Sim-Lab not all good as it looks

I want to share my own experience with Sim-Lab since everybody is praising this company for the quality of their products and the committed customer service.

The product.

I came from a US 80/20 supplier, 4play racing, with a solid rig that works perfectly with the simsteering wheel, or AFv2 for the matter, a super adjustable pedal set and the right room for the V3 motion seat from NLR. Since neither company was considering providing a custom front mount, I decided to sell it and finally go for the trendsetter: the P1-X.

When I made the order online (over $1k without monitor stand), I made clear I did not have a standard pedal, but a Tilton set and they answered right away I only needed to drill the four holes myself and everything will go into the right place.

I found out it was far from true and after I started mounting the rig, more issues came along that are not still solved despite the promises they made already months ago. They simply do not follow up, like any other ghost company in nowhere internet land.

1 - If you are tall enough and your seat allows for a low center of gravity like the V3 – using Sim Lab brackets - the pedal plate needs to go below the top of the main frame. Unfortunately, this option is not viable because the screws are not countersunk and get in the way with the side profiles. You can only mount the pedal set on top of the frame. This is to me no sense because they made a bracket for the V3 and they should know it is not ergonomic with any set of pedals if you are taller than 6’2” with a GT style as it should be for this item.

2 – the promise of making four holes was just a lie. I had to build myself a platform to adapt the Tilton to the PX-1 and use the original design in a different way to find enough parts to mount the pedals.

3 – the design of the aluminum floor is just no sense. The edges are rounded and due to the reduced size of the pedal platform they do not fit in the profiles even if you are using the brackets. Pure simple bad design and probably the reason why they do not post pictures of how to install it as some requested already. Completely waste of money there.

4 – they did not supply the standard feet, but I did not care because I had a set myself. Can’t imagine the frustration for someone that did not have those and could not use the rig right after spending half a day of mounting it. But this may happen and is not a deal beaker at all. In fact they provide so much extra hardware I can open a store (read, they did not have a check list for all the parts as they have now).

5 – the brackets for the motion V3 are too narrow to hold it in place and I need to use additional brackets to lock the seat. Sim-lab acknowledged the issue and they promised to send me the new version that overlaps the profile correctly.

6 – much more disappointment is the way the side mount is designed. Only 4 short screws are holding the whole weight of the profiles, the deck mount and the wheel on each side. After had to dismount the rig couple of times and slide it back and forth to find the right seating position, they are not holding into the frame and now there is a half an inch free movement when driving. Asked for a way to replace those screws since are EU specs, but again no answer and cannot find replacement in the States, if any, without knowing the particular thread. This is unacceptable.

7 – I’m 6’3” and for a GT setup the lateral profiles are simply too short. This flaw is confirmed by Will in his review on YT (Boosted Media). He is 1 inch shorter and in my case the front mount barely fits (read sits outside the side profiles).

The Customer Service

Well, after dozen of emails, last communication two weeks ago was "we should have the parts available at any moment", which would imply they will ship whatever I need to finally have my rig as designed and functional. Never heard from them anymore, so I guess it's all on me and I have to spend the extra $ to find options locally, which includes custom metal plates!

You might believe I am just a negative person and I am here out of frustration because I did not get what I paid for after three months and all promises from the company’s owner, whom actually was not willing to help to begin with.

Indeed, I am, but there are other companies I can praise for the quality of their products and even more for their outstanding customer service. From my own experience I can name Next Level Motion, Ricmotech, OpenSimRig and 4Play Racing. They always responded in a timely fashion and help me out going even the extra mile if necessary to make it happen.

In this case, I am not even close to what I paid for.

Real intention is to alert prospects, that is not all as good as it looks, so they can make their own decision based on real users’ feedback.

Happy to provide documentation.

• Deleted member 197115

So you had problem modding standard spec P1X for your not so standard equipment?
Some of your complaints, "short screws", half inch play, really no idea what this is about, did you use the right ones and put everything properly together?
Same for customer service, they could be slow in busy times, but always getting back and make everything possible to make customer happy, at least that was my experience with my back and forth changes to the order and communication with them when I missed one small bracket from the shipment.
It's a difficult time for every business, I am sure they will sort you out, just give them some time.

Upvote 0
Im 6foot 4 and yes I agree its close in length but works just fine with an adjustable slider on your seat. It sounds like you are mounting the seat between the frame rails which would change a lot of things. I also have odd pedals(mine are inverted HEs) but they worked with me and sent me the pieces to get the pedals mounted with zero issues other then a few emails. I have to agree with Andrew also it sounds like maybe you used the wrong screws or tbolts on the uprights because that is super strong and no way moving it a few times should cause it to be loose. Not sure what you mean by EU spec bolts either. Im pretty sure they are all 8mm or 6mm bolts on aluminum profile. You should be able to match those up pretty easily.

You also have to remember these arent normal times. Many things are happening very slowly right now. Nobody likes it but just the way it is for now until things get back to normal.

Upvote 0
I agree they can be slow to return emails, frustratingly, but i've always found them a pleasure to deal with. I got the GT Evo and the uprights were too short when using a NLRv3 but I simply ordered some more profile.

Upvote 0
I am 6-3 with long legs...

1. I put the rig on 8 locking casters for mobility between systems/rooms, but an added benefit is that there is extra space beneath the rig for a floor and/or lower pedals if necessary. I installed mine in an inverted position which can set my pedals below the top of the frame without issue (can still drop it down 2 rails).

2. The bolt holes on the deck pieces that slide against the frame rails are countersunk - Make sure that you did not reverse the left and right pieces when assembling. I also set the overhang of the deck so that it could extend out past the front of the rig if necessary. This config should give you more than enough legroom even if your seat is positioned between the frame rails vs. pushed back and/or on a slider.

3. You can adjust the spacing between the two profile pieces comprising the pedal plate to align with the front and back holes on your pedal's base plate.

4. As others have mentioned, make sure you used M8 bolts and blocks for the side profiles. They have more than enough strength to handle the load/readjustment/etc. and should not be shifting. Locktite them into place when you achieve the right set-up to ensure they don't back out.

5. They give you the extra hardware (bolts and blocks of various sizes, corner brackets, couple of rails, etc.) to ensure you have what you need to (a) install whatever existing hardware you may have in a number of different configurations, and (b) for any future modifications/upgrades.

1591420141069.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I appreciate all the comments. It's because of the enthusiasm of all happy customers like you that I went with Sim-Lab.

I can reply to you all point per point to prove mine, but it's a useless exercise.

Just please consider I have some knowledge of what I am talking about and all the issues were documented, evaluated and approved by the manufacturer with the only exclusion of the lack of spare screws for the lateral profiles holding the wheel deck, which happened to be after I received their last email.

The real matter is that they are in denial for two months and I don't have what I paid for on 2/20, which in my world is a breach of contract and in fact I will have to pay extra out of my pocket to make it to work.

So, allow me to say I am not going to do anymore business with them.

And some within this community may find this a different, but somehow useful information.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

All we are saying that unless the design of P1-X changed or you got shipped wrong or defective parts, most of your complaints seems like the result of improper assembly.
I built P1-X around Christmas myself and it was hiccup free assembly, was very impressed by clever engineering and flexibility of the rig.
But bad things and mistakes happen, hope you sort it out with sim-lab, if this is indeed their fault.

Upvote 0
Regret that you did not have a good experience with them - cannot blame you for feeling the way you do. They are a young company which has been overwhelmed by demand for their products and their QC along with response times to issues could be/is taking a hit as a result. Also bear in mind that b/c of Covid there is not really a breach of contract... Force Majeure probably applies in this case, particularly if the delay is due to their suppliers.

In the end, just a bit confused b/c I built the config you were looking for without issue. Wish you the best finding an acceptable resolution.

See: https://dutch-law.com/force-majeure.html

FWIW... these are the terms of your contract with Sim-Lab: https://sim-lab.eu/terms-and-conditions/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I say it's what they agreed with me in writing. I'm a lawyer.

Then you know you're yelling at the clouds... (i) not worth your time/energy/effort to pursue a minimal recovery in a Dutch court; (ii) the potentially billable time you've already spent posting and replying to messages on this thread is worth more than the P1-X; (iii) demand has been so strong they have more business than they can handle at current scale - they can only accept orders for 1 day per month before running out of available product; and (iv) other than poisoning any remaining goodwill you may have with them, social media postings targeting small companies over QC matters generally have little to no effect - particularly when it is an isolated incident contrary to the vast majority of customer experiences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I fear this thread is about to descend into pointless bickering so I'm going to try and be constructive. Do you want to post some pictures of your rig so we can see the issues? That way we'll be able to help you resolve them. Many of us have used sim-lab with no issues, hence the near universal praise, so I'm sure our combined experience of their products could help you.

Addressing some particular issues:

1. Pedal height. With a GT style setup, you still want the pedals to be reasonably high. Your heals should be roughly level with your butt, rather than lower as you'd have in a road car. That said, it seems like other people have managed to reduce the height of the pedals so if you post some pictures they might be able to point out what you can do to change your setup.

2/3. Photos here would be useful because I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Sim-lab are pretty good at trying to accommodate all kinds of peripherals, however sometimes modification might be necessary if you don't have equipment from the usual brands.

4/5. Sounds like these have been resolved now? The extra extrusion you received will be cutoffs from when your rig was made. Hang on to these because they're incredibly useful for making extra mounting points for shifters, button boxes etc.

6. I have loosened and re tightened the bolts on my rig many times and have never had an issue with them not going back in and supporting it properly. The bolts uses will probably be M8 16mm or 20mm, just measure the length, which I'm sure are widely available. Again, post some pictures to show what your issue is and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

Sim racing has a pretty friendly community here so I'm hoping we can help you out and get you racing, rather than arguing about contract law which tbh helps no-one.

Upvote 0
Certainly photos, you may get more help then you expect this way as I am also struggling with a couple things you are saying as they don't match with the P1 I know or I am misunderstanding what is being explained. For instance, if we are talking about drilling four holes for the pedals then yes I can see what they are talking about if they expected that the profile positions needed to be changed. I had to do this to fit my HPP's at the time.

I don't understand the four screws, is this for the uprights, the 120x40? I find when they are done up that they are rock solid and really prefer the plate thta they use rather than just using s number of brackets. I am 6'2" and find it fine. I also have a very low center of gravity and my wheel is well below the height of the profiles so I am not sure why you experience that they are too short. Ok, scrub that. I just looked at the boosted media thing and the V3 is the complete opposite of low center of gravity. It moves your seat much higher than a normally mounted seat. So it has lees to do with your height and much more to do with mounting the seat over 4" higher than someone else.

Anyhow, pics tell a thousand words.

Upvote 0
EU Bolts! so you can't buy M8 bolts in the US? :roflmao:
Probably referring to the fact they have different thread size (standard size is bigger in America obviously ;)) so can’t be screwed into the same nut.

Mostly sounds like user error mixed with a healthy dash of any understanding to the current Covid situation and deciding to blame it on the company. Honestly it’s sad reading posts of people complaining about delivery times at the moment, some people:O_o:.

Upvote 0
Guys I'm done here.

Can you read each point from the OP?

They promised to send me the parts that will allow me to complete the rig as per their design and they just disappeared not for a week or two, for two months!

THIS IS THE ISSUE.

And the reason of my dissent from the choir of positive feedbacks.

What cov19? they're busy like hell! Fact is they start production based on ordering with very limited stock, guess due to the thin margin to minimize cash flow, but this is another story.

Furnace this is the second time you come across in the wrong way.

BTW the ergonomic is based on a 488 and was confirmed by a pro driver (I only drove the gtb), except for the pedal position that I move closer to the centerline of the seat (laterally), because I don't want to compromise my back.

If someone will be so kind to provide the male thread of the screw that goes into the lateral mounting profiles that hold the wheel deck will be very appreciated.

Otherwise, have fun guys, good racing.

Upvote 0
Have you tried shooting them an another email? Maybe it got lost in the mix with everything that's going on. They may be busy but I know even from my business the supply chain is horrible right now. Things that took a day to come in take at least a week now. Used fedex lately ? Expect your package to sit in town for a week because they cant get things out fast enough with the amount of deliveries they have. So you may think everything is normal but they aren't if your depending on shipments.

I can understand the frustration but my suggestion is take breath and start over. There are many here willing to help if you cant get it resolved with them. Worst case is you can order the profiles you need to make your rig work like you want.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for the info @NeoGrotesk ! Will order now.

@d69morpwr thanks for the empathy. I definitely agree with you. Unfortunately, after 3 months of back and forth, I am giving up.
Good news I will finally get it done with no further delay.

No questions the P1 is the best looking 8020 out there.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back