Sim Discussion Monday – The Best Bits of Everything

AC: #1 Custom Championships every game should have these. While I really like Pcars 2, I hate getting passed by or passing AI cars that would never be on that track or racing against my selected car. This leads to feature number 2 in AC that I love, mods. I really appreciate the community on this site and others offering up their talent to provide mod tracks, skins, and cars. I can come close to a full WEC grid or IMSA grid with the correct liveries. Awesome stuff! Lastly, the FFB in AC is tops.

PCARS: #1 Weather and day night. Setting up a race to cover 24 hours in sixty minutes (should have 24x time factor, but 25x is close enough). Pit stop strategies as well as animated pit stops (the AC ones are OK, but these are bettter). Warming to FFB here.

Forza 7: I loved FM6 on xbox. I spent hours on that thing with a TX wheelbase clamped to the table. The the insanity started. Apex and the FM7 for PC were meh for me, but I do give it up to FM7 for the graphics.

If only I had time to dedicate to other titles, but an hour or two a day is easily filled with AC and PCars 2. I wish PCARS2 was more mod friendly and that AC had the weather and day/night. Maybe with the next updates :rolleyes:

GPL - Well you have to keep GPL up to date and faith Jim Pearson will release Isle of Man. IF that happens will be the biggest day of my sim life
Plus anyone not driven the new Spa is missing out on the most correct Historic version out there

GTL/ GTR2/ rFactor - Sheer content

rF2 - Best feel, physical experience and immersion I ever had

AC - TrackDay and the overall package is the best by long way

AMS - Unique content and the Historic circuits

DiRT Rally continues to be perfect for both ridiculously long sessions when I want to get some serious rally action in, and concise daily challenges when I just want to pop on to something and go unreasonably fast for a bit. The broad selection of cars and the rather nicely diverse and recognizable real-world (if exaggerated) stages make it a blast for any off-road mood that strikes me. Plus it got me watching World Rallycross, which has been brilliant.

NASCAR Heat Evolution may be a bit debatable sim-wise, but I appreciate that both it and NASCAR Racing 2003 Season truly understand the importance of competition in stock car racing, especially on ovals, and sport mostly fantastic AI that auto-adjust difficulty to your performance. I love that. I usually don't make a game harder on purpose with no incentive, but it makes working your way up all the more enticing. Doubly so for Dirt to Daytona where the career mode seemed structured around bumping it up yourself in later stages.

RACE 07's sheer bounty of different vehicle types and real race seasons, even before being bolstered by mods, never fails to impress me.

But no matter which title it is, I'm basically always chasing that high of rolling diecast cars around as a kid, and every time one of these titles recaptures that magic, it's worth it.

In no particular order,

GTL, still one of my all time favorites. No other game gives you the classics like GTL. I love driving the 50's and 60's cars. I grew up watching the Ferrari vs Ford years (I race a vintage car in real life). BoreckS LM Classic release is nothing short of outstanding. Brickyard Legends releases of the Group 5 and 70's IMSA GT machines are also great.

GTR2, same as GTL. The amount of mods available is just mind blowing. Mods for GTR2 can be ported to GTL or visa versa with just minimal changes to the files. Both GTL and GTR2 have an easy to understand class structure and you can easily build race groups and custom championships. GTR2 has one advantage over GTL, the amount of cars that can be run at any event. GTL is hard code limited to 36 cars, on some tracks in GTR2 you can run 50 or more cars. I can run the full 55 car field from the LeMans races.

rfactor. So many mods, So little time. A great game with, to me, one exception It may just be me, but I don't understand the file structure so adding cars from one mod to another is out of the question. File structure is difficult to understand.

AC and rfactor2, their both getting better, but, as incomplete games there are issues. I have purchased and joined as a user/developer these games and the Project cars one and two. Project cars one was a breakthrough and a disappointment at the same time. Graphics were great, physics were good but because they cannot be modded you have very limited content. PC2 has more content but still limited. Better than one but a little disappointing as so many cars re missing (60's F1(only the Lotus) 701's F1, 60's sports cars, well the list goes on). AC and rf2, who knows where their going to end up? They could become the best games or eventually fall flat. Right now AC seems to be the leader for me. It's easy to add cars and tracks. The car selector makes it easy to combine cars I a race (something still difficult in rf2). I'll wait a while longer (maybe they'll actually finish one of them) before I can decide which one I prefer.

rFactor 2: No.1 in tyres, AI, FFB, historic content, options and immersion
iRacing: No.1 in community, competition and VR
RRRE: No.1 in sound and welcoming new sim racers
AMS: No.1 in unique and interesting circuits
PCars: No.1 in in graphics
GPL: No.1 in making racing feel dangerous
AC: No.1 in road car selection
Real life racing: No.1 in cost and fun.

I just want all the Sim devs to do a "station" form a mega sim dev studio and give birth to the ultimate sim.

Graphics
PCars2, AC, GTsport (not got GTsport but it looks superb in vids)
Physics/ffb
PCars2, AC, AMS, RF2
Sound
R3E
Weather/Time of Day
PCars2
Career
PCars2, MGP15

F1 challenge 99-02.

Yes, the graphics are dogshit, but the huge amount of content and the fact that even the races (pitstops, even the weather can programmed down to the lap) can be realisticly altered and tweaked gives it an edge over all other racegames.

one thing i and probably others not count on being much cool feature is GTS' car showroom load screen that shows you a cool view of the cool car while load... i it think this is
......................(wait for it :ninja::thumbsup::whistling:).......................cool!

Probably won't rock the boat much here, but for the things that matter to me as an offline driver:

rF2: Physics, FFB, AI, race rules
pCARS2: GFX, weather, presentation, career
R3E: Sounds
AMS: Diverse content, developer interaction
AC: Modability

On the Community that you can have even serious disagreements over things going even so far as policy and still not tear each others throats out or name-calling.
Unlike a lot of other places.....

Sims

F1 2017: Career mode with R&D and the full rule set. (Also the improved handling over 2014.)
PCars 1 and 2: Dynamic Weather and easily set up MP sessions.
PCars 2: Day-Night Cycle+Lighting, the controllable slip, track and car variety. Also rating system.
AC: Mods and driving Physics, especially weight transfer.
R3E: Physics and the SOUNDS!!!! Also FRX-17, best F1 Car of 2017! ;) :p Also Licensed Series with their own rule-set, and even the fictional cars are great.
Track Atmosphere with the fans, they are a bit more alive than in the other sims.
Dirt Rally: Graphics, sounds, Differing Rallyes and CArs, and Group B!

Rfactor 1 (haven't driven 2 yet): Sheer ammount and variety of mod content for it.

Those that have it, dedicated servers.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years