AC Show yourself thread... get to meet the ppl you race with in AC!

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Hello to all! My handle is EZWriter, but my name is Jon DeMent. I've applied to Bram for the magic simracing.gp permit and I'm planning on at least popping onto the practice server for a couple of the shorter races (that I'm glad to see coming up several days a week now), so I thought I should introduce myself. Plus, sometimes I can't help myself from interjecting a comment or two, and this way you can at least know who the bleep that is. Plus, Geeky Deaks' post made me realize again that there are a lot of bike guys in this group.
So. Me. At 70, I am ten years retired after 30 years working, and now I spend most of my time writing fiction - so far pretty exclusively for my own enjoyment. I've won a prize or two, but no offers of meaningful publication. C'est la vie. Don't let the French fool you, lol, I am a damned Yankee. A blue-coated one, but a Yank nonetheless.
My avatar and the pic below are of my last street bike, an amazingly capable 2001 Honda VFR800FI. It was maxed out with suspension and handling upgrades, easily the finest machine I ever rode. Thieves stole it, and the chain and lock, and the post it was chained to, from a hotel parking lot in New Mexico. Didn't bother cutting the chain, just yanked the post from the ground and took it with the bike, lifted it into the back of a truck, detective said they could truly be there and gone in sixty seconds. My heart just wasn't into riding any more anyway, 7/10ths pace and hyper-vigilant just isn't the way I want to ride, and the empty hole in my heart from the loss of the bike meant spending all the time and money to replace it just wasn't worth it. And to replace it with anything less just wasn't acceptable. So I've been on four wheels ever since.

1615319960254.png

My first bike, in 1968, was an old, even for then, clapped out Triumph flat tracker single, I couldn't even tell you now whether it was a Tiger or Trophy or what. I'm a Honda guy, since the first Interceptor. Unfortunately for me, my luck ran out and I had a big off in 1986 that ended my racing hobby and left me with with the classic old roadracer's both-legged limp and residual hardware, but didn't keep me and the V4 above from a track day or ten and riding the roads around the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia USA, and those around Palomar Mountain in San Diego County, USA, truly two of the richest areas for twisty roads on the continent, where I was blessed to live for a decade or so each. Sadly, I now live in the bleak prairie of central Minnesota, USA, where pretty much the only curves are traffic circles and freeway ramps.
I never raced on four wheels, at least on the track. My four wheel recreation has been in a series of MR2's and RX7's and 8's, with the sole remaining fun vehicle to my name at this point a wonderfully refined but still appropriately raucous RX8 with 160K miles on it (and now running on its third engine, of course).
I've sim-raced since GPLegends, with what must have been thousands of hours on rF1, but arthritic battered old hands keep me from more than a half-hour at a time at most at the wheel these days (even my old TX heavily padded with handlebar tape). I love AC and ACC, however, and still manage to spend many hours a week at it, especially of course since the virus limitations.
I found the RD site a couple of years ago, and then this AC GT3 bunch, and have often mirrored your weekly sessions off-line. It's a great way to not get stale, try a lot of different tracks, and with replays of the races as seen through the world-record holder's VR goggles (incredibly generous of you to post those and volunteer your setups, incidentally, Mr. Down), it's a humbling way to keep track of one's true pace. Which is, in my case, as it's been since those GPL and rF1 days, about 105% of those at the front here (who I will not call the A-word, those at the front here and irl have to have not just talent, but relentless determination and remarkable concentration under pressure). I'm a 105 percenter. As in, compared to the very fastest, I am, at my best, consistently turning 03-105% of their lap time, any track any car anywhere. I simply don't have the touch, at my limit of skill and even with studied preparation and dedicated practice, to carry that elite level of speed through a corner. Consistent, safe, fast enough not to be an impediment, a mid-packer, but a 105%'er. That's probably also a compliment to the simulation, because in retrospect, even without the advantage of superior equipment for the factory guys, that's probably about the same amount I was slower when I raced! I'd do 1:35, they'd do 1:30. Same with ACC now, the RDGT top quali was low 1:57, my best hotlap is low 2:01. 105%.
So there it is. A way way way too long intro for a mate in spirit who you still aren't apt to see on track too often. But if you do, be aware that I've read and totally endorse the rules, especially the Historic Racer's Gentlemen's racer's rules, and while the ACC ratings-Big-Brother spy isn't impressed with my pace it thinks my "racecraft" and track knowledge are worth a 99, and my sole goal when I do race is to enjoy the rush and the ride and maybe pass a person or two while not wrecking it for the fast guys or anyone else. Hey, again, just like when I was racing...
I know from my lurking that there are a few other relics from those great old days driving here, all of whom are significantly faster than I --- impressively fast compared to anyone, for that matter --- so I promise, I will never use the number of years on this old chassis as an excuse for lack of performance. lol, I'm that last thing you want to see on a race track or a golf course, old and slow and new to the course. At least I'm not wearing cowboy boots...
Oh, I guess most everyone has posted shots of their "rig", mine's a TX wheel with the Fanatec load-sensor pedals bolted to an old TV-display stand with an LCD 4K 55" screen, and I sit in an old broken reclining chair propped into proper position with a plastic crate.
Cheers, might see you out there, after I get all the paperwork stuff completed.
EZ (Jon)

Hello to all! My handle is EZWriter, but my name is Jon DeMent. I've applied to Bram for the magic simracing.gp permit and I'm planning on at least popping onto the practice server for a couple of the shorter races (that I'm glad to see coming up several days a week now), so I thought I should introduce myself. Plus, sometimes I can't help myself from interjecting a comment or two, and this way you can at least know who the bleep that is. Plus, Geeky Deaks' post made me realize again that there are a lot of bike guys in this group.
So. Me. At 70, I am ten years retired after 30 years working, and now I spend most of my time writing fiction - so far pretty exclusively for my own enjoyment. I've won a prize or two, but no offers of meaningful publication. C'est la vie. Don't let the French fool you, lol, I am a damned Yankee. A blue-coated one, but a Yank nonetheless.
My avatar and the pic below are of my last street bike, an amazingly capable 2001 Honda VFR800FI. It was maxed out with suspension and handling upgrades, easily the finest machine I ever rode. Thieves stole it, and the chain and lock, and the post it was chained to, from a hotel parking lot in New Mexico. Didn't bother cutting the chain, just yanked the post from the ground and took it with the bike, lifted it into the back of a truck, detective said they could truly be there and gone in sixty seconds. My heart just wasn't into riding any more anyway, 7/10ths pace and hyper-vigilant just isn't the way I want to ride, and the empty hole in my heart from the loss of the bike meant spending all the time and money to replace it just wasn't worth it. And to replace it with anything less just wasn't acceptable. So I've been on four wheels ever since.

View attachment 453137
My first bike, in 1968, was an old, even for then, clapped out Triumph flat tracker single, I couldn't even tell you now whether it was a Tiger or Trophy or what. I'm a Honda guy, since the first Interceptor. Unfortunately for me, my luck ran out and I had a big off in 1986 that ended my racing hobby and left me with with the classic old roadracer's both-legged limp and residual hardware, but didn't keep me and the V4 above from a track day or ten and riding the roads around the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia USA, and those around Palomar Mountain in San Diego County, USA, truly two of the richest areas for twisty roads on the continent, where I was blessed to live for a decade or so each. Sadly, I now live in the bleak prairie of central Minnesota, USA, where pretty much the only curves are traffic circles and freeway ramps.
I never raced on four wheels, at least on the track. My four wheel recreation has been in a series of MR2's and RX7's and 8's, with the sole remaining fun vehicle to my name at this point a wonderfully refined but still appropriately raucous RX8 with 160K miles on it (and now running on its third engine, of course).
I've sim-raced since GPLegends, with what must have been thousands of hours on rF1, but arthritic battered old hands keep me from more than a half-hour at a time at most at the wheel these days (even my old TX heavily padded with handlebar tape). I love AC and ACC, however, and still manage to spend many hours a week at it, especially of course since the virus limitations.
I found the RD site a couple of years ago, and then this AC GT3 bunch, and have often mirrored your weekly sessions off-line. It's a great way to not get stale, try a lot of different tracks, and with replays of the races as seen through the world-record holder's VR goggles (incredibly generous of you to post those and volunteer your setups, incidentally, Mr. Down), it's a humbling way to keep track of one's true pace. Which is, in my case, as it's been since those GPL and rF1 days, about 105% of those at the front here (who I will not call the A-word, those at the front here and irl have to have not just talent, but relentless determination and remarkable concentration under pressure). I'm a 105 percenter. As in, compared to the very fastest, I am, at my best, consistently turning 03-105% of their lap time, any track any car anywhere. I simply don't have the touch, at my limit of skill and even with studied preparation and dedicated practice, to carry that elite level of speed through a corner. Consistent, safe, fast enough not to be an impediment, a mid-packer, but a 105%'er. That's probably also a compliment to the simulation, because in retrospect, even without the advantage of superior equipment for the factory guys, that's probably about the same amount I was slower when I raced! I'd do 1:35, they'd do 1:30. Same with ACC now, the RDGT top quali was low 1:57, my best hotlap is low 2:01. 105%.
So there it is. A way way way too long intro for a mate in spirit who you still aren't apt to see on track too often. But if you do, be aware that I've read and totally endorse the rules, especially the Historic Racer's Gentlemen's racer's rules, and while the ACC ratings-Big-Brother spy isn't impressed with my pace it thinks my "racecraft" and track knowledge are worth a 99, and my sole goal when I do race is to enjoy the rush and the ride and maybe pass a person or two while not wrecking it for the fast guys or anyone else. Hey, again, just like when I was racing...
I know from my lurking that there are a few other relics from those great old days driving here, all of whom are significantly faster than I --- impressively fast compared to anyone, for that matter --- so I promise, I will never use the number of years on this old chassis as an excuse for lack of performance. lol, I'm that last thing you want to see on a race track or a golf course, old and slow and new to the course. At least I'm not wearing cowboy boots...
Oh, I guess most everyone has posted shots of their "rig", mine's a TX wheel with the Fanatec load-sensor pedals bolted to an old TV-display stand with an LCD 4K 55" screen, and I sit in an old broken reclining chair propped into proper position with a plastic crate.
Cheers, might see you out there, after I get all the paperwork stuff completed.
EZ (Jon)
Hi Jon, amazing story :thumbsup: ! Great read!
But a suggestion to you as a former MR2 owner. Why don't you join us on Wednesday for the MX5Cup races? They are far less demanding as the GT3 so they probably are a better match for you with your limitations. And the races are always fun for every level of skill.

@EZWriter
Thought I would just say how much I like your bike, my last motorcycle was a Honda fire blade, the first one, holes in the fairing. Nothing but praise for the quality of Honda, but I was getting ancient and decided to leave motorcycles on a high.
I would buy one and keep it in the lounge if I could, unfortunately she who must be obeyed would not allow it. :(

@EZWriter
Thought I would just say how much I like your bike, my last motorcycle was a Honda fire blade, the first one, holes in the fairing. Nothing but praise for the quality of Honda, but I was getting ancient and decided to leave motorcycles on a high.
I would buy one and keep it in the lounge if I could, unfortunately she who must be obeyed would not allow it. :(
The VFR did exactly that for about a year before I sold it... stupid how attached you get.

Hi Jon, amazing story :thumbsup: ! Great read!
But a suggestion to you as a former MR2 owner. Why don't you join us on Wednesday for the MX5Cup races? They are far less demanding as the GT3 so they probably are a better match for you with your limitations. And the races are always fun for every level of skill.
Thanks, I'm still getting the Discord and simracing.gp stuff completed, would really like to have made it tonight, love the track and car. Might just drop in and observe if nothing else if I get everything set up by then.

My avatar and the pic below are of my last street bike, an amazingly capable 2001 Honda VFR800FI
Do like the old VFR. When my K1300GT dies I'm thinking of looking for an early 2000 one to replace it as I'm not doing as many miles these days due to work being much closer and don't need the crazy luggage space for staying over.

Nice license plate :D I guess you still got to keep that?

Do like the old VFR. When my K1300GT dies I'm thinking of looking for an early 2000 one to replace it as I'm not doing as many miles these days due to work being much closer and don't need the crazy luggage space for staying over.

Nice license plate :D I guess you still got to keep that?
If you're waiting for that K1300 to die you may have a very long wait! Legendary machinery.
Wish I did still have the license plate, not sure what became of it. I've had several generations of VFR's and VF's. The best to ride of all of them was 1998-2001, with gear-driven cams and excellent EFI and 800cc and not too porky. Second most fun was the VF500F little mini-Interceptor, actually. After 2001 they ditched the gear-driven cams for chains and added vtec and put the exhaust in the tailpiece, and now the most recent ones look like steam punk or something to me. Anyway enjoy the ride, brother!

If you're waiting for that K1300 to die you may have a very long wait! Legendary machinery.
Yeah, not the way I abuse them though! I'm already on my way to needing a 3rd radiator and my brake rebuilds are getting more frequent, so I probably need a new set of pots at the front. And the corrosion.... I tend to wash my bike once a month and it has not faired well at all with the winter roads and my neglect. I now tend to use my old sportster in the winter as it seems to handle it much better

As promised, my "rig". It's a T300 with CSL ELite LC pedals and a TH8 shifter. Recently I got a HP Reverb G2 VR Headset. Now I'm waiting for GPU prices to go back to normal :)

View attachment 453639
Smart use of what looks like an old table top!

That looks suspiciously like a bike dash in VR.... what game are you playing and is it any good? I have not found one I like yet, but I kinda gave up after I tried a bike control simulator that just required you to lean it rather than actually countersteer and realised all the others seemed to do something similar.

Also, is that a VHS tape I spy in the lower left? :D

As promised, my "rig". It's a T300 with CSL ELite LC pedals and a TH8 shifter. Recently I got a HP Reverb G2 VR Headset. Now I'm waiting for GPU prices to go back to normal :)

View attachment 453639

Congrats on getting a HP G2 :thumbsup: a great piece of kit. Good luck on sourcing a GPU when the madness calms down.. Sadly at least here in the UK they will never return to the launch prices of last year I don't think.

Nice rig :thumbsup:
What are your thoughts on the Reverb G2? On paper, it looks like the perfect VR headset for sim racing right now. I've been hovering the buy button for a while but I'm not sure it's worth it since I'm pretty happy with the ultrawide monitor I got now.

Also, I guess you still have problems with AC mixing up your inputs since I can't see any picture of me? ;)

What are your thoughts on the Reverb G2? On paper, it looks like the perfect VR headset for sim racing right now. I've been hovering the buy button for a while but I'm not sure it's worth it since I'm pretty happy with the ultrawide monitor I got now.

Also, I guess you still have problems with AC mixing up your inputs since I can't see any picture of me? ;)

I think it is the best image quality yet in VR (tried them all other than Pimax) and for sims as a seated only experience its other flaws are less noticeable. Check out the owners thread in the hardware forum though, it does comes with quite a few gremlins depending on your PC spec.. I had all the AMD USB issues.

It will eat any high spec hardware you throw at it but I ran it on a 1080ti for a few weeks when I first got mine at reduced settings and it still looked great.

Smart use of what looks like an old table top!

That looks suspiciously like a bike dash in VR.... what game are you playing and is it any good? I have not found one I like yet, but I kinda gave up after I tried a bike control simulator that just required you to lean it rather than actually countersteer and realised all the others seemed to do something similar.

Also, is that a VHS tape I spy in the lower left? :D

Thanks. The table top solution works pretty good. It was just an old wooden plate I had lying around and after getting those LC pedals, I had to find a way to mount those and simultaneously keep my chair in place.

No it's not a bike dash even though it really looks like one. It's the dash from a MX-5 (yesterdays race). VR was already on.

Hehe yes it's a VHS tape. I'm digitalising old family videos. I was very surprised how much data is stored on a ~4 hours VHS tape...

I can recommend it. I tried the old Rift for a couple of days and wasn't happy with the image quality. Even though I'm far away from running the Reverb at full resolution, it looks way better. Racing itself has changed a lot. The immersion is fantastic and it's much easier to hit apexes. I was running a 27 FullHD monitor with a low FOV (33) before and had a very limited sight. Sitting inside the car is great and I'll never go back. Image quality is still far away from FullHD but it's ok. Comfort got better also. It's still a clunky thing on your head but I have no problems using it for a full race evening.

No no picture of you YET. Still in testing but since I activated the option I haven't encountered this problem. Let's give it a few more races ;)

mmm! always looking towards a VR headset, the G2 looks very good, the problem is then a GPU, which leaves me having to upgrade to an rtx3080.
my big hope is a technological breakthrough with VR optics, I live in hope.

I ran the oculus S for a few months, loved it, but after using a 1440p monitor the image was very poor, the car interior I could live with, but chasing a 5 pixels car was less than fun.
Having been bitten once, I am reluctant to go down that path again; for me, it made me quicker, and I really could feel the movement of the car, weird but true, never got my head around that one.:O_o:

mmm! always looking towards a VR headset, the G2 looks very good, the problem is then a GPU, which leaves me having to upgrade to an rtx3080.
my big hope is a technological breakthrough with VR optics, I live in hope.

I ran the oculus S for a few months, loved it, but after using a 1440p monitor the image was very poor, the car interior I could live with, but chasing a 5 pixels car was less than fun.
Having been bitten once, I am reluctant to go down that path again; for me, it made me quicker, and I really could feel the movement of the car, weird but true, never got my head around that one.:O_o:

I found the same with the HTC Vive, a great experience but the resolution just doesn't work for racing games as so much of your focus is ahead of you in the distance. 34" ultra wides can be had now as pretty decent prices so until the breakthrough in VR resolution and availability of GPUs I think these are the sweet spot.

I think it is the best image quality yet in VR (tried them all other than Pimax) and for sims as a seated only experience its other flaws are less noticeable. Check out the owners thread in the hardware forum though, it does comes with quite a few gremlins depending on your PC spec.. I had all the AMD USB issues.

It will eat any high spec hardware you throw at it but I ran it on a 1080ti for a few weeks when I first got mine at reduced settings and it still looked great.
Thanks. The table top solution works pretty good. It was just an old wooden plate I had lying around and after getting those LC pedals, I had to find a way to mount those and simultaneously keep my chair in place.

No it's not a bike dash even though it really looks like one. It's the dash from a MX-5 (yesterdays race). VR was already on.

Hehe yes it's a VHS tape. I'm digitalising old family videos. I was very surprised how much data is stored on a ~4 hours VHS tape...

I can recommend it. I tried the old Rift for a couple of days and wasn't happy with the image quality. Even though I'm far away from running the Reverb at full resolution, it looks way better. Racing itself has changed a lot. The immersion is fantastic and it's much easier to hit apexes. I was running a 27 FullHD monitor with a low FOV (33) before and had a very limited sight. Sitting inside the car is great and I'll never go back. Image quality is still far away from FullHD but it's ok. Comfort got better also. It's still a clunky thing on your head but I have no problems using it for a full race evening.

No no picture of you YET. Still in testing but since I activated the option I haven't encountered this problem. Let's give it a few more races ;)

I might think over it one more time but it's very tempting. I'm afraid I will love the VR experience but not be satisfied with the image quality. I've spoiled myself with a 3080 so I got used to AC on maximum settings with SOL + A3PP. It really looks gorgeous.

Also I shouldn't spend any more money on my rig right now :D Or on anything else for that matter :p

I might think over it one more time but it's very tempting. I'm afraid I will love the VR experience but not be satisfied with the image quality. I've spoiled myself with a 3080 so I got used to AC on maximum settings with SOL + A3PP. It really looks gorgeous.

Also I shouldn't spend any more money on my rig right now :D Or on anything else for that matter :p
Hm... you're making me very curious! I know this thread is meant people post anything by free will, however, just in case you missed it, you're allowed to post pics here. :p:rolleyes::whistling::ninja:

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back