Sim Lab P1 Review and build

Just wanted to share my review and build of the Sim Lab P1. Don't mind the Super Street game :speechless:

4VjMnYA.jpg

pg2bkTU.jpg

oAWfSsf.jpg

IB2ez52.jpg

jdEwv7k.jpg

Coming all the way from the Netherlands, the P1 rig arrived in 3 nicely packaged boxes. The system lacked an instruction manual and the only thing I could find from their website was the schematics sheet which had the breakdown of all the parts. Despite the lack of detailed instructions, I found that it was nice to have their website open at times to reference during assembly. Before building this rig, I'd never worked with 80/20 profiles before. In addition, I planned to install Fanatec ClubSport V2.5 Wheels, pedals, shifter, and handbrake.

IJKVYzZ.jpg

Once all of the parts were laid out and organized, it was time to begin the assembly of the Sim Lab P1 rig. Here you can see the base of the P1 frame and seat support is bolted together.

VPAEJiZ.jpg

aajmSyg.jpg

CNnyRs8.jpg

VpEWeEz.jpg

If someone has this can you please do me a favor and measure the profile length of the side.

I just received mine as the schematics show 1400mm and mine are 1350mm plus some other weird stuff that I am emailing the Sim Lab team about (like the HE handbrake and Shifter mounts are not as pictured on the site)

Brad

Upvote 0
I have the P1 and the integrated monitor mount. All went together very well but I am having some problems getting the triple monitors to line up. The left and middle line up perfectly. The middle and right don't with the right hand monitor being 7 or 8mm higher where it meets middle monitor. I have tried everything I can thinkl of to rectify but just cant get it 100%.

Could this be the VESA mount supplied or possible the monitor itself as I cant see any issue with the monitor mount or its hardware?

Upvote 0
I have issue with my freestanding triple mount too, the bezels don't align perfectly horizontally (right hand monitor is higher than the middle)....I've not yet checked everything is perfectly level, but the way the cross beam and side beams connect together, I don't understand how I could have induced that sort of mis-match....I too wondered if VESA mount drill holes are not always 100% perfect....

Upvote 0
Thanks mine are 1350mm and I am missing the keyboard and mouse trays, this is after waiting two months for the order.I ordered this rig on Nov 9th and received it Jan 2nd. I have requested new base pieces and the missing items however I guess I have to wait another 48hours for a response.

I understand running a business is tough and demand is high however I am honestly fed up with the lack of service and lack of response from SimLab.

Brad

Upvote 0
I have issue with my freestanding triple mount too, the bezels don't align perfectly horizontally (right hand monitor is higher than the middle)....I've not yet checked everything is perfectly level, but the way the cross beam and side beams connect together, I don't understand how I could have induced that sort of mis-match....I too wondered if VESA mount drill holes are not always 100% perfect....

Exact issue I have. Would be great if someone could offer some advice on this. Was thinking maybe it's the actual 90 degree bend of the vessel mount being slightly off. As the holes look to be in same area on each vesa plate .

Upvote 0
Exact issue I have. Would be great if someone could offer some advice on this. Was thinking maybe it's the actual 90 degree bend of the vessel mount being slightly off. As the holes look to be in same area on each vesa plate .

I suspect you're right, having perfect control of that bend position/radius is pretty tough, I don't think they're exactly precision. I think I'll resolve it by shims under the portion of the vesa mount that bolts to the profile

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Thanks mine are 1350mm and I am missing the keyboard and mouse trays, this is after waiting two months for the order.I ordered this rig on Nov 9th and received it Jan 2nd. I have requested new base pieces and the missing items however I guess I have to wait another 48hours for a response.

I understand running a business is tough and demand is high however I am honestly fed up with the lack of service and lack of response from SimLab.

Brad
I suspect you would need to wait a little longer than 48 hours as they are currently closed for holiday vacation, back 3rd week of January.
https://sim-lab.eu/product/p1-chassis/

Upvote 0
Guys we have had these sorts of issues with Simlab way back when I ordered my GT1 in April. I would have hoped they'd have sorted out their packing and shipping issues both in the time frame and the accuracy but it doesn't look that way. I can say that the contact and attempts to fix the problems were very good and dealing with Darko over there was pretty painless but the whole experience needs to be a little refined from what I'm seeing. They have great cockpits and good after sale service from what I have seen but they just need to polish the production and packing line. Depending on where you are in the world shipping can be a little longer obviously but from my own experience the physical delivery of the package was maybe 20% of the total time from order to receipt.

Upvote 0
@ceso_fd thanks for taking the time to post your build. I've been looking at this kit for a while, I appeciatap it might be difficult to guage, but would the setup comfortably adjust to someone over 6ft tall?

I am 6'1" and there is plenty of room left for adjustments for taller people. Great system. Instruction was easy to read for me even tough I was working 1st time with 80/20. Although it is missing part on screen mount installation and setup.

What I found very useful during installation was this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/5-X-24-Pen...iever-Extendable/23016852174?iid=142968493594

It comes immensely helpful when ever you push the t-nut too deep into the profile and you cannot get it because it is obstructed by other profile or mounting panel :) or just for easy and precise placing of t-nuts or if the t-nut has dislodged itself a bit during screwing in of the screw into it.

Sim-lab should include the telescopic magnet like this as standard with the kit especially taking in account its low price :)

Good luck

Upvote 0
The T-nuts are a pain in the ass aren't they!? The design and concept is awesome, letting you put them wherever without disassembling anything, I really appreciate that. But I can't tell you how much time I've lost just getting them in the right spot sitting correctly or, even worse, taking the damn things out!

Upvote 0
The T-nuts are a pain in the ass aren't they!? The design and concept is awesome, letting you put them wherever without disassembling anything, I really appreciate that. But I can't tell you how much time I've lost just getting them in the right spot sitting correctly or, even worse, taking the damn things out!

Haha, yeah they are joy, aren't they? :D

I guess sometimes you can do what Barry in SRG suggests to just catch the t-nut with the bolt on the plate you are about to mount to profile and then slide whole assembly to the desired location and then tighten. I used it once or twice but I found it way more fiddly then my telescopic magnet and screwdriver and you do not risk marring / scratching of the "pristine" alu profiles ;)

I usually use alen screwdriver to drive the t-nut to desired location quickly and then do final adjustments with same alen or magnet depending on situation. Also what helps is to think how many t-nuts you need and put all of them at once in one big group and then use them as you go and as you add different mounts etc. Much easier then trying to insert them directly in the spot instead of guiding them starting from the edge. At least that was my experience.

I loved lego technics when I was a boy. 80/20 is lego for big boys :). I could build and build and then build some more :)

Cheers

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Any P1 owners with HE Handbrake and Fanatec SQ shifter?
How do you mount them, trying to figure out what extra accessories I would need. Pictures would be super helpful?
Also, does Mige fit on wheel deck mount?

Upvote 0
How do you mount them, trying to figure out what extra accessories I would need. Pictures would be super helpful?

If you are talking about wheel deck as in front mount, then yes the front mount from SimLab supports both small and large Mige motors. The other option, the regular deck mount supports them as well of course plus others. I'm pretty sure I have pics of my Fanatec H pattern and HE handbrake in my build log here.

Upvote 0
I got an email overnight saying my P1 has shipped. UPS says it will be here on tuesday. Happy with anything that gets to New Zealand in four days. I am hoping that it is all of the correct length, although I doubt that being 1350 instead of 1400 would change too much I did think 1400 would just do it for how I was going to set it up. 6'2"

Upvote 0
My Clubsport shifter and handbrake are mounted on a single cantilevered arm that's mounted to the OUTSIDE of the wheel deck upright.
The shifter is mounted INSIDE, the handbrake OUTSIDE. Both feel in a great position.
You do NOT need the vertical support for this cantilevered arm. It's going nowhere. Having the arm cantilevered gives more height/reach options too.

iJXKhPW.jpg

Before the handbrake was mounted:

hq3oE52.jpg

vOx9ra5.jpg

With CS handbrake, not sure how your HE handbrake would mount:

awNk0hC.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Thanks @Mascot
BTW, you have shifter and handbrake on the wrong side, did you know that? :p

Upvote 0