Sim-Lab not all good as it looks

I want to share my own experience with Sim-Lab since everybody is praising this company for the quality of their products and the committed customer service.

The product.

I came from a US 80/20 supplier, 4play racing, with a solid rig that works perfectly with the simsteering wheel, or AFv2 for the matter, a super adjustable pedal set and the right room for the V3 motion seat from NLR. Since neither company was considering providing a custom front mount, I decided to sell it and finally go for the trendsetter: the P1-X.

When I made the order online (over $1k without monitor stand), I made clear I did not have a standard pedal, but a Tilton set and they answered right away I only needed to drill the four holes myself and everything will go into the right place.

I found out it was far from true and after I started mounting the rig, more issues came along that are not still solved despite the promises they made already months ago. They simply do not follow up, like any other ghost company in nowhere internet land.

1 - If you are tall enough and your seat allows for a low center of gravity like the V3 – using Sim Lab brackets - the pedal plate needs to go below the top of the main frame. Unfortunately, this option is not viable because the screws are not countersunk and get in the way with the side profiles. You can only mount the pedal set on top of the frame. This is to me no sense because they made a bracket for the V3 and they should know it is not ergonomic with any set of pedals if you are taller than 6’2” with a GT style as it should be for this item.

2 – the promise of making four holes was just a lie. I had to build myself a platform to adapt the Tilton to the PX-1 and use the original design in a different way to find enough parts to mount the pedals.

3 – the design of the aluminum floor is just no sense. The edges are rounded and due to the reduced size of the pedal platform they do not fit in the profiles even if you are using the brackets. Pure simple bad design and probably the reason why they do not post pictures of how to install it as some requested already. Completely waste of money there.

4 – they did not supply the standard feet, but I did not care because I had a set myself. Can’t imagine the frustration for someone that did not have those and could not use the rig right after spending half a day of mounting it. But this may happen and is not a deal beaker at all. In fact they provide so much extra hardware I can open a store (read, they did not have a check list for all the parts as they have now).

5 – the brackets for the motion V3 are too narrow to hold it in place and I need to use additional brackets to lock the seat. Sim-lab acknowledged the issue and they promised to send me the new version that overlaps the profile correctly.

6 – much more disappointment is the way the side mount is designed. Only 4 short screws are holding the whole weight of the profiles, the deck mount and the wheel on each side. After had to dismount the rig couple of times and slide it back and forth to find the right seating position, they are not holding into the frame and now there is a half an inch free movement when driving. Asked for a way to replace those screws since are EU specs, but again no answer and cannot find replacement in the States, if any, without knowing the particular thread. This is unacceptable.

7 – I’m 6’3” and for a GT setup the lateral profiles are simply too short. This flaw is confirmed by Will in his review on YT (Boosted Media). He is 1 inch shorter and in my case the front mount barely fits (read sits outside the side profiles).

The Customer Service

Well, after dozen of emails, last communication two weeks ago was "we should have the parts available at any moment", which would imply they will ship whatever I need to finally have my rig as designed and functional. Never heard from them anymore, so I guess it's all on me and I have to spend the extra $ to find options locally, which includes custom metal plates!

You might believe I am just a negative person and I am here out of frustration because I did not get what I paid for after three months and all promises from the company’s owner, whom actually was not willing to help to begin with.

Indeed, I am, but there are other companies I can praise for the quality of their products and even more for their outstanding customer service. From my own experience I can name Next Level Motion, Ricmotech, OpenSimRig and 4Play Racing. They always responded in a timely fashion and help me out going even the extra mile if necessary to make it happen.

In this case, I am not even close to what I paid for.

Real intention is to alert prospects, that is not all as good as it looks, so they can make their own decision based on real users’ feedback.

Happy to provide documentation.

It's the attitude of the company what you have to look at.

I come back here in the good spirit to announce they finally decided to ship, but guess what, they aren't.

Human beings are not objective and we paint everything we see based on our current mood and feelings. You are very frustrated and reading attitude into their responses because of your attitude. I didn't see any attitude in their email responses. What you are perceiving is the negativity you are projecting on people who are just trying to do their job.

They never said they they were not going to ship you the parts. They said they were delayed.

There is a big difference between being backlogged and crazy busy making a mistake thinking they had the part to ship and a few hours later later updating that saying they were wrong and it would be another 2-3 weeks.

Sorry about the situation, but this is life and things go wrong.

Try to switch positions for just one minute.......

Hundreds of emails are coming in every day from impatient people who have ordered and can't wait to get their build starting. Hundreds of additional emails are coming in to make small order modifications adding and removing things. Additional emails are coming because of missing parts and assembly issues after the order was delivered. Add to that all the Q&A sessions that go back and forth about mounting every control known to mankind.

The company has recently expanded and is trying to hire new people, but new people take time to train and that costs even more time in the short term.

Meanwhile people on social media are complaining about waiting for their orders, complaining about the backlog, about email not being responded to quickly enough and asking for alternatives because they just can't wait and want something NOW!

They are a victim of their own success and are trying desperately to tread water right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mate, I wish all of you guys were my customers instead of the ones I actually have in real life.

Would make running my business a hell of a lot less suicidal, that's for sure.

It's amazing how many people will run to the rescue of a company that's sole objective is to take your money.

Upvote 0
Mate, I wish all of you guys were my customers instead of the ones I actually have in real life.

It's amazing how many people will run to the rescue of a company that's sole objective is to take your money.
If your company's sole objective is to take your customers' money I'm not surprised you are having trouble with them. ;-)

Upvote 0

I've been self employed for 12 years and I have a very happy customer base, but I am a contractor or hired gun so to speak. I love the challenge of doing something that I've been told is impossible or taking over failed projects from large consulting firms and turning them around, but I charge a pretty healthy hourly rate. I'm not in this for applause! I want to get paid. All businesses do.

I frequently have to understand the inner workings of a company pretty well and all companies have things in common. Companies are either growing or dying. Strong growth is a VERY hard problem to manage. Witness Heusinkveld and their Sprint Pedals that have been flying off the shelves for about 18 months now. They have repeatedly stated they are adding new employees and also moved to a larger facility. Sim-Lab is doing the exact same thing. They both have great products and are doing their best to keep up with demand.

I can emphatically say that these are the "good guys" out there.

I have met some "bad guys" and companies and I won't work with them. There are some real shits out there especially in my line of work who just try to milk a customer which I consider short sighted and stupid. I believe in Karma and the long game. I always do what is in the best interests of my customer even if it means less work for me short term. That tends to win long working relationships and I've a number of customers I've been doing work with for nearly a decade.

I would put HE and Sim-Labs in a similar category. HE develops excellent products and supports them well, but is backlogged. Sim-Labs likewise is continuing to develop excellent products, supports them well, but is backlogged. Have you seen their new F1 cockpit and reclined seat? Companies like these are helping to improve the products in the sim racing community. I don't see either of them as Fleecing the community.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 217114

@RCHeliguy Hope HE and Simlab do not grow too big, tho. It might be now that there's lot of demand, but after Covid the demand will be normalized.. and there they sit with a too big warehouse, etc. Too many people hired, too many light/gas/electricity-costs, etc.

We customers need to be patient and let them clear out the backlog till everything will be normal again. I got lucky one week ago or so that I accidentally clicked on HE website while it as 3 AM or so, so I ordered the Sprints right away when I saw: 'In Stock' with big green letters. Now awaiting my 5mm-plate,because with HE's the normal plate flexes a bit (Pre-2020 GT1-Evo)

Anyway HE en Simlab are my Favorited companies. I hope they will do good and not go bankrupt or so. There was a company named Mardo Media. They sold all kind of simracing stuff. Nice guys. Nice showroom in Almere. I even had the luck to try out a Bodnar. (3000+ euro). However, they grew too big and too fast and went bankrupt one year ago or so.

Fanatec is facing really difficulties now.Their forum is a mess at the moment. So many complaints.

Upvote 0
If your company's sole objective is to take your customers' money I'm not surprised you are having trouble with them. ;-)

Kindly explain to me how anybody on this Earth wakes up every morning and goes to do something without the incentive of being paid for their time / efforts. I aim to do the best I possibly can for my customers in all ways, and often lose to make them happy. Would I still do the same if there was not an offer for something in return?

No.

I also did no imply that I have trouble with my customers. Simply that they do not line up on internet forums defending my honour.

There is a difference.

Upvote 0
I also did no imply that I have trouble with my customers. Simply that they do not line up on internet forums defending my honour.

I think you tend to see this behavior more for smaller companies supporting hobbies especially niche hobbies or activities that people are passionate about.

I saw this in the RC Helicopter forums repeatedly. This is actual respect for what a company is doing and appreciation that they are creating good things for the hobby.

You will find a LOT more negativity on the Internet and people seem to like to get together to join in trashing people or a companies pretty regularly, so I understand how this is very rare when you look at the sea of negativity out there, but it definitely exists in small pockets.

Since you've brought this up, I have to ask, How was your honor soiled on the Internet such that you noticed people were not defending you?

Upvote 0
Kindly explain to me how anybody on this Earth wakes up every morning and goes to do something without the incentive of being paid for their time / efforts. I aim to do the best I possibly can for my customers in all ways, and often lose to make them happy. Would I still do the same if there was not an offer for something in return?

No.

There is a difference.

Emm - nobody is suggesting that businesses don't need to make a profit.

You did imply that you have trouble with your customers by commenting that you if you had a different cohort of customers your work life would be better. I knew that this comment was made in jest. My reply was also made in jest, although I stand by what I said.

As you know, there is more to running a successful business than taking customers money. Good companies ensure that they do this long term by continuing to grow their customer base and ensuring they meet the expectations of those customers.

Not sure why all of a sudden you are getting so defensive.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years