should i reduce refresh rate of my monitor if my FPS not met its refresh rate?

• Thread starter Deleted member 963434
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 963434

• Deleted member 963434

quick question.
i got 144 Hz monitor and i set it to such refresh rate, but some of my sims not met 144 FPS, most of them max out at 100-120 FPS and some stay at 60-80 FPS.
i wonder if refresh rate shall be matched with FPS to have best sense of motion or something? maybe to have better input lag or something?
shall i stick to 60hz and lock FPS at 60 then? to have less input lag or motion sense?

You didn't mention any hardware brands and models, but do you know if your 144Hz monitor supports variable refresh rates (e.g Freesync or G-Sync)? You would need to activate it in the game (if supported). How you activate it would depend on the brand of video card you're using.

Basically VRR takes the guesswork out and dynamically adjusts the refresh rate on demand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 963434

i dont think it matters much but cpu is ryzen 5 3500xm gpu geforce gtx 1060 6gb
monitor is LG 34UM69G 34" 2560x1080px IPS
it has freesychbut not supports nvidia gpu,
BTW i think any synchronization makes lag worse so i dont know why yo asking that?
my question is simple if i use 144 Hz refreshing and not have 144+ FPS in games shal i reduce refresh rate of monitor? I mean if it refresz 144 frames per second but my game not make 144 FPS is that refresh rate working good? i mean i have 144 Hz refreshing but game makes 60 FPS so i not use that 144 Hz refreshing and could it make input lags?

Upvote 0
i dont think it matters much but cpu is ryzen 5 3500xm gpu geforce gtx 1060 6gb
monitor is LG 34UM69G 34" 2560x1080px IPS
it has freesychbut not supports nvidia gpu,
BTW i think any synchronization makes lag worse so i dont know why yo asking that?
my question is simple if i use 144 Hz refreshing and not have 144+ FPS in games shal i reduce refresh rate of monitor? I mean if it refresz 144 frames per second but my game not make 144 FPS is that refresh rate working good? i mean i have 144 Hz refreshing but game makes 60 FPS so i not use that 144 Hz refreshing and could it make input lags?
I really don't think it would make a noticeable difference. You could always try though?

Are you having issues with input lag?

Upvote 0
If the model of your monitor is correct (LG 34UM69G), that's a 75Hz monitor, not 144Hz. If you allow the game to display more than 75fps you'll probably end up with screen tearing, which might be a visual distraction.

Even though the monitor isn't g-sync compatible, you might still be able to get it to work ok. I'm using an AMD GPU, so I don't know the exact steps if you wanted to try it. If you can't sort that out, I would just cap the framerate at 75fps or turn on V-Sync. As long as your 1060 can run at 75fps without any severe dips, you should be fine.

Upvote 0
Freesync and gsync have far less input lag than the traditional synchronization methods.
If you're not competing for $30.000 at the highest level, you'll probably have a more enjoyable experience with freesync enabled.
This! But I'd like to add that you better cap the FPS under the max refresh rate of the display when using Gsync or Freesync. Once your FPS goes over the max refresh rate, you switch back to traditional vsync which adds input lag.

So cap at 140fps for a 144hz display and 161fps for a 165hz display when using gsync/freesync.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 963434

i dont have any issues with input lag.. maybe i had before i changed settings on my graphic card to PERFORMANCE instead of QUALITY. after i changed it i noticed like cars react better to my inputs on wheel and pedals. i just ask that out of curiosity if should i reduce refresh rate if my fps not match refresh rate speeds.

If the model of your monitor is correct (LG 34UM69G), that's a 75Hz monitor, not 144Hz. If you allow the game to display more than 75fps you'll probably end up with screen tearing, which might be a visual distraction.

Even though the monitor isn't g-sync compatible, you might still be able to get it to work ok. I'm using an AMD GPU, so I don't know the exact steps if you wanted to try it. If you can't sort that out, I would just cap the framerate at 75fps or turn on V-Sync. As long as your 1060 can run at 75fps without any severe dips, you should be fine.
then i link wrong monitor, i was too lazy to look at back of monitor so i googled it, but for sure i had 144 Hz monitor i even had 144 Hz refresh set in windows display settings.

Upvote 0
No, keep the refresh rate at the max of your display. This will always give you the fastest response.
But you might see tearing on the monitor if the FPS is not in sync with the refresh rate, so that's why we suggest to enable Gsync/Freesync and cap just under the limit of your monitors refresh rate.

If you FPS is over the monitoring refresh rate, I prefer to disable Gsync/Freesync.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing