Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa.jpg

In today’s edition of ‘Sim Discussion Monday’ we talk about all things Assetto Corsa!

Love it or loathe it Assetto Corsa has quickly become one of the most popular racing simulations of the modern sim racing landscape. Bathed in exotic licences the likes of Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini all pitched together on laserscanned tracks, with high quality graphics and physics and a vibrant modding scene, Assetto Corsa from Kunos Simulazioni has very quickly picked up the mantle once held so tightly by Image Space Incorporated and the venerable rFactor platform.

However despite the popularity of the software Assetto Corsa still lacks many of the features considered essential in a modern racing title (think day / night transition, weather and driver swops), leaving many to feel the sim is so close to the top of the mountain, yet just falling short as it scales the summit.

Now in its third year of development, let’s use this article as an opportunity to discuss the game, share tips on optimising the experience on screen and through the wheel, highlight some great content and basically just talk about anything and everything Assetto Corsa!

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 3.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 5.jpg

• Deleted member 241736

There are a lot of things like the DLC-strategy or the kind of marketing I don't understand by Kunos. I love it till my hopes will crash cause AC won't give us "adjustable pitstop strategy" and more opponents - at least one rival - for a lot of lovley racing-cars. It's really a shame they don't fix it and they further support a kind of "hot lap simulator"

...Normally, I don't take part of such a discussion : it's always the same : fanboys will says "it's the best sim ever, and everything is so peeeerfect!!!!", and haters, or other people will says : "I prefear that one or that else"..."I don't like it, it's less realistic than....."
So, I won't judge, for me AC is my n°3 sim in order of preferencies...
There is only one thing I really really HATE there, and I don't understand why nobody's telling a thing about it :
"WTF ABOUT CURBS ???!!!!!!!"
I mean really ..WTF ???!!!!!!
..and I'm not talking only about "curbs", that's same for "astroturf" (don't knows the word in english..)
way way too much sliding, stupidely sliding...That's more than sliding, just get a wheel on a curb, and the car spins....
Anyone who did IRL driving knows that it's ridiculous....
so, again : WTF WITH CURBS ?!!!!! and why nobody ask for that ?!
That said, this game (I says "game and not "sim", cause all these is just gaming...) is very fun
@++
my god.
you complained before even search by yourself, spam " WTF " in capslock won't help you.
it's fully normal, depend on the curbs, wich car you're driving ., elevation, angle of the incrimined curb etc...
you can minimize that with appropriate settings.
but you still have to avoid some curbs whatever settings you have, there will some curbs you dont want to take,some you want to take ( it helps the car to rotate in some low speed turn ) some you can stay flat out, some u have to release accelerator pedal, etc...
Why nobody complains about it?
because there is nothing to complain.
you just misunderstood how it works, that's all.
simple as that

excuse my english guys

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

any title going across platforms, will become essentially less of a product in the long run, since consoles have limitations. and that's what happened with AC, less development on PC platform due to console development.
Looks at the list of the features and fixes added after AC went consoles. Doesn't seem like there is any less development, rather contrary, there is more.
V10 tires on all cars, live axle, AI improvements and there is much, much more.

• Deleted member 205301

Why nobody complains about it?
because there is nothing to complain.
you just misunderstood how it works, that's all.

excuse my english guys

.1. You really don't have to apologize for your english, I'm not english too, and don't see why we have to apologize while we're doing an effort (very curious to see how english people speaks french or italian...)
.2. I have to thanks you for trying to answering me, but that's typically the kind of answer i excpected to have...So i won't tell you my life, but I perfectly knows how it works IRL, and this is not it ;)
But don't get me wrong, you're right in what you said, but AC do it in a "very strange way". IRL we try to avoid curbs because : 1. it shakes (and could damage something or cause a driving issue) 2. it could eventually slide a bit in some condition, depending of "materials" used (and not "always" and really not so much, as in AC), 3. it causes often punctures (cause of lot of things accumulates on curbs)

Understanding that nobody else seems concerned by this, and considering that it's not "so important", I won't talk more...
Thx for time monstro ;)
@++

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know how to feel about the physics in AC, Sometimes they feel like gran turismo, Especially when cars leave the ground.. It feels strange. Same for drifting in AC i just cant seem to drift like i could in Live For Speed.
And sometimes when racing i have a feeling no lap is the same.. grip that was there a lap before just suddenly isnt the next lap. I play AC almost every day and i like it but sometimes i cant help it and it just feels weird.
(and yes i want rain lol)

• Deleted member 197115

I dont know how to feel about the physics in AC, Sometimes they feel like gran turismo, Especially when cars leave the ground.. It feels strange. Same for drifting in AC i just cant seem to drift like i could in Live For Speed.
And sometimes when racing i have a feeling no lap is the same.. grip that was there a lap before just suddenly isnt the next lap. I play AC almost every day and i like it but sometimes i cant help it and it just feels weird.
(and yes i want rain lol)
Keep any eye on tire wear, temperature AND pressure. Almost all road cars in default street setup go red on pressure after a lap or two, drop like 5 psi.

Oh NO here comes Fordie, AC No1 Fanboy.....well that's what you all think, but....

I generally like AC tbh. Personally I think the FFB is fantastic, the handling of most of the cars is great, and from a modder's point of view, TOP TOP MARKS for help and assistance from @kunos (Stef and Aris), you don't get many Devs really help if you ask them a question, but there is loads of work that is required to really make it their punch line "Your Racing Simulator".

Fully working Damage Model
Simulated track groove, with functioning Marbles
Proper flag systems that work
Proper penalties for track limits, 1 = warning, 2 = drive through, non of this slow down, which actually causes more accidents.
Formation / Warm up lap (can be set via the server)
Ability to swap front tyres to rear, and visa versa in a pitstop
Ability to put duck tape over your air vent if you are not getting enough heat in your engine.
Ability to have DSG / and or Seq with Drop gears
Ability to press one key and save the whole replay

Personally I can take it / leave it with Day night, but rain would be nice, especially for racing in the UK :thumbsup:
More tracks. Brands Hatch is part of Motorsport Vision, but so is Oulton Park and Snetterton :thumbsup: although I understand this is one of the major expenses.
More Grass roots / FWD tin top racing cars.

But overall, I really enjoy AC, if i didn't I wouldn't be here :)

AC is my favorite sim followed by raceroom. After beeing a GTR2- and GTL-junkie for ten years (still really good sims btw) and evolving a deep love to GPL, AC is my actual every-day-sim. Day-/night- and weather-transition would make it perfect for me (GTR2s strong immersion). But then my compy would quit anyway.

AC-wise I really love the way the cars response while driving and their sensivity to setup-changes. The actual ai is great and modern GTs and historic racecars are very immersive. They all have their own personality to find out.

There is one more thing to mention: You can get really great mods for AC. The community is very busy, providing us with cool stuff. Thanks for that! Comming from GTR2 I thought for a long time that mods should be free of charge. I changed my mind here. I own the URD PX- and EGT-mods and the RSS F79-mod. They are outstanding in my opinion. F79 brought me back to formula-racing and thats already something.

I am looking forward to the things to come, be it from Kunos or the community.

I bought AC for its VR implementation (at the time RF2 did not have it). The VR implementation in AC is sublime. Love it. The app overlays work great in VR. The lock to horizon app works spot on. The world size appears perfect. In my rift I can slowly roll my head back and peer through the nose gap and my wheel and hands overlap perfectly with the virtual ones on screen. Freaks me out everytime. Another thing I can do is walk in and out of the car without taking the VR headset off because the seat of the virtual car is exactly where my seat is. Its nuts!
RF2 VR implementation is a bit of joke compared to what AC has done.

Now I still think I feel more connected to the road in RF2, but AC is a close second.

Online Racing, I think the netcode of RF2 is a bit superior but whats the use of a strong netcode if the servers are empty or worse populated by AI?!?
AC you usually are racing within a few minutes, mind you there is a lot more crashing and banging going on in AC online than what happens in RF2.

Overall, RF2 for monitor play but definitely AC for VR play.

In my rift I can slowly roll my head back and peer through the nose gap and my wheel and hands overlap perfectly with the virtual ones on screen.
Lol I do that all the time too. The problem I have sometimes is the seating position. My rig consists of a car seat hauled from a Toyota Prius so it feels very real driving a Cayenne, but when I drive a formula car I have to pull the handle to lie down a bit. I could spend 10 minutes before I set off driving, just to get things feel real XD

I like assettocorsa, although it feels like a err technical demo. It has improved a huge amount in the few years I've been sim racing. The ffb is sublime and it sure is a beautiful sim.

I hope the experience hasn't been too much of an ordeal for the devs, and if they started making assetto corsa 2 the hype would be massive, although I feel with pc2, forza 7 and Gran Tourismo all coming out shortly the market is going to get saturated for sure!

There's a lot coming that will benefit the casual and hardcore simmer, so it will be interesting to see which direction this sim will evolve in.

I liked your post Fordie Shaun fanboy :roflmao: ( really joking here )

This amused me ....

Is this request not a bit too much ? :whistling: :laugh: ... even if it really can for some racing cars
Finally somebody spotted it :roflmao::roflmao:

They actually did this at the Ginetta test, as I was like WTF are you doing covering the air vents. Yes this was not a request, it was a test to see who actually reads what people post :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 322 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 222 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 165 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 281 13.5%