Sim Coaching Discount | Driver61 Sim Pure Pace Masterclass

Yes, but then why booking a coaching by a racing driver for sim racing, if this is the case?
Simple one, simracing and real racing share the exact same principles of racing. Max Verstappen and Lando Norris prove that in their sim racing careers in rF2, iRacing. Ofcourse, physics might not be a 100% exact copy of real world in any sim, but if you do some practice to get used to that, your real world experience does make you faster in simming.

And coaching for real life racing =/= sim racing. In real life you die, if you don't know, what you are doing.
Or you are terribly slow if you don't know what you are doing. Yes real racing has more dangers but that changes absolutely nothing on what you need to do to be the fastest possible.

Addressing the elephant in the room here and I fully expect a ban, but do people genuinely pay for this stuff? It seems... kind of pathetic, no?

I got started with sims in the early 2000's, back when there was zero attempt at making this stuff accessible to the general public. Turning the driving line on was more than enough to get me up to speed and when I raced in leagues under my dad's name, I generally didn't make an arse of myself and most people didn't even know I was only 12 or 13. I really didn't think it was all that difficult.

With YouTube being so huge nowadays, anyone can sit down for 10-20 minutes during a lunchbreak and watch onboard laps of any car at any track, not to mention the countless videos on racecraft, theory, etc. This stuff is all free, by the way.

It kind of blows my mind that people would take things a step further and feel the need to pay for private coaching. Like, if you seriously can't figure out the concept of driving in a circle with the abundance of material already available, that you need to pay someone to be your friend on Teamspeak for an hour to hold your hand around the circuit, this might not be the hobby for you.

Especially since professional drivers are on record saying driver coaching is basically a giant scam and consists of being told "brake later, accelerate earlier."
That's totally not true. I work with companies that teach pretty good drivers to be even better drivers trough trainingprograms similar to this.
It's not about later braking and earlier on the throttle (you won't have any rubber left at the end of the stint).
Learning alternative ways to enter a corner, to line up perfectly for the next corner.
So you still have enough rubber left to do an attack at the end of a stint.
Learning to steer later than your intuition tells you, to turn shortly and than immidiatly driving in the right direction so a non TC car can still get on full throttle.
Where doing the old style apex only makes the moment when you can go full on the throttle take longer.
How to setup the car so you feel confident on the edge.
You been driving for 20 years, so it seems all pretty straightforward by now.
People that are not yet fully in to racing and even veterans can learn in days what otherwise could take years to master.

Last edited:
That's totally not true. I work with companies that teach pretty good drivers to be even better drivers trough trainingprograms similar to this.
It's not about later braking and earlier on the throttle (you won't have any rubber left at the end of the stint).
Leaning alternative ways to enter a corner, to line up perfectly for the next corner.
So you still have enough rubber left to do an attack at the end of a stint.
Learning to steer later than your intuition tells you, to turn shortly and than immidiatly driving in the right direction so a non TC car can still get on full throttle.
Where doing the old style apex only makes the moment when you can go full on the throttle take longer.
How to setup the car so you feel confident on the edge.
You been driving for 20 years, so it seems all pretty straightforward by now.
People that are not yet fully in to racing and even veterans can learn in days what otherwise could take years to master.

Lots of discussion here about coaching IRL drivers. Those drivers make a living (or invest a lot) by racing, it's their job. And the drivers' employers (teams, factories) also need to make sure they get the best results possible. Training is extremely limited and lots of money, equipment, people's jobs are at stake. It's only natural they use every tool to gain an advantage (or keep up with the competition). And they should.

Question is, who is it for in simracing?

Lots of discussion here about coaching IRL drivers. Those drivers make a living (or invest a lot) by racing, it's their job. And the drivers' employers (teams, factories) also need to make sure they get the best results possible. Training is extremely limited and lots of money, equipment, people's jobs are at stake. It's only natural they use every tool to gain an advantage (or keep up with the competition). And they should.

Question is, who is it for in simracing?
Anybody who is interested. Same goes for normal racing, mister Joe Average Kart Racer who races for fun could also want a coach to learn some stuff. He might not be able to afford an F1 level coach but he could still want a coach for his fun. As long as he want to spend the money any driver coach asks he is fine. And mister driver coach could have it as side job to teach people a thing or two for four hours a week.

I have trained hundreds of starting sim racers online in the last 15 years via the RD Driver Academy and I need to run into the first person who hasn't speed up at all during a private session.

You can do a few things in sim racing to become better
  • Read guides, books, forums, discords and watch a gazillion videos on Youtube = this costs the most time and you don't get any personal feedback of what you are doing wrong. You will most likely never figure out your mistakes. Most time consuming option.
  • Race online as much as you can. Racing humans is always better than offline A.I. Moderately time consuming.
  • Personal training. Already a single basic session explaining fundamental parts of racing plus private feedback what you are doing wrong is the least time consuming option and a great short cut.
If personal guidance and training wouldn't work let's close kindergarden, colleges and universities as well.

Simple one, simracing and real racing share the exact same principles of racing. Max Verstappen and Lando Norris prove that in their sim racing careers in rF2, iRacing.
They are raised on the simulator....
Ofcourse, physics might not be a 100% exact copy of real world in any sim, but if you do some practice to get used to that, your real world experience does make you faster in simming.
The opposite often was the case...Sims prepared for IRL stuff, while IRL drivers had more struggle, coming into the sim.
Or you are terribly slow if you don't know what you are doing.
Yeah and knowledge is out there a looot, to rectify it.
If personal guidance and training wouldn't work let's close kindergarden, colleges and universities as well.
Apples and pears.

Last edited:
Anybody who is interested. Same goes for normal racing, mister Joe Average Kart Racer who races for fun could also want a coach to learn some stuff. He might not be able to afford an F1 level coach but he could still want a coach for his fun. As long as he want to spend the money any driver coach asks he is fine. And mister driver coach could have it as side job to teach people a thing or two for four hours a week.
I fully understand your point. I have no doubts it can help. I am sure it would help me as well. I might have to ask a different question to explain what I mean. People who might take advantage of coaching do simracing as a hobby (not eSports aliens for sure). Do you think some people take this hobby a bit too seriously? And I ask this while I check multiple forums every day and at least try to drive almost every day (there is no time for racing very often). I do wish I had a bit better equipment than my T300 to improve immersion, but I cannot imagine a situation that would lead me to use the services of coaches.

I know I've benefited significantly having a Coca-Cola eNASCAR series pro driver on my team in iRacing. Sometimes it's just small things that you can do better that you don't/won't realize until someone watches you and points them out. Only when you know you have a problem can you begin to work on improving.
I also agree that seat time against real drivers is way more valuable than against AI. Even the best AI are too predictable. With humans you never know what's going to happen next and you have to be prepared to deal with it.

Do you think some people take this hobby a bit too seriously? And I ask this while I check multiple forums every day and at least try to drive almost every day (there is no time for racing very often).
I do, for example ^^'...it has the same status for me, like playing guitar, this sometimes makes me cringe myself, but i absolutely love (and sometimes hate) pretending to race cars. :D

I think, this has several reasons, one could be: The act of driving is closer to the "real act of doing it" in sim racing, than other forms of videogaming, like shooters, strategy or football, so the illusion of "actually doing this" is higher. I for myself just love race cars, but can't afford them. :D

(i would definetly take at least a safety coaching, if i want to start racing something IRL besides rental karts, but never had the urge to do it for sim racing, but again: whatever float your boats guys, maybe some of the simracers can benefit of it^^)

Last edited:
I do, for example ^^'...it has the same status for me, like playing guitar, this sometimes makes me cringe myself, but i absolutely love (and sometimes hate) pretending to race cars. :D

I think, this has several reasons, one could be: The act of driving is closer to the "real act of doing it" in sim racing, than other forms of videogaming, like shooters, strategy or football, so the illusion of "actually doing this" is higher. I for myself just love race cars, but can't afford them. :D

(i would definetly take at least a safety coaching, if i want to start racing something IRL besides rental karts, but never had the urge to do it for sim racing, but again: whatever float your boats guys, maybe some of the simracers can benefit of it^^)
I am exactly in the same boat, I know I cannot afford racing and simracing is as close as it gets for a relatively affordable price. And in case I could (keep dreaming...) start racing IRL I would certainly take advantage of coaching.

My opinion is from someone that has diligently spent time studying this past time for the last 2 years ( Sad old git).:(
All I can say is that top class coaching would have made huge in-roads to the time it took me to become an average sim racer. Constantly having to sort the wheat from the chaff, constantly going down fruitless paths, constant waste of time on some things.
I could now probably, if it were possible, re teach myself everything in three weeks, just by ignoring all the wasted time chasing the pointless.
Ok, a bit of exaggeration, but not that far from the truth.
And if you think I have some ulterior motive for backing coaching you would be wrong about that, I could really have plenty to say about that in a negative way, but luckily it is not possible or wise to tar everyone with the same brush.
So good coaching at all levels is extremely useful in my opinion.

And another thing, there really is not all that much difference between simracing and real racing, unless you want to pick just one or two aspects of it and just focus on that.
And before you mention the danger aspect of it, you could always get your wife to whack you on the head at random times with a hammer, that should inject a bit of danger into the proceedings. ( I'm sure she would be up for it ):roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I fully understand your point. I have no doubts it can help. I am sure it would help me as well. I might have to ask a different question to explain what I mean. People who might take advantage of coaching do simracing as a hobby (not eSports aliens for sure). Do you think some people take this hobby a bit too seriously? And I ask this while I check multiple forums every day and at least try to drive almost every day (there is no time for racing very often). I do wish I had a bit better equipment than my T300 to improve immersion, but I cannot imagine a situation that would lead me to use the services of coaches.
To dive into your question even further. When does taking it seriously become taking it too seriously?
As long as you can afford the time and money and it gives you the happiness you seek then go ahead. And if you want that extra bit of guidance then be my guest.
Everything is based on a voluntary basis. You don't have to take a training, but there are people who want it. In response a market starts to form for coaches.

To answer your question, yes probably there will be people taking it too seriously (read: it becomes downright destructive for those time or money wise), but that is not related to just Simracing. Addictions lie everywhere I suppose.

It is a hobby, I like spending money for it - if coaching enhances my personal experience, I gladly pay for it. So what is the point of this discussion again... ?
If it enhances the personal experience. :D

We are spoiled brats, privileged enough to have the opportunity racing on our home device with race cars, let us have pointless discussions about it, mate! :D

So? If I am too lazy to spend 20 hour reading theory and there is the ability a 2 hour session where a coach tells me exactly what I need. If I can afford it then why shouldn't I? Because some CrimsonEminence user doesn't feel it necessary?
I nowhere said, you shouldn't. (EDIT: but yes, maybe the individual way is faster, i never said otherwise)

The CrimsonCringe user doesn't want to push the Ricoow User to anything. Sounds pretty passive agressive now, i think, we should end this discussion. We shared "opinions" and now it leads into accusations... :O_o:

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 304 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years