Should I buy RF2?

I've been enjoying SCE for the past 6 months and after a slow start and a bit of tweaking I enjoy playing all the reiza content.I play offline. Because of my job I cant commit to a league and even pick up races are impossible to find. Reiza has started with public servers and I manage to show up few times but not many were racing.It's my problem.. Leaving in australia you can only race online with Roos and dingoes :)
I was wondering if maybe buying rf2 would give me more chances to find random races. At the moment its on sale...
I know this isn't rf2 forum but if I asked the same question on that I would get biased answers;)

Thanks

dynamic (of a process or system) characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.

Simbin were the first to introduce dynamic track rubbering in 2004 with Livetrack which featured in GTR, GT Legends and GTR2. It used a system of predefined rubbering over the race weekend - the racing line and rate of rubbering is pretty predictable in a FIA GT race - and compared to the static track conditions in sims of that era (and indeed some today) it certainly meets the definition of dynamic.

The next generation of dynamic track rubbering came in 2010 with Codies F1-2010 where track rubbering wasn't predefined but dependent where the cars were driven and how often. This is obviously a more flexible system for sims which are not limited to a single racing series and essential for oval racing where the racing line is not predictable. As posted above, rF2, iRacing and pCARs use this second generation system, iRacing also adding the effect of heating to the rubbering arguably making it a third generation system.

Maybe fourth generation dynamic track will include the effect of rain between practice/qualifying/race and the effect of other races sharing the track during the race weekend.

If you like SCE then you will like RFactor 2 as-well. The physics engine of RF2 is just an evolution of the RF1 physics engine which is what SCE uses (and no matter the car, no matter what genius combination of numbers Niels or any modder/content creator plugs into that core physics engine, every car still drives/behaves like RF1 and that will never change unless Reiza start making changes to the core ISI physics engine [pMotor, tyre model, etc. etc]).

dynamic (of a process or system) characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.

Simbin were the first to introduce dynamic track rubbering in 2004 with Livetrack which featured in GTR, GT Legends and GTR2. It used a system of predefined rubbering over the race weekend - the racing line and rate of rubbering is pretty predictable in a FIA GT race - and compared to the static track conditions in sims of that era (and indeed some today) it certainly meets the definition of dynamic.
You call pre-defined, scripted, sections of track surface with lower grip coefficient, as "dynamic track rubbering"? Lol

rF2 has less random open races than Reiza I think, but leagues are strong there
but i doubt it has a more active online playerbase than GSCE. (pure speculation, haven't entered the multiplayer in rF2 yet)
R2's MP is more active than SCEs'. It's not crazy active like some mainstream game, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely more active than SCE.

Last edited:
You call pre-defined, scripted, sections of track surface with lower grip coefficient, as "dynamic track rubbering"? Lol

Livetrack is not limited to sections of track with lower grip (marbles) but also includes a racing line which increases in grip. As I explained above static means it doesn't change with time, and dynamic means it does change with time. Since Livetrack does change grip levels with time it is by definition dynamic. Does this mean properly calibrated second generation dynamic grip isn't an improvement? No of course not, just as in 10 years time you will look back at rF2s Real Road and say "you call that dynamic track rubbering"?.

For most of us who race the AI - the cars doing the rubbering are the AI which run on predefined scripted sections of track. Even with rF2s Realroad, (and I would suggest real life except oval racing) if you run the same race the track will rubber in in the same way every time.

Last edited:
Reactions: hex
For most of us who race the AI - the cars doing the rubbering are the AI which run on predefined scripted sections of track. Even with rF2s Realroad, (and I would suggest real life except oval racing) if you run the same race the track will rubber in in the same way every time.
True, I understand where you're coming from but in RF2 the rubber-laying characteristics are dynamic rather than scripted. Different cars/tyres rubber the track differently. The amount of cars and amount of laps run will make a difference too. So even AI racing - where the line being driven barely changes - will always be different unless you always run with the same type of cars/tyres and same amount of cars.

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna leave rf2, the game is good but I think that GSCE take enough of my not much time and I still have a lot to try.
Also in 18 months we probably will have the new reiza 2017....
The only reason I'd buy rf2 is for the multiplayer but i don't think is busy enough to justify 70 Aussie dollars for the life time option.......
If rf2 will last as long as rf1, there'll be plenty of opportunity to buy it on sale on steam...

Thanks everyone :)

Last night I had some time so I played:
rFactor2 (on STEAM!)
Assetto Corsa
SCE
and Project Cars.

My favorite: Project Cars. I know, that's generally heresy around here, but I can overlook its flaws.

But, I took a spin around Interlagos in rF2 and SCE, and the SCE version looked so much better than rF2. What is it with rF2's gross textures and dark lighting? SCE may not be the best at anything, but it is great at so many things, that I rank it 2nd or 3rd most valuable sim for me. Give me pCars, Dirt Rally and SCE and I'm covered, offline and online, offroad and on track.

I toyed with buying the lifetime rF2 package on Steam b/c its relatively cheap, but thne I ran the sim and was disappointed again. Some cars are great (the F2s and F3s) and some fall completely flat.

I actually dig RF2 a lot. Not as much as GSCE , but it is a close 2nd. I don't care for AC at all for some reason. Things just don't feel right with that sim no matter how much I play around in it. I haven't tried PC cars yet , but I'll probably end up getting it here before to long. I have the huge package deal Steam had last year ( maybe they still do , and I bought all the old simbin titles. I have like 20 freakin' driving sims! The old ones don't look at good , but dang they are still pretty fun!

There is absolutely no reason for someone to play GSCE while there is rF2. (personal opinion). I bought it only for 18€ but i cry for my money.
It's so advanced when comparing with GSCE,that you will wondering why you lost so much time of your life in GSCE.
(now you can press the "funny" button or say that i don't know what i am talking about, but a single race in rF2 will prove me right. Facts).

You are comparing rF2 to rF1 basically.

Wait for the upcoming changes to GSCE or even better wait until their upcoming title is released, then you're comparing 2 sims of the same generation.

But as long as Opalas, brazilian Stock cars and the great brazilian race tracks are unique to GSCE it will get launched on my PC ;)

[QUOTE="hex, post: 2132264, member: 19831"<Mod edit: Off topic post removed>[/QUOTE]

Its only his opinion mate. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years