Upcoming Events

Rookie friendly WTCR sereis Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT4 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP
RaceDepartment sits down and chats with ETCC and three-time World Touring Car Champion Andy Priaulx about the world of virtual motorsports.

Anyone with even half an interest in tin top racing should be familiar with the name Andy Priaulx. One of the most successful touring car drivers in the history of the sport, Priaulx holds the distinction of being the only FIA Touring Car champion to win an international-level championship for four consecutive years during his BMW stint in the early - mid 2000's, prior to moving into the world of endurance racing with the factory Ford squad from 2015.

As well as enjoying an enviable career on the racetrack in a variety of machinery, Priaulx is also something of an avid sim racer - so we thought it would be nice to have a chat with the 45-year-old Guernseyman about his thoughts on the world of virtual motorsport, and experiences racing we such famous names as Mario Andretti and Emerson Fittipaldi.

Just prior to recording this video, Priaulx announced his intention to step down from his World Touring Car Cup commitments with Lynk & Co Cyan Racing, instead focusing his attention on the racing career of his son, Sebastian. In light of this announcement, we took the opportunity to find out what comes next in the career of one of the most successful drivers in British motorsport, and to find out if sim racing has a big future for the 2004, 05, 06 and 07 WTCC champion.

Andy Priaulx Career Highlights:
  • 1995 | British Hillclimb - Champion
  • 1998 | Formula Palmer Audi - 2nd
  • 1999 | Renault Spider Cup - Champion
  • 2001 | Macau Grand Prix - 2nd
  • 2003 | FIA ETCC - 3rd
  • 2004 | FIA ETCC - Champion
  • 2005 | FIA WTCC - Champion
  • 2006 | FIA WTCC - Champion
  • 2007 | FIA WTCC - Champion
  • 2011 | FIA Intercontinental LM Cup - 2nd
  • 2011 | Le Mans 24 Hours - 3rd
  • 2015 | European Le Mans - 2nd
  • 2017 | FIA WEC - 3rd
  • 2017 | Le Mans 24 Hours - 2nd
  • 2019 | Le Mans 24 Hours - 4th
If you enjoyed this video, check out more awesome sim racing related content on the RaceDepartment YouTube here. Don't forget to like and subscribe!

Andy Priaulx Footer 1.jpg

Andy Priaulx Footer 3.jpg

Great video! I enjoyed it a lot, I would love to see Andy in the BTCC with a proper effort to go after the title in a BMW :)

BP

Premium
For me i was intrigued when he talked about the oversteer state compare to real. Sim racing seems from what i took from that video a little over senstitive to oversteer, and hence his son was overcompensating this fact and was upsetting the car in doing so....

however great video!

Shhhh I didn't wanna give everything away lol

What strikes me as odd, is why sim developers have not tapped into this resource.
These guys clearly like simracing and do it as a hobby but also for the competitiveness associated with it.
I heard the name Rfactor (I'll assume RF2) mentioned frequently during that interview.
You've got a guy like Emmerson Fittipaldi saying the car does not feel anything like his actual car felt. He then proceeds to plug the numbers in and get it feeling like it should.
Why is S397 and other developers not taking advantage of that information by having those guys submit the setups after they perfect them?
Those can then be used as the 'gold standard' for development.
These guys have...after all, driven the cars and know what they should feel like.
Seems like a missed opportunity.

Last edited: