Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista.jpg

The weekend is behind us and it's Monday once again. To help alleviate some of that disappointment, let's have another Sim Discussion Monday!

The subject of choice this week is the mighty Automobilista from Reiza Studios. Starting out life with a very Brazilian theme before undergoing it's current expansion to cover all things motorsport, Automobilista has come on a long way since the early days under GSCE branding.

Now featuring plenty of the bells and whistles expected of a modern racing simulation, plus an impressive collection of cars and racing series from a diverse cross section of the motorsport world, AMS is something of a little known gem in the sim racing landscape.

I will be running one of these each Monday, for all the major sims, as a place to get some community feedback on the game itself and everything associated with the title.

Let's use this as a place for some user reviews and a central spot for all things AMS. Found a good mod you want to let people know about, tell us! Have a particular favourite car or track? Well shout up! Know some tricks to get the game running in its sweet spot? Fire away! Want to muse about future content coming to the sim, or want to beg the developers to go out and secure a particular licence agreement? Well now you can... !

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 1.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 3.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 5.jpg

So many hours of joy in this game :):):):):)

The one thing that busts my chops is the F&(*&(&@&# delta keeps getting F&*&@#&$ in multiplayer when someone leaves the server - and its random, but more often than not.
Would you believe they still don't have a fix yet.
Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, PLEASE, someone help Reiza fix this!!11!!1

Automobilista Is simply the most underestimated car sim around in my book, the graphics may not be stunning, but they are certainly good enough to get the experience, the ai is fairly good, the car library is vast and more importantly the moding community is large on this one with some great f1 1994/1995 mods etc that are simply stunning. Reiza seem to update the game well and tend to listen to us gamers on most things. Tracks are good, and they seem to be adding more each time there's a update. Overall I would say if you haven’t got this game in your library yet, you're missing out. i can't say much about the multiplayer side as i don't use it yet!.

Great mods = f1 2006, 1991, 1992,1993,1994 ,1995 and 2006. great skins for the v8 stock cars I could go on but I wont ,try it you wont be sorry.

Last edited:
Now featuring plenty of the bells and whistles expected of a modern racing simulation, plus an impressive collection of cars and racing series from a diverse cross section of the motorsport world, AMS is something of a little known gem in the sim racing landscape.

This!AMS is so complete, immersive and coherent SIM on the market...I will love to see the same attention on detail and features on other sims too!

Automobilista is a solid title I would recommend to everyone entering and being in sim racing. It has lots of interesting, varied, even extreme content compared to other titles. One can get a taste of many many series and disciplines from around the world, on tracks not presented in any other sim. All this, of course, would be very expensive to license, so many cars in the roster are "generic", without real liveries, which might be a drawback for some.

The game engine has its pros and cons as well. Since it's an older, well worked out engine, performance is great, but visuals are somewhat lacking. Still much nicer than the original rFactor. But it makes the game more accessible for those with weaker PCs.

The road feel and FFB are top notch, one of, if not the best feedback I have experienced in sim racing. Especially the F3s, simply awesome.

AMS delivers on almost all fronts, but it will never be my favourite sim. The old engine might help those with weaker PCs, but it holds back those with stronger ones. And I am a simracer for whom realistic graphics are just as important as proper physics to be immersed. Yet my main problem with this sim is the AI. The new aggressivity settings are better, but too much. It's pretty okay when the grid pulls apart a bit, but the starts are terrible with cars ramming each other and the player. I have great hopes this will be tweaked, as stated in the last dev roadmap update.

Until the uncertainty around Reiza's new title clears up, AMS is well worth to get, without question.

One of the best and most fun driving sims out there :)

I feel that AMS has a nice balance between being super realistic and genuinely tough (like RF2) and having that ability to jump in and have a race when you feel like it (Raceroom).

I was originally attracted because of it's Brazilian bias. The tracks I'd never heard of, the series it provided that I wasn't aware of; it was just something very different and I loved it.

From there it's just grown and grown and although it will never have the massive following of the some of the other sims (simply because some users prefer better visuals, VR, etc.) it still has a massive cult following on here and other sim racing sites as well.

Reiza have done an amazing job over the last few years and they should be applauded for all the work and effort they've put into a great piece of work.

There's also the excellent mods that have been developed for AMS. As usual it's a question of filtering out the bad from the good but the good is very good! :)

I guess the only downside is open lobby racing can be tiny, it's only when nice people like RD organise great events (or leagues) that you see great turn outs. Not a big issue for me but I have seen criticism on social media that users expect to look at lobbies and see loads of players and they don't. So they end up turning to something like iRacing. Not a fault of the game at all, just something I've noticed.

Well done Reiza and I wish you all the best for the future, you have created a little masterpiece :thumbsup:

Finally getting some enjoyment out of it lately. The 2017 stock cars feel very well done FFB- and physics-wise, way moreso than most of the other cars, as the rear finally seems to suffer less from the usual ISI engine acceleration syndrome and the wheel's response is much more in line with what I would expect from the car than, say, the response I get while driving the old stock cars, which is a nice, palpable improvement that makes the cars really good to drive.

The sim itself is still a bit overrated I feel, and the AI after the patch is better at providing moments of frustration (or sheer hilarity at times) than racing, but I'm happy with it right now.

Last edited:
AMS is a mighty fine sim. I always liked it when it was GSC but it has improved so much since the early days.
I really like the real road implementation and it has added quite a bit to the feel of the sim.
My favourite cars are and have always been the Stock cars that it made its name with. They were just different and very enjoyable to race in.
Now I have my AMS modded a bit with the EEC mod and the F1 2016 mod and they are really enjoyable to use too. I also enjoy the Marcas cars and the Caterhams, MCR2000 etc. All brilliant fun to throw around.
54YCfOo.jpg

My only downside of AMS is that sometimes for no reason I can fathom, it throws a dicky with my T500RS wheel causing me to warm reset my PC and unplug the T500 too. No other game or sim does it, just AMS. But it only happens like one in every 3 races. But it's enough to put me off entering club races with AMS incase it happens.

Last edited:
There’s something pretty special about starting a single race event using the Stadium Trucks… Just the experience of starting the truck in neutral, sitting in the garage, pushing in the clutch and shifting into first, pulling out of your stall and seeing all of that peripheral vision in the side monitors (w/triple screens)… Looking over at the other trucks in their stalls as you drive past at pit road speed… Then the deafening roar of your own engine as you exit pit road hard on the throttle, the front of the truck lifting up from the torque. Out the windshield you see a bird flying overhead, wings flapping, or maybe a plane flying in the near distance trailing a banner behind it. Then you’re hard on the brakes as you try to keep this beast under control through turn one, tires squealing in protest. And if the turn is too sharp, a quick reach with the right hand to pull back on the joystick/hand brake gently locks the rear tires briefly, sliding the rears just enough to negotiate the tight turn just a bit easier and with a touch of style, then you’re back on the gas hard, yet careful enough to not roll this beast over whilst balancing it on three wheels out of the turn, headed for the first ramp...

The experience carves a smile into the face that's hard to remove. So much fun and such an incredible simulation.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back