Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Hi. Something different this time. This is my racing rig, made with MDF, mostly 30 mm and also some 19 mm-thick pieces. I will not paint it because I don't care about aesthetics and I wanted something sturdy, strong, cheap, more or less compact, and easy to build. For those who tell me I should worry about humidity affecting the mdf, I must say I live in a very very dry place, with almost no rain throughout the year. I've put a lot of hours in it, from the design to the building. Both the seat and the pedals are on rails. The driving position is rally-like. I spent many hours testing the position and distance of every element for the best ergonomics. As you can see, there's a sequential shifter, a handbrake, a button box, a small mouse and an extra button mount on the left (for quick access to wipers and other functions, especially on rally driving). I've also included wireless minimouse and minikeyboard. All the electronics are below the bucket seat. The connectors are on the front (audio for the shakers, hdmi for the dashboard monitor and usb for the hub which connects all the devices. For monitor I'm using a big TV on my desk, so I slide the cockpit when I want to play and connect the cables. I've been testing it today for the first time with Dirt Rally and it's amazing. No flex, no vibrations (apart from the bodyshakers haha), and a very comfortable position, with everything at hand. I like it and I'm happy I made it myself. Some photos:

mdfcockpit01.jpg

mdfcockpit02.jpg

mdfcockpit03.jpg

mdfcockpit04.jpg

mdfcockpit05.jpg

mdfcockpit06.jpg

mdfcockpit07.jpg

mdfcockpit08.jpg

mdfcockpit09.jpg

mdfcockpit10.jpg
This is a super clean rig. I like it a lot. Do you have any sketchup plans you would be willing to share? Nice work!

No problem. I've included 2 pdfs, both in 1:10 scale. The first one includes the designs (side and top view). The other one has the pieces of mdf I ordered to the carpenter. All are editable vectors.

Consider that you will have to take your own mesurements depending on what gear you have (seat, steering wheel, pedals, etc.). I did a lot of tests before the designs. Also, my setup is very much like a rally driving position, with the steering wheel close to the driver, and the seat not as inclined as a gt driving position.

I'm not sure. I suppose there are sim racing fans all around the world, and that's cool. Greetings from Spain!

http://www.alvarezeninternet.com/temp/mdf-cockpit.zip

final rig sorry for the blur image guys
- 4 Monitor 3x27, upright 24
- Fanatec Gears
CSW 2.5
Pedal V3
Universal HUB
Handbreake
Shifter
- HE Sequential Shifter
- SimracingHardware Wind
- 4 bass shaker with 4 amplifier
- NLRV3 Attach
- Cheap Bride seat with sparco QR seatbelt

Attachments

• 20180719_210644.jpg
    20180719_210644.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 812
  • 20180719_210650.jpg
    20180719_210650.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 801
  • 20180719_210655.jpg
    20180719_210655.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 747
  • 20180719_210706.jpg
    20180719_210706.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 801
  • 20180719_210735.jpg
    20180719_210735.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 797
  • 20180719_211413.jpg
    20180719_211413.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 846
nice 1 {whats with the seatbelt LOL}

Racing cars have seat belts right ? So why not in Sim, Even normal Static rigs it brings up the level of immersion. Try it, maybe you'll be like us one day, In that its just instinct to put on your belts before pulling out of the pits. My belts rattle pretty good from Tactile and slapping the back of my seat during motion if i dont have them on. So a nice reminder.

You can score a set for 50$ from AliExpress or Ebay, Sparco Knock offs FTW!!!!

Not my setup (wish it was), but just wondering if anyone could tell me what tachometer this guy is using? Possibly its a real one he has hooked up custom? Also, its not the RPM warning light, wondering what that little blue flashing light on it is?

Close enough to "done" to post a final pic of my furniture-grade PVC rig:

mostly done_Sm.jpg

I've done a bit more since this pic but this is basically it. I've mounted my HOTAS controllers and did some cosmetic things like covering the pedal deck and hiding most of the cords and cables. For build 3.0, in another decade from now, maybe everything will be wireless...

Just moved in and got a new mat for my rig! Lol
View attachment 261877

Wish I had the room you’ve got but I have to make do with a small bedroom with only just enough room to get a rig in. I have to move it also so I have it on caster wheels otherwise I’d never have it.

Still not really finished, waiting on 2 120cm profiles to replace the base 140cm ones, one was dented in a couple of places and I’m supposed to be getting a replacement for that and I’m buying another one so I can shorten the rig, as you can see from the pics I’m strapped for room so every little helps and there no need for the Sim Labs P1 to be as long as it is for all but the tallest people.

Also forgot to mention I’ve modified the rig, got two 40x80 profile pieces to replace the 40x40 to raise the seat above the pedals and a 50cm 40x40 to help lower the pedals as they are a bit high by default. Then the whole rig has been raised by four extra profile pieces with the caster wheels attached as I have to use the TV attached to, well everything including my PC which is wall mounted above a desk on a arm so can be swivelled to face the rig, wish I could get closer but this is the best I can do for now. This is my first rig, just happy to have one finally.

Last edited:
Update on my rig: new shifter added, a push-push rally style shifter by Ascher Racing, with a custom paddle (3D printed) and a custom mounting solution. I also replaced the module on the left with the same model I had but 3D printed, adding one extra button.

leva-instalada1.jpg

leva-instalada2.jpg

panel-izquierdo.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back