Alright when was that again.....?

Got up to watch practice and it was wet and grey. The problem is you in the event of a fatal accident the driver would have to be put in helicopter and it is hard to land at nearby hospital roof in poor visibility. The lawsuit on FIA would be steep if a driver succumbed to permanent injury or even death. It should be ok for qualifying on Saturday. I hope FIA let Mick Schumacher can have a run in Alpha Romeo as he could not go out in practice.

So medical helicopter(s) unable to fly while cam-copter making a fly-over those...hmm
Edit: apparently due to even denser fog around the hospital.

Besides, yesterday I voted a German for the return on a German track :D
It is not flying the helicopter it is landing in a hospital that is hard as it is on a roof. The chance of a fatal accident is slim. The last time a driver needed serious medical attention was Antoine Hubert at Spa in a F3 or F2 race.

Got up to watch practice and it was wet and grey. The problem is you in the event of a fatal accident the driver would have to be put in helicopter and it is hard to land at nearby hospital roof in poor visibility. The lawsuit on FIA would be steep if a driver succumbed to permanent injury or even death. It should be ok for qualifying on Saturday. I hope FIA let Mick Schumacher can have a run in Alpha Romeo as he could not go out in practice.

Oh this is morbid, but I'll continue

In the event of a fatal accident then the helicopter would not be employed, as the driver would have already been declared dead by the onsite medical staff. The onsite medical staff are professionals in dealing with serious injuries and trauma - no injured driver will be going anywhere until they are stable enough to be transported, be that by air or ground.

I do get your point, however races are, and have always been conducted in a variety of weather, some of which would make an airlift impossible even though the actual driving would be relatively unaffected.

Racing drivers, like mountain climbers, base jumpers, skydivers, skiers and snowboarders all know there is an inherent risk in what they do and that their activities could result in injury or death, and also that rescue may not come in time. I'll bet that all drivers have waiver signed that exonerates their team and the FIA in such a situation, unless significant negligence can be shown on the part of the team or the FIA.

You can't have motor racing without risk taking.

My God!! FP1 and 2 had me on the edge of my seat. Don't miss it!!

On another note I assume the most votes for Lewis are from his fans here at RD but seriously, do you really want a boring race and a championship for practical purposes sewn up? How about some love for other drivers? Maybe a break-through win for a young driver or one last win for Kimi in horrible conditions with him cursing expletives every lap as he sails by everyone from last on the grid and all just because he's p***ed off? ;)

A thought that keeps occurring to me: electric cars don't sound great, but they've already killed the sound of F1 engines, so what's left to miss...?

What's stopping them from artificially reproducing a screaming v10 sound and amplifying that as a simulated exhaust sound? Who would care if the cars were electric if they sounded great?

What's stopping them from artificially reproducing a screaming v10 sound and amplifying that as a simulated exhaust sound? Who would care if the cars were electric if they sounded great?
Yeah, I think that's been proposed before and probably semi-seriously.
I suspect it'd need FIA-regulated sound systems though, cos - wild guess time! - the power requirements to sound anything like a "real F1 car" are probably tens of kilowatts. Cue kiddies asking "daddy why are the quiet cars faster than the noisy cars?" :D

A thought that keeps occurring to me: electric cars don't sound great, but they've already killed the sound of F1 engines, so what's left to miss...?

I love the noises of old(er) cars. Just like every year in Rally Sweden, I am really really enjoying the historic class, the variety of cars and sounds are amazing.

However. I must admit, when I saw F1 in Singapore in 2017. I had no issues with the sounds at all. Yes it was slightly weird that the best sound, might've been the Porsche Cup... At the same time, it was nice to be there, not having to use earbuds etc.
Yes I would love a screaming V12 to make me almost dribble downstairs, but damn it was enjoyable being able to talk with my dad (and tell him stuff I managed to pick up, and he didn't), without much issue.

Sometime after EV takes ICE track records
By then young audience attention span will be 10 minutes
Shorter multi race weekends maybe even 4 ....more first corners more points more chances .....all make for better spectacle ... IMUO In my uneducated opinion :coffee:
Oh and by then you will watch at track or home in VR "surround 360" :x3:

Last edited:
Last edited:
sebinwet.jpg

I'll bet that all drivers have waiver signed that exonerates their team and the FIA in such a situation, unless significant negligence can be shown on the part of the team or the FIA.

You can't have motor racing without risk taking.
We even had to sign disclaimers at the beginning of each karting season at Club100.
Motorsport is dangerous, even in 70-80mph karts on smaller circuits. Of course, as a racing driver you never think of the danger, you just try to go as quickly as possible, regardless of the conditions

RaceDepartment sits down and chats with ETCC and three-time World Touring Car Champion Andy Priaulx about the world of virtual motorsports.

Anyone with even half an interest in tin top racing should be familiar with the name Andy Priaulx. One of the most successful touring car drivers in the history of the sport, Priaulx holds the distinction of being the only FIA Touring Car champion to win an international-level championship for four consecutive years during his BMW stint in the early - mid 2000's, prior to moving into the world of endurance racing with the factory Ford squad from 2015.

As well as enjoying an enviable career on the racetrack in a variety of machinery, Priaulx is also something of an avid sim racer - so we thought it would be nice to have a chat with the 45-year-old Guernseyman about his thoughts on the world of virtual motorsport, and experiences racing we such famous names as Mario Andretti and Emerson Fittipaldi.

Just prior to recording this video, Priaulx announced his intention to step down from his World Touring Car Cup commitments with Lynk & Co Cyan Racing, instead focusing his attention on the racing career of his son, Sebastian. In light of this announcement, we took the opportunity to find out what comes next in the career of one of the most successful drivers in British motorsport, and to find out if sim racing has a big future for the 2004, 05, 06 and 07 WTCC champion.

Andy Priaulx Career Highlights:
  • 1995 | British Hillclimb - Champion
  • 1998 | Formula Palmer Audi - 2nd
  • 1999 | Renault Spider Cup - Champion
  • 2001 | Macau Grand Prix - 2nd
  • 2003 | FIA ETCC - 3rd
  • 2004 | FIA ETCC - Champion
  • 2005 | FIA WTCC - Champion
  • 2006 | FIA WTCC - Champion
  • 2007 | FIA WTCC - Champion
  • 2011 | FIA Intercontinental LM Cup - 2nd
  • 2011 | Le Mans 24 Hours - 3rd
  • 2015 | European Le Mans - 2nd
  • 2017 | FIA WEC - 3rd
  • 2017 | Le Mans 24 Hours - 2nd
  • 2019 | Le Mans 24 Hours - 4th
If you enjoyed this video, check out more awesome sim racing related content on the RaceDepartment YouTube here. Don't forget to like and subscribe!

Andy Priaulx Footer 1.jpg

Andy Priaulx Footer 3.jpg

Harvest GP's were awesome, really like race in 30 minutes

What is impressive is the consistency and race craft of these young guys
they barely a mistake, unlike F1 rookies

The series is really clicking, so much fun to watch!

It's funny, they've raced at Indy GP four times this year now...I'm not saying I want to make a habit out of it, but it really hasn't felt tedious at all to me. The action is just so good, it doesn't seem like a big deal, I'm just happy to be watching.

Pretty stark contrast with F1. I don't quite feel this way myself, but sometimes with the F1 fanbase, it feels like they only run two tracks:

1. Spa
2. God this track sucks

But I think it's really a function of the racing having gotten so blah. If we had a proper 3 way championship battle going on...heck, if we had ANY kind of championship battle...I'm not sure the angst against tracks like Sochi (which surely isn't a great track) would be anywhere near the same level.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 326 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%