Sim racing effects on your normal driving?

Years ago I recall playing the first Gran Turismo, sitting in a darkened room for hours and driving at 200+ mph on the test track. Then I jumped into my old Saab 900 T16S and headed into work on a quiet country road. The normally quick Saab didn't seem to be pulling well at all. It felt slow. I got on to a long straight and it didn't seem to be going more than 50mph. I looked down at the Speedo - it showed 130mph! My brain had been frazzled by the high speed of the game and reality seemed a lot slower.

On the plus side, GT also taught me loads about handling of FWD\RWD or 4WD.

I did use a lot of racing games for learning tracks when I used to do a lot of track days. I also did that for the Nurburgring. What I actually found was although the games helped a little to learn the tracks - driving the tracks made you a LOT better at the games. Especially the 'Ring. (It's a rather costly way of getting good at video games though. )

I recently got an Ariel Atom and I've started driving the one in Project Cars to try and learn a bit about it. Seems to be working as it's no longer quite as terrifying as it was and I haven't crashed it (yet).

Attachments

• AtomSmall.jpg
    AtomSmall.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 59

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 303 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%