Alright when was that again.....?

Today, we wish a happy 97th Birthday to Graeme Murray Walker OBE.

(He deserves so much more than an OBE).

Happy Birthday Murray, and I hope you are watching a race somewhere to celebrate.

We even had to sign disclaimers at the beginning of each karting season at Club100.
Motorsport is dangerous, even in 70-80mph karts on smaller circuits. Of course, as a racing driver you never think of the danger, you just try to go as quickly as possible, regardless of the conditions
That is a weird statement. I have read and seen multiple interviews by such drivers as Prost, Lauda, Stewart, Hill amongst others that they did think about danger. Current F1 drivers have certainly less to worry about, but when you hear their radio chat danger is something they are totally mindful.

Last edited:
Actually.

No.

F1 hasn't been to this track since 2013, before the hybrid era. Should be a great show and very interesting to see the pecking order.

But seeing as you aren't even interested in F1 i don't expect you to understand that.

I had been watching it since 81 when Alan Jones increased awareness in the sport. Been in the paddock club many times (was not cheap!) But alas, I have started to get very tired of it.. Glad you still find it entertaining. I think its become a complete pile of predictable crap personally. Too many safety cars, too much run off, too much pandering and look what the weather change did for the spectacle.. No practice at all.

Last edited:
That is a weird statement. I have read and seen multiple interviews by such drivers as Prost, Lauda, Stewart, Hill amongst others that they did think about danger. Current F1 drivers have certainly less to worry about, but when you hear their radio chat danger is something they are totally mindful.
Not really.
Listen to some interviews on F1 The Grid, with past and current F1 drivers. Yes they are aware of the dangers, as we all are, but it fades away due to their love of the sport, chasing lap times or their opponents.
Some even say that when they think too much of the dangers, they would probably quit or have quit the sport earlier.
Seriously, listen to some interviews before you tell me that what I said, from personal experience too, is weird.

Last edited:
Not really.
Listen to some interviews on F1 The Grid, with past and current F1 drivers. Yes they are aware of the dangers, as we all are, but it fades away due to their love of the sport, chasing lap times or their opponents.
Some even say that when they think too much of the dangers, they would probably quit or have quit the sport earlier.
Seriously, listen to some interviews before you tell me that what I said, from personal experience too, is weird.
I don't want to drag this further off topic, but fear and sense of danger are two different things. They would quit if they had fear, but they would act stupid and reckless if they didn't think about danger.

Not really.

But your personal experience seems to be rental karts...
There is danger on a roller coaster and far more danger driving around on the roads everyday....

Every single human has the ability to drown out fears of danger and death even just on a subconscious level...

Again i point to driving on the roads.... it is not just some innate skill that you and f1 driver possess.

Last edited:
I don't want to drag this further off topic, but fear and sense of danger are two different things. They would quit if they had fear, but they would act stupid and reckless if they didn't think about danger.
Ok...
Really don't think that you can say grown men would act stupid and reckless if they didn't think about danger. You can understand danger, you don't have to fear it to respect it.
These guys respect it and they understand the risks. Just because they compartmentalise it somewhere else, as we all do when racing for real, it doesnt mean they become idiots.
I literally still don't understand why you call my statement weird. It was not only from personal experience but also from the mouths of racing drivers in Formula 1.

There is danger on a roller coaster and far more danger driving around on the roads everyday....

Every single human has the ability to drown out fears of danger and death even just on a subconscious level...

Again i point to driving on the roads.... it is not just some innate skill that you and f1 driver possess.
Rental karts that go 70+ mph is still 70+mph, it doesnt soften the blow if you hit something at 70 in an arrive and drive kart vs a 125cc kart you own doing 70+mph.
I'm just highlighting the fact that when you're racing and especially competing, you don't think of the danger. It literally doesn't cross your mind during a race. That's all. As others have said.
Seriously didn't think a pretty nothing comment could spark this kind of attention. But anyways carry on

Oh this is morbid, but I'll continue

In the event of a fatal accident then the helicopter would not be employed, as the driver would have already been declared dead by the onsite medical staff. The onsite medical staff are professionals in dealing with serious injuries and trauma - no injured driver will be going anywhere until they are stable enough to be transported, be that by air or ground.

I do get your point, however races are, and have always been conducted in a variety of weather, some of which would make an airlift impossible even though the actual driving would be relatively unaffected.

Racing drivers, like mountain climbers, base jumpers, skydivers, skiers and snowboarders all know there is an inherent risk in what they do and that their activities could result in injury or death, and also that rescue may not come in time. I'll bet that all drivers have waiver signed that exonerates their team and the FIA in such a situation, unless significant negligence can be shown on the part of the team or the FIA.

You can't have motor racing without risk taking.
There is probably fine print that says you cant put a car on the track unless the helicopter can land at hospital just in case something bad happens to a driver. If we had the practice and someone was injured seriously, a law suit would occur and FIA will be blamed for letting session happen. Drivers and teams can refuse to go out. If we where in the 50's or 60's no body will care but the sport is more sanitized with safety regulations. Personally i don't care about dying but some people in F1 are scared of it.

A driver or any other athlete has fear, they don't show it. It is a part of all humans. To much fear that is dangerous and can lead to psychological problems. So athletes are disciplined to be positive in car or to media. Behind closed doors they probably sob like babies. Just watch movie Senna at the funeral. The drivers carrying Senna's caskett to the alter.

Rental karts that go 70+ mph is still 70+mph, it doesnt soften the blow if you hit something at 70 in an arrive and drive kart vs a 125cc kart you own doing 70+mph.
I'm just highlighting the fact that when you're racing and especially competing, you don't think of the danger. It literally doesn't cross your mind during a race. That's all. As others have said.
Seriously didn't think a pretty nothing comment could spark this kind of attention. But anyways carry on

You didn't think likening yourself to F1 drivers because you drove a rental kart at 70mph wouldn't get you any attention...you sure?

There is as much danger as riding a bike down a hill...so what? Danger is everywhere.

I haven't had the chance to listen closely to it all, but I did hear parts of it, and saw a picture of a open-wheeler-tub with the iZone logo on it.
I'm surprised that Priaulx didn't talk more about that (though, it would've been seen as advertising I guess). He did develop iZone Driver Performance, which is one of the UK's leading driver training facilites. They got different training rooms, mental and psych-work, a gym specially made for motorsport and three different simulators, from karting to F1. They got eye-tracking, HR-monitoring etc. to monitor how the drivers act and react. It's an awesome place, and in hindsight I guess I should've taken more pictures, but even with my fairly short session there, I learned quite a lot!

0Rndkdi.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 113 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 291 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing