Sim-Lab not all good as it looks

I want to share my own experience with Sim-Lab since everybody is praising this company for the quality of their products and the committed customer service.

The product.

I came from a US 80/20 supplier, 4play racing, with a solid rig that works perfectly with the simsteering wheel, or AFv2 for the matter, a super adjustable pedal set and the right room for the V3 motion seat from NLR. Since neither company was considering providing a custom front mount, I decided to sell it and finally go for the trendsetter: the P1-X.

When I made the order online (over $1k without monitor stand), I made clear I did not have a standard pedal, but a Tilton set and they answered right away I only needed to drill the four holes myself and everything will go into the right place.

I found out it was far from true and after I started mounting the rig, more issues came along that are not still solved despite the promises they made already months ago. They simply do not follow up, like any other ghost company in nowhere internet land.

1 - If you are tall enough and your seat allows for a low center of gravity like the V3 – using Sim Lab brackets - the pedal plate needs to go below the top of the main frame. Unfortunately, this option is not viable because the screws are not countersunk and get in the way with the side profiles. You can only mount the pedal set on top of the frame. This is to me no sense because they made a bracket for the V3 and they should know it is not ergonomic with any set of pedals if you are taller than 6’2” with a GT style as it should be for this item.

2 – the promise of making four holes was just a lie. I had to build myself a platform to adapt the Tilton to the PX-1 and use the original design in a different way to find enough parts to mount the pedals.

3 – the design of the aluminum floor is just no sense. The edges are rounded and due to the reduced size of the pedal platform they do not fit in the profiles even if you are using the brackets. Pure simple bad design and probably the reason why they do not post pictures of how to install it as some requested already. Completely waste of money there.

4 – they did not supply the standard feet, but I did not care because I had a set myself. Can’t imagine the frustration for someone that did not have those and could not use the rig right after spending half a day of mounting it. But this may happen and is not a deal beaker at all. In fact they provide so much extra hardware I can open a store (read, they did not have a check list for all the parts as they have now).

5 – the brackets for the motion V3 are too narrow to hold it in place and I need to use additional brackets to lock the seat. Sim-lab acknowledged the issue and they promised to send me the new version that overlaps the profile correctly.

6 – much more disappointment is the way the side mount is designed. Only 4 short screws are holding the whole weight of the profiles, the deck mount and the wheel on each side. After had to dismount the rig couple of times and slide it back and forth to find the right seating position, they are not holding into the frame and now there is a half an inch free movement when driving. Asked for a way to replace those screws since are EU specs, but again no answer and cannot find replacement in the States, if any, without knowing the particular thread. This is unacceptable.

7 – I’m 6’3” and for a GT setup the lateral profiles are simply too short. This flaw is confirmed by Will in his review on YT (Boosted Media). He is 1 inch shorter and in my case the front mount barely fits (read sits outside the side profiles).

The Customer Service

Well, after dozen of emails, last communication two weeks ago was "we should have the parts available at any moment", which would imply they will ship whatever I need to finally have my rig as designed and functional. Never heard from them anymore, so I guess it's all on me and I have to spend the extra $ to find options locally, which includes custom metal plates!

You might believe I am just a negative person and I am here out of frustration because I did not get what I paid for after three months and all promises from the company’s owner, whom actually was not willing to help to begin with.

Indeed, I am, but there are other companies I can praise for the quality of their products and even more for their outstanding customer service. From my own experience I can name Next Level Motion, Ricmotech, OpenSimRig and 4Play Racing. They always responded in a timely fashion and help me out going even the extra mile if necessary to make it happen.

In this case, I am not even close to what I paid for.

Real intention is to alert prospects, that is not all as good as it looks, so they can make their own decision based on real users’ feedback.

Happy to provide documentation.

Thanks a lot for the info @NeoGrotesk ! Will order now.

@d69morpwr thanks for the empathy. I definitely agree with you. Unfortunately, after 3 months of back and forth, I am giving up.
Good news I will finally get it done with no further delay.

No questions the P1 is the best looking 8020 out there.

You should be able to find those bolts right on Amazon. I just ordered a bunch to build the sfx100 off there. If you have questions im sure everyone here will be willing to give advice and help.

Upvote 0
Guys I'm done here.

Can you read each point from the OP?

They promised to send me the parts that will allow me to complete the rig as per their design and they just disappeared not for a week or two, for two months!

THIS IS THE ISSUE.

And the reason of my dissent from the choir of positive feedbacks.

What cov19? they're busy like hell! Fact is they start production based on ordering with very limited stock, guess due to the thin margin to minimize cash flow, but this is another story.

Furnace this is the second time you come across in the wrong way.

BTW the ergonomic is based on a 488 and was confirmed by a pro driver (I only drove the gtb), except for the pedal position that I move closer to the centerline of the seat (laterally), because I don't want to compromise my back.

If someone will be so kind to provide the male thread of the screw that goes into the lateral mounting profiles that hold the wheel deck will be very appreciated.

Otherwise, have fun guys, good racing.

OK, but the same video you point to at boosted clearly shows that the pedal tray goes below the profile and that the screws are countersunk. You say the opposite but won't supply and photos of what is going wrong. At the same time you expect us to take on face value that you have done everything right . I believe everyone is willing to help but in some aspects you are describing a product that is not the one you bought.

So there is the first point in your OP, a photo of how you set this up would clear up the issue one way or another quickly. I dont understand posting all of this and then not being open to help.

Upvote 0
@bgizzle8383
Thanks for confirming it's a standard pitch. I ordered the 20mm M8s on Amazon (not available at Home Depot here in Chicago).
For people that are not aware why I asked, I have plenty of both threads in different bolt lengths:

1591586842730.png

@Fennario - 2./3. yes indeed, but unfortunately not feasible in my case, that's why they offered to provide all bolts countersunk, so I can sink the whole platform. 4. And no, I am not inclined to use Loctite because I want have the option to adjust the sitting position whenever I am in the need (this is exactly why I consider it a flaw in the design compared to any other 8020 rig in the market, a standard joining plate is a more elegant solution that I cant adopt due to the extra width of the wheel front mount.

@ the skeptical(s)
Obviously I don't have the P1-X pedal plate mounted and I cant provide pictures of it. Also no need for guidance in this direction because they in fact acknowledged the problem and I am able to source an alternative option myself. I only wasted three months.

These are the facts:

(...)

1591587776025.png

Hi xxx,

Would you mind an update on the order in reference.
Wondering if there is a need for a modification on the pedal plate to accept the tilton set from ricmotech as per attachment.

Thank you and be safe out there.

---

Hi xxx,

We're close to shipping! Expect it out either tomorrow or beginning of next week. As for the Ricmotech, I think you'll need to drill some holes for it. I'll check again with xxx, our engineer, but I'm almost sure you'll need a drill for it. Good thing about it - aluminium is quite soft for drilling so any home grade drill will do just fine. :)

Sent: Friday, April 3, 2020 11:26 AM
To:
Subject:
Re: Front mounting bracket

Hi xxx,

I'm so sorry for delay in replying!

From what I've gathered, your issues are:

- Pedal deck can't be put lower in
- NLR brackets are short
- Feet were missing

Truly sorry again for not repyling sooner!

I'll need to check what can be done about pedal deck, because to be honest, we are mostly concerned the pedals itself can fit the rig. Height can be quite different, but I'm thinking if we countersunk the pedal brackets, they can be sunk in lower.

NLR brackets... they're actually made to be fit onto the 4040 rails that hold the seat. They probably don't work being mounted straight on the base, but we have a different solution made out of brackets that we used before and that one definitely works. Can I ship that to you?

Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 2:06 AM
Subject:Re: Front mounting bracket

Hello xxx,

xxx here, I m not sure if this is about the mounting of the tilton pedal set?

We are aware the NLR brackets need to be upgraded, but its used tnes of times without issue.

Best regards,

xxx <info@sim-lab.eu>
Mon 4/13/2020

Hi xxx,

We will have the new NLR brackets when we make a new order, then we will adjust the design.

About the Tiltons, they are not supported in such an extent we don't have guarantees, not sure what was communicated, sorry if it was misleading. The alu profiles do provide a simple rail to mount it on and because the tiltons have these mounting points I think we thought it would work. Nice setup though for sure! And if I can help with anything let me know.

<info@sim-lab.eu>
Tue 4/14/2020 8:05 AM
To: xxx

So to sum it up, you need 2 new pedal deck side plates, with the countersunk holes?

Best regards,

Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2020 6:16 AM
To:
Subject:
Re: Front mounting bracket

Hello xxx,

I have ordered the new NLR sidebrackets, can you give me a heads up in 4 weeks when we have them? Then I can finalize the order all at once.

Best regards,

<info@sim-lab.eu>
Tue 5/19/2020 9:07 AM

Hello xxx,

We should have the new NLR plates any moment now

(...)

After that silence despite my reminders.
So back to the point, product (length and the assembling of the uprights, but also the lack of the custom brackets for the sides of the front mount) and customer service are not necessarily as good as one would think from most of the reviews.

End of the saga.
---

IMG_20200412_123141.jpg

IMG_20200412_123221.jpg

Upvote 0
I guess you can call me a skeptic but probably because I think you are being too harsh IMO. You called the height of the vertical posts a 'flaw' and said some other guy confirmed it. He didn't, he said he was on a very tall motion platform bolted on top of the P1 and there was just enough room. Most people wont have this issue and will be seated lower. Hardly a 'flaw' or 9/10 people would be impacted.

I really dont get the 4 bolt holding up the uprights issue, Never ever heard they are not steady. I could lift mine up by them and it wouldnt move, I don't see any issue on the boosted media either.

I don't know enough about the pedals to help, They look small enough to for on the pedal tray so I dont know why there should be an issue. I assume they have mounting holes so not sure why holes could not be drilled in the correct place to facilitate them. It looks like you have bolted them on to some plate covered in carbon wrap. If you can do that on that plate I am not sure why not on the aluminium plate.

The NLR brackets, they explained they were not meant to be used like that, your choice. Boosted guy also did it like you were doing it and he didn't seem to mind. On that topic looks like Simlabs were prepared to give you something better for your non standard configuration, can't say thats a bad thing really. Also different than 'they acknowledged the issue and said they would send out a replacement.' More like they were willing to assist you wanting to do it in a different way.

I have no idea what is happening with your pedal tray, I cant make out if there was a problem or they are trying to do something more to help your specific circumstances.. All P1-x have trays that fit inside the rails, you can see it on boosted's video, they are countersunk. You didnt say yours is not like his so I assume there is something else you are asking them to help it fit your requirements.

It seems like maybe there is a grievance in there for you but in my opinion you have gone overboard with all the other stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure, I see all of your points and we can waste more time debating about the sex of the angels, but at the end of the day:

they said they would do it and they didn't.

Upvote 0
Understood, it's your expectations they have to meet to make you happy. I get the feeling Most that they did give you what you bought but perhaps not yet the extras you wanted. Most potential buyers reading are probably OK with getting what they paid for.

Upvote 0
1. Blue Locktite is what you are looking for... not permanent and pretty easy to break the seal (red is stronger/harder to undo). https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Heavy-Duty-Threadlocker-Single/dp/B000I1RSNS

2. Thanks for supplying the pictures... now I can see the issue with your pedal mount. Obviously no way to lower the pedals with that piece of profile installed as the supporting crossmember in lieu of the standard pedal deck. Per the standard set-up it should be much further back/part of the seat mount. Even if the V3 prevents putting it in the standard location, you should still move it back towards the seat for structural support and not use it for your pedal box. You could then use either (i) the standard P1-X pedal deck, or (ii) a much thinner piece of profile like you have at the front of your custom mount which would then allow you to lower the pedals below the top of the frame.

3. Your custom pedal plate looks pretty long, but still wondering why you were not able to affix your custom plate to the P1-X standard pedal deck. Seems like you could use 3 bolts in the back row and drill 2 holes around ⅔ - ¾ of the way down the plate to lock it down. They also sell this custom plate with a multitude of mounting holes and slots to fit different pedal sets.
1591645327734.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@rikirk I understand where you are coming from, I did not do business with Sim Lab but I had a similar experience with my own simulator cockpit that took months and months to get working properly. It is unreal when companies take your money, don't do as they say, **** up repeatedly, and don't fix or own up to it. Worse yet, simracers are an interesting bunch and will illogically defend things that just make no GD sense. that will make you scratch your head, did for me..but I am with you mate and see exactly where you are coming from! Wish you luck with your rig build, I hope you have someone locally if you hit another road block like I did with my situation. Sometimes no amount of chasing the original supplier helps and to salvage you need to come up with fixes on your own, but having someone locally who has more experience helps in this case. all the best mate!

Upvote 0
To be fair, I was sympathizing with the OP and speaking in general terms. In any case, yes you may well be happy with them, but it doesn't mean they didn't drop the ball in this gentleman's case - assuring to ship parts and disappearing for weeks is inexcusable when money has parted hands. I don't need to be a customer of theirs to speak in those general terms

Upvote 0
Something I think is forgotten many times is that many of these companies are very small. If I remember correctly when I got my rig they where a few guys. Not saying they shouldn't do what they say but its nice to even have this stuff available much less companies that go above and beyond to help us. Tomo at Sim Racing Bay went there. I got charged for duties and it took him 3 months but he got my money back. Same goes for Sim-Lab. It took a little time but they had no problems sending me the profiles I needed to make my setup work. Unfortunately the op didn't have the same result.

Upvote 0
I can back up some of the frustration of the OP here. I ordered my GT1 chassis OVER A YEAR AGO and the same things are still happening today, it seems. The young company struggling to meet demand grows tired when you see the same things happening to more people over the course of 12 months. I am happy with my rig and the effort Darko went to try and make it right, but there is no way I would ever put HE, SRB and other sim racing product manufacturers in the same breath as SimLab. They have a long way to go and doing so just gives them an excuse to not further improve their service.

I had:

- incorrect amounts of bolts
- incorrect lengths of bolts which needed to be angle grinded down at 10pm to get them to actually do what they were supposed to do - incorrect / missing CSS shifter mount
- incorrect additional parts to mount the V3 motion platform (which at the time was new to them and I was one of the first to try and come up with a solution)
- spare bolts that made no sense (i.e 1000 of one type and barely any of the others. A nice spread would have been more useful)
- absolutely lack of direction and insruction to assemble the product the way the design was intended (using the website advertising photos to build your $2300 AUD cockpit (for me) is unacceptable.
- An absolutely incredible amount of time to actually ship the product from the date of purchase. I knew this before ordering, but if you're going to wait 2+ months for something to arrive, it better come in perfect usable condition and not require further attention from the distributor.

There are more than a few issues listed there to cause concern for a potential buyer. I would expect that in the 15 months since I ordered my unit, things should have improved drastically.

In the end I am happy with my GT1, but the journey was far from perfect. On the other hand, HE sent me a brand new shifter no questions asked without wanting the old one back when I raised concern over it and SimRacingBay had my OSW order to my door from Spain to Australia in 7 days.

Guys, SimLab is good and I am glad that they exist, but if they were my employees I'd be giving them a great big Aussie kick in the arse.

Upvote 0
I had dealt with the exact same things with my own rig, yes from another company, but I agree that it is frustrating.

I, too, was very surprised people brought up those other companies, all of which I have indeed done business with and my experiences with each of them was peerless

Upvote 0
I can back up some of the frustration of the OP here. I ordered my GT1 chassis OVER A YEAR AGO and the same things are still happening today, it seems. The young company struggling to meet demand grows tired when you see the same things happening to more people over the course of 12 months. I am happy with my rig and the effort Darko went to try and make it right, but there is no way I would ever put HE, SRB and other sim racing product manufacturers in the same breath as SimLab. They have a long way to go and doing so just gives them an excuse to not further improve their service.

I had:

- incorrect amounts of bolts
- incorrect lengths of bolts which needed to be angle grinded down at 10pm to get them to actually do what they were supposed to do - incorrect / missing CSS shifter mount
- incorrect additional parts to mount the V3 motion platform (which at the time was new to them and I was one of the first to try and come up with a solution)
- spare bolts that made no sense (i.e 1000 of one type and barely any of the others. A nice spread would have been more useful)
- absolutely lack of direction and insruction to assemble the product the way the design was intended (using the website advertising photos to build your $2300 AUD cockpit (for me) is unacceptable.
- An absolutely incredible amount of time to actually ship the product from the date of purchase. I knew this before ordering, but if you're going to wait 2+ months for something to arrive, it better come in perfect usable condition and not require further attention from the distributor.

There are more than a few issues listed there to cause concern for a potential buyer. I would expect that in the 15 months since I ordered my unit, things should have improved drastically.

In the end I am happy with my GT1, but the journey was far from perfect. On the other hand, HE sent me a brand new shifter no questions asked without wanting the old one back when I raised concern over it and SimRacingBay had my OSW order to my door from Spain to Australia in 7 days.

Guys, SimLab is good and I am glad that they exist, but if they were my employees I'd be giving them a great big Aussie kick in the arse.

Unfortunately I agree with a few of your points. But doing what I do ive seen this happen many times. Good companies grow way faster then they can keep up with and customers fall through the cracks. Not only that quality suffers. Im not making excuses for them but its reality. But in the end they have the best rig out there. Hopefully they can get things straightened out and grow as a company.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

@anton_Chez
Perhaps things changed since then as my more recent experience was nothing to what you describe.
I had huge P1-X order with all possible accessories, few changes to the order after that, and was quite surprised that I got everything exactly as ordered, carefully packed with no scratches or dents of any sort after EU to US trip, with all the bolts, nuts, and mounting parts carefully packaged into individual labeled plastic bags.
There was one small bracket missing, for side mount support (not even sure that I didn't just throw it out with packing material as it was really small), and it was shipped to me right away after I contacted sim-lab.
Looks like they are learning and improving after all.

Upvote 0
A company outgrowing itself is no excuse to not accurately follow a packing slip order correctly. It is the most elementary of tasks for a distributor. I had other friends on this very forum order around the same time as me and they had perfect orders with many many more useful spare parts than I received. So it's not a time thing, it's a hit and miss thing.

I hope that they do improve and cases such as mine and the OP are never heard again.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years