Show us your Rig / Cockpit

I have heard of Phillips Hue but have not seen it or have any idea why it would be better?

This has loads of different colours and brightness and also reacts to noise. I am not really interested in any of that. In fact I only play in VR so can’t even see the red when racing.

What are your plans?
Yeelight/android app supports a music mode that leverages the microphone to flash different colours.

Yeelight/android app supports a music mode that leverages the microphone to flash different colours.

Well these lights do that too and have a remote so no need for any app. They were on offer for £12 from Amazon (now £17) and were 5mtr in length (only needed 4.5mtr).
Check out user videos.
Opard Led Strips Lights 5M Sync with Music IP65 Waterproof 40Keys IR Remote 5050 RGB 16 Colors Led Lighting Strips 12 Modes for Indoor & Outdoor Decoration https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QYL444X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IUZGDbED2Y00K

I have heard of Phillips Hue but have not seen it or have any idea why it would be better?

This has loads of different colours and brightness and also reacts to noise. I am not really interested in any of that. In fact I only play in VR so can’t even see the red when racing.

What are your plans?

I have owned similar to what you have in the past.

The main difference is that the Hue range is compatible with Phillips Ambilight Tvs. The Tv mode offers various options in how the lights are activated to match the display. Some available options try to copy what Phillips do but none are as good as Ambilight.

The additional lights can be bulbs or LED strips. One example would be ACC in a night race and the floodlights shining on certain parts of the track. So you get the light appearing on-screen illuminating the cockpit through the windows, the ambilight on the tv will displays the position of this light accordingly on the walls but with Hue you can then have the room light up at the back behind the rig as if the same light was coming through the side or rear windows.

Other examples would be sunsets or sun glare lighting being positional and transferring from one side of the room to the other as the car turns. Twilight can look awesome too as the room lighting setting pulls you into the screen theme and action. Of course we still focus on the screen so all this atmospheric based lighting is seen more from our peripheral vision. I feel I would miss it if I went for a new TV without it now.

Different modes and options the tv offers, can suit different views or titles, or it can, of course, be toned down in saturation and brightness. Some cases it can be a bit gimmicky in others it works really well that when turning it off you immediately want it back on.

The other usage from it can be, just for a visual aspect to suit a mood or add striking lighting. To me it can look rather awesome with the chrome tubing my build will use, some others may not like such. Apps are available too with features and it can be controlled by Alexa etc.

Last edited:
I have owned similar to what you have in the past.

The additional lights can be bulbs or LED strips. One example would be ACC in a night race and the floodlights shining on certain parts of the track. So you get the light appearing on-screen illuminating the cockpit through the windows, the ambilight on the tv will displays the position of this light accordingly on the walls but with Hue you can then have the room light up at the back behind the rig as if the same light was coming through the side or rear windows.

Other examples would be sunsets or sun glare lighting being positional and transferring from one side of the room to the other as the car turns. Twilight can look awesome too as the room lighting setting pulls you into the screen theme and action. Of course we still focus on the screen so all this atmospheric based lighting is seen more from our peripheral vision. I feel I would miss it if I went for a new TV without it now.

By the time you have done everything conceivable to your rig, i.e. the stuff you would do before this I think you should take a breath and just use the rig for the first time in 5 years. Put this to the side :laugh::laugh:

By the time you have done everything conceivable to your rig, i.e. the stuff you would do before this I think you should take a breath and just use the rig for the first time in 5 years. Put this to the side :laugh::laugh:

I can see the funny side to that, and yeah if you can pay for the wifes new sofa, 2k for my daughter's car insurance and the balance on next years holiday. With a further 5K for toys/components then, yeah I will get right to finish what I need to do and enjoy playing on a new build.:D

Ha ha… 'finish the rig'.... you are so funny.

Before we finish we have to start, lol
I have finally got off my ass and started the new build structure.

Here is an idea of Ambilight and hue but watching videos of it you are focusing on the lights in the room and not the actual screen content. Experiencing the full room lighting can be fun, even cool but is not an all case usage thing. I experimented with it for a cockpit as that's something I like to do and have not seen anyones rig try to use it.

Last edited:
Wow that's amazing. Can that be done with just Hue lights or do you need a Phillips tv too?

I have several hue lights already and would love to know what more is needed to get a similar effect.

Wow that's amazing. Can that be done with just Hue lights or do you need a Phillips tv too?

I have several hue lights already and would love to know what more is needed to get a similar effect.

Yeah it requires the TVs as even the newer options they have released in the past year for monitors isnt as good. YT has several other examples of it operating.

Got my new beast with traction loss and simworx pedals.
20190924_083908-1008x756.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 236 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 164 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years