Sim Discussion Monday - RaceRoom Racing Experience

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - RaceRoom - TheReaper GT 2.jpg

Another working week on the horizon and to lighten the mood (probably), let's have ourselves a discussion about RaceRoom Racing Experience..

The sim with the silly name, RaceRoom Racing Experience has plenty of licenced racing content to offer players who can navigate their way through the occasionally confusing pricing and store structure.

If you do manage to find you way into the game itself then you are rewarded by a product that has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. With plenty of officially licenced racing series to be found (no road car nonsense here), a very robust and varied selection of greater and lesser known circuits and easily the best audio experience in the sim racing marketplace, RaceRoom and Sector3 Studios have pulled together a very compelling product for sim racers to enjoy.

With all that said, the core game experience does still lack in several fundamental areas before it can genuinely be considered a true racing simulation, to be frank that same accusation can be levelled at pretty much all the current crop of sims to varying degrees, and what it does it does very well indeed.

So in the spirit of sharing our collective experiences and knowledge can our community let us all know what we like / don't like about the sim, share any useful tips to get the most from the title, let us know what you'd like to see in the future and just generally shoot the breeze for a day or two about Sector3 Studios current racing simulation..

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - RaceRoom - M-Bimmer 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - RaceRoom - M-Bimmer.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - RaceRoom - TheReaper GT.jpg

Image credits: M-Bimmer and TheReaper GT

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 6919

Positives:
Sound.
FFB.
Graphics. (good for dx9)
Tracks.
Cars. (can be a slow process getting them)
Car Handling.
Mutliplayer.

Negatives:
Graphics. (needs to be dx11..coming soonish)
Weather conditions 24hr cycles. (on the horizon maybe)
Real tyre model. (tyre temps & compounds..eventually I understand)

I was helping a Chinese league to get started with R3E because the F2P business model is very well accepted in China, and we did a survey and most people were willing to pay for extra contents even when there was no "premium pack" allowing you to buy everything at a much lower price back then. I translated all the change logs since late 2014, I translated the user interface of CrewChief when back then it only supported R3E and PCars, I wrote posts of buying guide, new contents news, and many other information news, most of the league organizers were excited and even tried to see if they could help get a full license of Chinese Touring Car Championship to put it in R3E. However when more people gave R3E a go all they saw was an "Error 503" message on start up. The sporadic connection issues made most of the people unable to even launch the game. R3E has been nicknamed "503E", and pretty much no one bothers with it any more, which is sad, and considering my efforts in promoting the game, very frustrating too.

Last edited:
It is my favorite sim, despite its quirks.

First let's get the comparisons out of the way: of all the "recent" sims, R3E is the first I've played. I then tried Project Cars and hated the driving model. I also tried AC which I like, even though it is a bit dry and, to me at least, most cars feel like driving on ice, especially compared to R3E.

Now R3E feels a bit too grippy in many cases but I think it is a good compromise and what makes it a fun sim. (I remember practicing for a AC club event last week and I was just getting frustrated at the lack of grip and the following invalid laptimes.) And that's the point someone else was making in another thread last week or the week before: yes it's a sim, but it's also a game, and it should be more fun than frustrating.

Like countless others, I think the game sounds fantastic, and I'm actually very happy with the graphics. Sure AC and pCARS may have better textures and lighting, but when I'm immersed by the sound and the feeling of being in control, I can just focus on the racing. I have a bunch of settings on low like shadows and I don't even notice them. So, for a racing point of view, it is a fantastic sim. The netcode is pretty great, too. As most of you know, I race from Canada on European servers and my ping is higher than others. I find online racing in R3E to be very stable, as opposed to AC, for instance, where cars are not necessarily warping when trying to overtake but are moving very unevenly. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure most of you have seen it before.

However, it is of course a bit dated. If I remember correctly, I believe it is still a 32 bits game, and it's a shame that it can't run the Nordschleife properly in certain circumstances. And that's where the graphics are sometimes being annoying to me: there are some major glitches on certain tracks, usually the bigger ones including the Nordschleife and Spa, where the whole background is shimmering. I'm no expert but I think it's probably caused by those limitations. It is extremely distracting when you're trying to focus on your racing.

I'm also not a big fan of their business model. I'm what you may call a budget sim racing - I have a 12 years old Logitech MOMO Racing FFB wheel and I've spent quite a bit of money on cars and tracks already that I find it hard to keep buying investing in an old game, even though I understand the content is fantastic (that m235i is just plain awesome). I'm especially concerned with their future updates: if/when then move to the Unreal Engine in the (near) future, will the accounts transfer and let us keep the assets we've bought? If not, why am I still buying stuff for it? I realize this is groundless right now but I just wonder...

Speaking of "old game", some of the older content doesn't feel on par with the newer one. I know they've adjusted the overall physics model quite a bit, but some of the older cars just don't feel right. For instance, the handling model of the BMW M6 GT3 is far superior, in my opinion, to that of the McLaren MP4-12C or the Corvette Z06.R GT3. It doesn't mean they're not fun to drive, it's just the old cars are a bit more plain to drive. Another example is the new BMW m235i. That thing feels great to drive. I just feel everything in that car, particularly the grip. I understand that I talked about two very different car categories, but there is too much a difference to be simply left to this aspect alone.

Then there's also the lack of some features. I think it is unacceptable in a sim not to have such a basic option to adjust tire pressures... That is just ridiculous. I'm also longing for a proper data analysis program. Sure making setups and analysing data is complicated and you don't want to alienate casual sim racers, but that's why they have the amateur category. Unlock those options for the get real one.

Yet for the main part, it's hard to find major fault with the sim. I think it's pretty, it's fun, and the club events here have a great, loyal, and respectful base of racers that I feel add to the game. There are no perfect racing sims, but we can still have a favorite, and I think mine is R3E.

Raceroom:
  • Best sound (no one else even comes close).
  • Excellent graphics (DX9 still looks great apparently).
  • Excellent FFB (equal to AC, slightly behind rF2).
  • Excellent physics (equal to AC, slightly behind rF2).
  • Good AI (equal to AC, slightly behind rF2).
  • Good track selection/optimization.
  • No modding :cry:
  • No weather :cry:
  • No tire types/pressure adjustments.
And the Big One:
  • Best selection of race cars from complete race series, with all/nearly all cars represented.
Bottom Line: My favorite overall racing sim. :)

Last edited:
Startet a Raceweekend with the Audi TT Cup in Zandvoort with adaptive AI, qualified last Place because they are to fast, overtake some cars in first corner, and after third restart i survived the first lap.
Then crashed (my own fault this time), go back to menu that adaptive AI can adopt my laptimes.
Tried again. And the Ai changed. In quali they where 1-2 seconds faster :O_o:, so i qualified last again. Overtake half of the pack in first corner, was bombed off the track end of first lap, ended R3E, started Automobilista

Sorry for my english :rolleyes:

I still don't get it why people like this game.
No matter how much i tried , no matter how much i like the sounds (which i believe that are superb in ambient area but not for engine, i prefer AMS for this one), no matter how much i like the graphics ( they are superb and crystal clear and natural in my system in DSR , on par with AC) , i never ever got the right feeling.
Always had the impression that the FFB is articial , that i drive a code, some effects and nothing more, that there are no actual physics underneath.

I might doing something fundamentally wrong but i tried everything i could think off with my G27 settings.
All cars just feel simply wrong.

Sry i am trying to like it because my friends are but i can't . :redface:

By far my most played racing sim. I love the natural feel to the car handling, the highly realistic sounds and the wealth of content on offer. The graphics lack the refinement of more modern engines but still look great in 4k. The track artists are the best in the business.

What lets R3E down? It lacks some very basic features, most fundamentally tyre pressure adjustment, but also things like custom liveries and an AI grid selector. Also the sim needs to be more dynamic and offer track surface evolution and variable (dynamic) weather and time-of-day.

The sales model leaves a lot to be desired. It's extremely convoluted and confusing to the new player and things like charging for individual liveries aren't always popular.

Regardless, I've put around 550 hours into R3E so it must be doing something right.

Last edited:
Unfortunately don't play it much as i would like as i find the Ai shunts me off track in every race. I have much better races in rf2.
Must be my luck or early apexes. I rarely had good AI-races in rF2. They completely ignoring my existence and hitting me in every race even i put them rather down in strength and aggression. It kind of works with a Clio, but openwheeler-races are impossible.

I know it will sound strange, but if you have an AMD cpu, turn off the global shadows, leave only the car's shadows on. Your fps will rise like a rocket. I have a 1070 and to me the shadows look clearly cpu bound.
What's your GPU?

Always had the impression that the FFB is articial , that i drive a code, some effects and nothing more, that there are no actual physics underneath.
It feels quite simplified compared to what the others are doing, and honestly, failing at most of the time if you ask me. It does feel detached like you said, like a mix of Race 07 and some sponginess so that it's not too snappy like iRacing and rF2. I was disappointed when I finally tried their Indycar, that's such a good example of that king of numb feeling. I still want to buy it and tweak it, but the test drive is uninspiring.

I would prefer a road feel like that of Automobilista and slightly updated visuals for a more natural look, but otherwise I finally love it. I remember the horror of the closed beta, the gigantic colour arrows, the disconnections mid-race, the terrible physics, but they've made it work eventually. It's pretty crazy that they leave the old physics in some of the cars, though, and selling a DTM pack that includes all the old shitty stuff is dumb, but there is so much good in there.

Never a dull day with R3E for me. Just look at what we have.

- Fantastic selection of tracks (including some more obscure Swedish club tracks)
- Great selection of cars (classes complete with many brands)
- Physics quality remains consistent from class to class (bar a few exceptions)
- Soundscape that is bar none the best in the business
- Graphics do the job, not the best of course, but it has its moments, most notably when watching a broadcast
- Very informative force feedback (some may prefer something more pure, I really appreciate the extra effects put into the FFB to help with things like understeer)
- AI is quite good (A one step forward two steps back type thing at times, but very much improved now)

Overall, the game is a very good package and you can now buy all of the content for a very reasonable price. The game really excels at giving us various series full of different brands to choose from and the eSports stage seems to be growing. Leaderboards never get old, it's that carrot on a stick approach that works very well for those that want to push themselves and continue to get better and learn from experience drivers.

Favorite sim for me and I don't see that changing. Then again, all I needed was the M6 boat anyway so anything else is just gravy. :D

Overall, the game is a very good package and you can now buy all of the content for a very reasonable price.
How can you tell? I've been buying little pieces here and there (I'm only missing one circuit) for over 4 years and I still get "buy all this for 80USD".

I wonder what it looks like to a newcomer, seeing the prices and trying the free non-updated content from 2012-2013.

How can you tell? I've been buying little pieces here and there (I'm only missing one circuit) for over 4 years and I still get "buy all this for 80USD".

I wonder what it looks like to a newcomer, seeing the prices and trying the free non-updated content from 2012-2013.
If you try to buy the Premium Pack now, the Portal should take into account the content you already have and provide you a discount. It would definitely be strange that you see the full price as the portal should show you how much of a discount you are getting.

It's all based on opinion of course, but for the amount of content you are getting, I find 80$ to be a pretty reasonable price to have everything if you are starting from scratch, especially when you look at how much it costs to own everything on AC.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 243 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 121 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 13.9%