told me he couldn't help and I would have left it at that.

If that doesn't re-assure you completely about becoming a customer of SRM then nothing will. :)

Upvote 0
I sent my BMW rim into Fanatec to be tested as the exact thing was happening to me, but only on the rim specifically. I was that certain it was the rim. I did what Steve did and even though I was certain I'd updated the firmware for the kit, Simon suggested I did it again with the latest one anyway. So I did, and to this day I've ran the BMW rim without a single hitch.

Mind you, Monday night I was racing league race and my McLaren rim just dropped out completely mid race, No gears, no buttons, nothing. First time that's happened to that rim and I haven't been back in the seat since. I'll have to test before tomorrow nights race. I don't want that happening again. It might have just been a one off, I might have had a fault with the USB hub it was connected to, who knows. I reconnected the rim, after pulling over and exiting the race, mind you, and everything came back to life. Didn't even reconnect a USB cable, just pulled the rim off the quick release and reattach.

Point is, Simon is a small operation and the time and effort he gives you is second to none. Others should take note. I certainly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
The adapter came on Thursday and...well it could have gone better but not because of the adapter. The solder job on the connector was pretty much all cold joints so when I split the wheel the connector pretty much just fell off the board. Rather than mess with re-soldering it I just cut the plug off and soldered the wires to the board. Works like a treat!! As I was working on it I was thinking I had some problems now and again with buttons not responding, could have been related to the cold solder joints. The only problem I am having still is the rotary encoder for the funky switch is reading intermittently but its old and may be wearing out.

Upvote 0
I could see 1 or maybe 2 cold joints but all 4 ? Dang, Whom ever at SRM obviously wasn't having a good morning. Lol, Unlikely the cold joints have anything to do with the Buttons not working.

And for what its worth, the Funky switch Encoder signals are super sketchy and noisy as far as the PCB's are concerned....so Not sure whats up with that.

Upvote 0
I could see 1 or maybe 2 cold joints but all 4 ? Dang, Whom ever at SRM obviously wasn't having a good morning. Lol, Unlikely the cold joints have anything to do with the Buttons not working.

And for what its worth, the Funky switch Encoder signals are super sketchy and noisy as far as the PCB's are concerned....so Not sure whats up with that.

The problem was with the Fanatec plug on the board inside the wheel, the SRM board was perfect.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 375 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing