Should DRS be removed from Formula 1?

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Formula 1 - Should DRS go?. Please add to the discussion here.

With two races out of the way, we have experienced the new 2022 regulations and how the cars race. Should the Drag Reduction System (DRS) be removed from Formula 1 or be kept? The 2022 regulations were a massive overhaul of the car regulations. The 2022 regulations which were originally slated...

Eventhough my YES is huge :D because I consider both DRS and the mainly US used PtoP as some artificial entertaining-ish things - then I have to admit that when I first saw a MotoGP on TV I instantly did fall in love with this motorsport.
Partly because you are able see the drivers physically moving around = pretty entertaining.
but also because there are a lot more overtaking taken place = also pretty entertaining.
In MC racing all these overtakings (compared to car racing) is possible because a bike is so narrow that you cannot obstruct the driver behind as you see all the time in car racing.

So eventhough I consider both DRS and PtoP as completely artificial in car racing then if they were abandoned something else had to prevent how a driver in front can obstruct a faster driver to overtake.

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Formula 1 - Should DRS go?. Please add to the discussion here.

With two races out of the way, we have experienced the new 2022 regulations and how the cars race. Should the Drag Reduction System (DRS) be removed from Formula 1 or be kept? The 2022 regulations were a massive overhaul of the car regulations. The 2022 regulations which were originally slated...
You know I had no idea they were using this technology - having only recently returned to F1 because the cars look prettier (the nose-cones don't look like the Devils nostrils anymore!! Can anyone tell me why the noses started to look that in the first place?). Keep it if it's not dangerous and makes for more entertaining races.
But my biggest gripe with F1 in the modern era are the 0.7 second (or whatever) pitstops - THEY ARE JUST RIDICULOUS and as far as I am concerned detract from the ethos of the sport (that being a team-effort to victory), but obviously more than anything they take one of the biggest dramas completely out of the race. Yes it might seem unfair to lose a race because the driver forgot to apply the breaks in the pits (recently watching San Marino 1986), but it has just killed one of the most dramatic (and tactical), parts of the race. Bring back the jack-hammers and 5 wheelnuts I say - they just got too perfect that it became dross in the end.

Absolutely. It is an overcomplication of the systems and virtually useless. F1 outlawed intelligent designs such as automatic transmissions, active suspension, and 4WD (though I wasn't in favor of those either) while mandating this idiocy. Though a devout technophile (I'm an engineer), I want to see the driver be more, not less, of the equation. At the rate they're going we'll soon have fully autonomous F1 cars and the winner will be the best computer.

I am always for getting rid of gimmicks in racing. DRS technology itself is not a gimmick but the rules that govern its use obviously are. At least the IndyCar P2P is more fair.

I come from a time where the cars could provide awesome battles and championship fights without stupid extras that diminish the drivers skill. I'm looking at you 2007 and 2008.
So that's a resounding yes from me.
Make good cars without DRS, what the heck is so hard about that? F1 without DRS has existed longer than F1 with DRS and has produced many awesome title fights, in the DRS era we've only seen seasons such as 2012, first half of 2013, 2017 and 2021 that have given us racing even worth talking about. The most races were won in the pitlane in this time.

Just saw Italian Grandprix at Imola the race was wet as it rained. Once the track dried out the drivers could not use DRS. Even though some drivers could do with it as cars where bunched up. Normally i would say get on the radio to race director but rules limit communication after the Massi saga of 2021. The FIA should of let teams use DRS sooner. So yes we need it. Aesthetic as it may be.

This highlights a long standing dichotomy in racing - is the driver or the car more important. In the fifties and sixties it was generally conceded each was equally important, but since then the equation has shifted to place more importance on the car, a recent article stated that in F1 the driver is a mere ten percent. When Mario Andretti took the F1 championship in '78 he was disgruntled that it was accomplished in a car so much better than the rest of the field. Frank Williams does not hire top line (at the time) drivers because he wants it known it is his car, not the driver, responsible for the wins.

And the goals of a "Drivers' Championship" and a "Manufacturers' Championship" cannot be accurately determined by a single series. In the former you want a spec racer series, identical cars so the driver is the differentiating factor. But for the latter you would want identical drivers so the car is the major determinate, impossible when dealing with human drivers ...but possible with today's technology. F1 could stage a true "Manufacturers' Championship" allowing active suspension, active aero, fully automatic transmission, DRS, etc. and with an FIA sanctioned computer program supplied to each team as a "driver", individually programmed for each car/track.

As an engineer I would be fascinated by this, but anything short of this I want basic mechanical cars with the driver in control.

This is the only way to answer question run a Grandprix with no DRS. Run the same race at the same track with DRS. And look at the numbers. If passing is up then keep it if down eliminate it. Side note both events must be dry for a perfect piture as you cant use DRS in wet conditions.

The problem is you need downforce in turns for grip, that way you cary more speed and power into straight away. The tracks have short straights and many turns as most are built for motorcycles. The problem is Downforce kills top end power on straights due to Friction. So you need a lower profile on the straights for top end power. So setup is a comprimise over grip and top end power. And DRS alows you to have the best of both worlds. In the future you will have 3 setings for wings front and rear High Medium and low and you can alter downforce profile in the car based on the tracks demand's. In traffic you can run more wing and up front you can run less.

This highlights a long standing dichotomy in racing - is the driver or the car more important. In the fifties and sixties it was generally conceded each was equally important, but since then the equation has shifted to place more importance on the car, a recent article stated that in F1 the driver is a mere ten percent. When Mario Andretti took the F1 championship in '78 he was disgruntled that it was accomplished in a car so much better than the rest of the field. Frank Williams does not hire top line (at the time) drivers because he wants it known it is his car, not the driver, responsible for the wins.

And the goals of a "Drivers' Championship" and a "Manufacturers' Championship" cannot be accurately determined by a single series. In the former you want a spec racer series, identical cars so the driver is the differentiating factor. But for the latter you would want identical drivers so the car is the major determinate, impossible when dealing with human drivers ...but possible with today's technology. F1 could stage a true "Manufacturers' Championship" allowing active suspension, active aero, fully automatic transmission, DRS, etc. and with an FIA sanctioned computer program supplied to each team as a "driver", individually programmed for each car/track.

As an engineer I would be fascinated by this, but anything short of this I want basic mechanical cars with the driver in control.
The thing that separates all the teams is airo. As most teams run the same engines and parts (eg. Suspension Grearbox) The driver gets the glory or the failure but the smart people are designer's strategists and they are in the shadows away from the media.

Sport is contest between the people involved that we get to watch , entertainment is a movie or a soap opera et al.
I hope this will help end your confusion.
A mouvie is entertaimnet orcerstrated with hero's and villans. The rulles can orcestrate the event and play in favour of a team, but all sports are like that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back